Jez

Is he that good really? Only seemed part of a good side at the WC to me

Me too. He was the Rebrov to Özil's Shevchenko IMO. He's a water carrier and a much poorer one than both of the Diarra's already @ Réal.

I think you are a little harsh to be honest, looks a good player to me, whether he is Real Madrid good is another matter. Time will tell, it wouldn't be the first time they brought someone in and then never really used them.

Aurelio back to Liverpool - WTF? Not annoyed or anything, I always said he was decent but I've never seen us do that before. We resigned Ian Rush many years ago but that was after a year!

Weird.

Aurelio back to Liverpool - WTF? Not annoyed or anything, I always said he was decent but I've never seen us do that before. We resigned Ian Rush many years ago but that was after a year!

Weird.

Strange. How many weeks of the summer did you not pay him for then?

They offered him pay as you play and he told them to do one. Then he came back cap in hand and they offered him a (relative) pittance that was still the best offer on the table. That's the story that's doing the rounds anyway.

That's interesting, I think unless you're a very special player, now isn't actually the best time to be a free agent. Outside of the top couple of hundred, Mr Bosman isn't actually helping many players at the moment.

Its not the Bosman ruling imo, its the economic situation. Players seem to think they are worth more than in reality they are. For a few years players were able to negotiate better wages because of the lack of transfer fee. Now there are players coming to the end of their contracts on great wages and they are finding that no-one is prepared to pay them as much even though there is no fee. Football clubs appear to be getting more realistic in the pay stakes (apart from the top players as you point out), footballers don't seem to have realised this. It is another factor in the state of the current transfer market. In fact it could be the exact reason we are supposedly finding it hard to offload the players we would like to and the reason that there aren't many players in the sort of bracket we're looking at who seem to be on the move, they will be better off financially where they are. Most clubs appear to be attempting to anticipate a downturn in income, players don't seem to be getting this

By the sound of it liverpool were letting him train whilst looking for a new club and woy liked the look of him, so he never actually left

He didn't, no. But by 'come back' I mean his agent probably exhausted all avenues and he had to accept whatever 'plop decided to give him.