Jez

30m for Bony effectively pushes the price of Benteke down... because Bony has played better over a considerable period whilst Benteke has only 3 goals and is coming back from a nasty injury. This is bad for us.

Reduces Benteke's options for moving on in the prem really, can only really see Chelsea as a realistic option for him in the near future e.g. next 6 months.

I'd much rather see him go abroad when the time comes.

Arsenal is realistic. I can see him upfront with Sanchez.

Isn't he going to the African Cup of Nations?

So they're essentially buying a striker for injury problems that will be fixed by the time he gets back?

Maybe they see him as an upgrade on Dzeko?   It seems he will try agree personal terms before he flies out to Africa later today (Wednesday) too. 

Reduces Benteke's options for moving on in the prem really, can only really see Chelsea as a realistic option for him in the near future e.g. next 6 months.

Yerp especially how bad Welbeck and Giroud are.

Do people really value Benteke at £30m? Not sure if serious.

No I don't.

But neither do I rate Bony at £30 million, Lukaku at £28 million or Berahino at £23 million.

But I rate Benteke as better than all three of those.

So if that's the going rate, so be it.

So if that's the going rate, so be it.

People seem to always underestimate the rate of inflation in football. In modern football £30m isn't really that much for a player. Man City pay that for pretty much every new player they buy. For a "world class" player now it's £50m+. £30m just gets you a decent player which is what bony is.

• Like 1

Yerp especially how bad Welbeck and Giroud are.

Yeah Welbeck is a good back up. Arsenal fans I know don't like Giroud.. So I think Benteke.. with his ability to hold up the ball.. a quality midfield like Arsenal would link up really well.

Its gathering pace, I doubt Man City would be involved if they are about to spend £30m on Bony.

From the BBC:

12:29

Interesting stuff from Luis Enrique there then. The Barcelona boss seemed pretty confident about his future at the club but was remarkably non committal about the recent rumours surrounding his relationship with Lionel Messi.

We will hear from the Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu at about 15:00 GMT.

Luis Enrique is asked whether he thinks Lionel Messi is still "delighted" to be at Barcelona:

"I don't want to comment. We know things change and a month is a long time. Things have changed but it is up to you to speak to parties involved. I am as happy as ever here, happier even."

Barcelona boss Luis Enrique declined to comment on reports that Lionel Messi was upset at starting on the substitutes bench for the defeat by Real Sociedad and that he had a falling out with the player:

"At the moment it just seems to be negative vibes, nothing positive. I don't think I should be asked to confirm any or deny any of these rumours. It would stir up more problems than it would solve. Things are going to happen during the season and it is up to us to sort it out," Enrique said.

"Things that happen between the team and the players will always be kept [like] that. My job is not to discuss the rumours, it is to be first team manager."

Edited by Genie

Surely if Messi and Enrique have had a fall out then Enrique would have to be the one to leave? I'm wondering how anyone could possibly afford him without breaking FFP rules anyway.

Surely if Messi and Enrique have had a fall out then Enrique would have to be the one to leave? I'm wondering how anyone could possibly afford him without breaking FFP rules anyway.

I guess the fine would be factored into the fee. Only a few owners could sanction such a deal really.

What if they did payment in installments? Would that still comply with FFP?

Edited by PieFacE

I've got no idea at all I'd have thought the punishment would more than financial though. I can't imagine Messi playing for another club and in the end I think he'll stay where he is.

can't see platini kicking out psg.

it's the ultimate sanction sure but they can ban clubs over crowd violence/racism etc,but all they do is fine or games behind closed doors so i can't see them actually kicking out a top club over ffp.

• Like 1