Jez

Debuchy will be a great signing I reckon.

Godammit Newcastle, stop being so good.

How the **** do they keep getting such good transfer deals?!!!!!

Because Liverpool gave them £35m for Andy Carroll (completely undermining themselves in the process), and because they have a great chief scout. That's it, basically, and now they have some momentum behind them. They got lucky but they are using it well.

If anyone wants to give us £35m for Agbonlahor and trade Glenn Roeder for some talent spotting genius we might be in the same position.

I just said it. Win by 3 or 4 pts. That City 11 is or should be '3 or 4 pts a season' better than that Utd 11. Easily.

So Manchester City's perceived success or failure is based on how many points other teams get? :bang:

Because Liverpool gave them £35m for Andy Carroll (completely undermining themselves in the process), and because they have a great chief scout. That's it, basically, and now they have some momentum behind them. They got lucky but they are using it well.

If anyone wants to give us £35m for Agbonlahor and trade Glenn Roeder for some talent spotting genius we might be in the same position.

I know, I'm just frustrated :)

It's their negotiating that's so good, how they get such good prices.

I don't buy that this Graham Carr is such a genius. Cabaye, Cisse, Santon, Ben Arfa, these weren't unknowns, they were top players in top leagues, they've just had some stones and gone for them. Many fans get snobby and call signings like that Championship Manager signings when rumours start, but guess what, they work!

The only player they signed I hadn't heard of was Tiote, and I bet it wasn't rock hard to see him standing out in a title winning team in Holland if you watched a few league games.

Ben Arfa was a full French international and had five title medals and a ton of Champions League experience when Newcastle signed him. I still cant believe Shearer said that nobody knew anything about the bloke on MotD. I'd heard of him and I dont get paid to be an "expert" on the game.

Why are people talking about Ibrahimovic and T.Silva as if they have already signed for PSG? While the transfer fee has been agreed with Milan, the players themselves have yet to commit pen to paper and I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion that they will do so, this is the French league we're talking about and no doubt players of Ibra and Silva's quality will need assurances about winning the CL, on top of the money.

Ben Arfa is the only one they had an excuse for getting so cheap (£2m?), as he'd decided to start behaving like a bastard at Marseille, so they wanted him gone. All the others were standout players for their team, and they got them all on bargain deals. Quite funny really, for so many years people have cried that building a team as you would on a game never works, well there's at least one case where it has.

Graham Carr - Nothing Special

The whole BBC panel needs a real revamp. They totally reworked football focus 2 years ago and it's an excellent show again now. Drop Hansen and Shearer ASAP, though I do think Linekar is a decent presenter.

It's worrying how much better Sky do football than the BBC. I mean, I know there's alot more money in the Sky coverage, but still the gulf in broadcasting quality is insane.

BBCs best pundit is Lee Dixon (which is saying something in itself..) and they don't use him enough.

Shearer is a nice guy and knows alot about attackers movement and tactics (at least enough to chip in with constructive comments to the average viewer - although many on here will see his comments as obvious I'm sure, but not every MOTD viewer follows football as closely as we do), but he doesn't know enough about the footballing world. Same goes for Hanson.

Lawrenson can just **** right off.

I think the main problem with MOTD in all formats (whether it be for international or domestic fixtures) is that it is so stale. The same boring old farts, stating the bleeding obvious, never really rocking the boat, out for some easy money and then a few rounds of golf together the day after the show.

They need someone like James Richardson to come in and freshen up the place. He was excellent on Gazetta Football Italia, whatever happened to him?

They need someone like James Richardson to come in and freshen up the place. He was excellent on Gazetta Football Italia, whatever happened to him?

He has been presenting the best football show in the world for the last four or five years. Have you never listened to Guardian Football Weekly?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/footballweekly

He does some regional work for BBC south too.

Ah, no I have not - I will check it out though (especially when the seaosn starts). I've seen his name mentioned as a correspondent and a writer across various sources but never really understood why he didnt get back on the box.

However, in the very small number of times I caught MOTD last season, anyone else just skip through the "summarising" anyway? I really don't give two monkeys what Alan Shearer has to say at the best of times, he has the charisma of a dead fish. It always looks like they are all trying to play a part, and its tiresome.

Back on topic though - my tuppence on our immediate rivals - Newcastle seem to be building another team to crack the top 6, and if they can keep hold of Demba Ba and ride their luck with injuries again they will probably do it. Liverpool are a bit of an enigma, it can either go well or very badly, I expect Rodgers to have his work cut out from the very start like Hodgson did. Fulham could be dark horses for a high finish, Jol seems to be recruiting wisely again. I can't see West Brom having as good a season again as they did last year.

The problem is that there is no problem. They're fulfilling their remit exactly as they probably should to appeal to most viewers.

Most people watching don't want to see Jonathan Wilson and Michael Cox discussing the benefits of a false-nine over a trequartista .

They want to be told that yes, Wayne Rooney can be just as good as Messi and that the pundits "ent never heard that Ben Arfa fella" either. It's designed to appeal to the casual fan.

And those of us that would prefer to see a little more tactical analysis will still watch it even if the analysis just consists of them throwing their own shit at each other. Because we want to watch the football.

He has been presenting the best football show in the world for the last four or five years. Have you never listened to Guardian Football Weekly?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/footballweekly

He does some regional work for BBC south too.

Football Weekly is generally really good, and I've been saying for ages that James Richardson should present MOTD (and that they should bring back Gazzetta!) but I can't see the BBC doing anything. Anyway, I've started listening to The Football Ramble recently, and I'd say it's better than Football Weekly. Both excellent, though.

I would love it if Hansen, Shearer, Lawrenson etc were kicked off MOTD. The fact that Hansen's earnings equated to around £40k per episode is absolutely ridiculous, when there are so many people out there who could offer far better insight at a much cheaper cost. However, I think they've all signed new deals relatively recently.

I prefer Weekly to The Ramble, both shows are excellent though. The kicking that The Ramble gave to Lawro recently was extremely well argued and completely justified.