Jez

But with the money and players , a poor Man U side and Chelsea in crises his team really should have won the league without breaking into a sweat

United got 89 points. Poor sides do not get 89 points in a season.

If possible, I agree with Tony & the Rev. It's all relative y'see. That Man Utd starting 11 last season was poor compared to Man Utd sides of the past 15 years. How on earth they finished with 89 pts only goes to further enhance Fergie's mythical powers of management. They weren't 'a poor side' in relation to everyone else of course. But Citeh certainly should have made much easier work of it. I put it down to the trials of winning your first title. I suspect they'll be better this year now they have the knowledge of how to do it and the confidence that it can be done.

If possible, I agree with Tony & the Rev. It's all relative y'see. That Man Utd starting 11 last season was poor compared to Man Utd sides of the past 15 years. How on earth they finished with 89 pts only goes to further enhance Fergie's mythical powers of management. They weren't 'a poor side' in relation to everyone else of course. But Citeh certainly should have made much easier work of it. I put it down to the trials of winning your first title. I suspect they'll be better this year now they have the knowledge of how to do it and the confidence that it can be done.

yeah rev raises a valid point that poor sides don't get 89 points ,and i used a poor choice of words , so BOF's reply was exactly what I meant

I think peoples expectations were too high. What did City have to do to fulfill them? Finish the season unbeaten and collect 100 points?

Finish the season unbeaten and collect 100 points?

No, just not require a 94th minute winner in the final game. They should have won the league by 3 or 4 points, that's all. I expect they probably will this season, for the reasons I gave above.

I think peoples expectations were too high. What did City have to do to fulfill them? Finish the season unbeaten and collect 100 points?

when you have that much money, 120 points was the least i expected :winkold:

:crylaugh: Oh how I do not miss this rocket polisher. Imagine the prospect of the same old shit this summer.

O'Neill patient over signings

Black Cats boss in no rush over summer transfer business

Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill remains keen to strengthen his squad this summer but will not sign players 'for the sake of it'.

The Black Cats returned to training earlier this week with only one new face, that of former Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar, among their ranks.

That situation is unlikely to change markedly before they head for the Peace Cup in Korea next week, although O'Neill is confident of movement once they return.

He told The Journal: "When we come back from South Korea, I would expect the situation to change.

"We are obviously in the market to try to strengthen our team, of course. I think that's pretty obvious - all football clubs will be trying to do that.

"But for us, it would be nice to add a couple of fresh faces - not just for the sake of it, but to improve the quality of the squad, which is what we are trying to do."

Focus

The Black Cats' main focus will be on attack, with Asamoah Gyan having completed a permanent move to United Arab Emirates side Al-Ain and Nicklas Bendtner back at Arsenal following his loan spell.

Wolves forward Steve Fletcher has been repeatedly linked with Sunderland, who have also been credited with interests in the likes of Junior Hoilett, Aiden McGeady and Steven Nzonzi, among others.

Owner and chairman Ellis Short has indicated that there will not be wholesale change, but that the club will be in the market for the handful of quality players they believe will help to establish them as regulars in the top 10 in the Premier League.

We'll be getting a £10m deadline day offer of him for Gabby. I'd bet my nads on it.

On behalf of the whole of VT we accept that bet.

I will ask to prepare a glass case for your knackers.

And Gareth, there'll be no invoking the "it was a private bid" clause. If there isn't a verifiable quote from either side then they'll be gone-nads.

I hated the fact that SUnderland had MON last season and we had McLeish.

Now however, it all seems worth it! :D

Enjoy deadline day, Mackems.

They must be soooo excited. Only 48 days 'til the Sunderland transfer window opens :mrgreen:

Debuchy will be a great signing I reckon.

Godammit Newcastle, stop being so good.

How the **** do they keep getting such good transfer deals?!!!!!

Will be an interesting race for 4th this season I reckon, just like it was last season.

Also, Borini to Liverpool deal agreed.

Finish the season unbeaten and collect 100 points?

No, just not require a 94th minute winner in the final game. They should have won the league by 3 or 4 points, that's all. I expect they probably will this season, for the reasons I gave above.

In any other season they would have though. Again, Manchester United posted the highest points tally a runner up has ever managed in a 38 game season. Other than beating them home and away (which they did) what could city do?

I just said it. Win by 3 or 4 pts. That City 11 is or should be '3 or 4 pts a season' better than that Utd 11. Easily.