1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Labour
    • Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • UKIP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • BNP
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not Voting
    • The Party for the reintroduction of the European Beaver

What makes you believe a Tory Government will save the Economy? They haven't reveal the full extent of their plans to the public yet, all they have done is hint and talk about implementing a DIY/Big Society

From the Independent, I know not the political affiliation of the journo but it's an eye opening read

http://bit.ly/bpAkDC

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am presuming Cowell is backing the Tories and not the beavers? TBH does anyone care what celebrities think?

Simon Cowell, the television personality who has also had direct dealings with both Gordon Brown and Mr Cameron through his charity work, was typically direct. “I’m not affiliated to anyone,” he said, “and nor will I ever be.”

As Max Clifford, his legendary publicist, said: “Simon Cowell will always be the leader of the Simon Cowell party — which is totally independent.

link

Comedians are interesting when they dabble in political things - you get your Jim Davidson's of this world supporting the Tory party and then people like Bailey and Eddy Izzard being Labour supporters.

Peter Stringfellow, Paul Daniels, Phil Collins ........... :-) always makes me smile when I see that list coming out

Quick question? Why are all the Birmingham seats called Birmingham Perry Barr, Birmingham Hall Green etc yet Sutton Coldifeld is just sutton Coldfield?

They are in Birmingham, have been since the 70s. Or is it more to do with what I often hear from Suttoners that they don't want to be associated with Birmingham as its seen as common?

BTW they've been handomsely rewarded with projects from Birmingham City Council ever since the Tories gained it so they should be more open to it!

I am presuming Cowell is backing the Tories and not the beavers? TBH does anyone care what celebrities think?

Simon Cowell, the television personality who has also had direct dealings with both Gordon Brown and Mr Cameron through his charity work, was typically direct. “I’m not affiliated to anyone,” he said, “and nor will I ever be.”

As Max Clifford, his legendary publicist, said: “Simon Cowell will always be the leader of the Simon Cowell party — which is totally independent.

link

Comedians are interesting when they dabble in political things - you get your Jim Davidson's of this world supporting the Tory party and then people like Bailey and Eddy Izzard being Labour supporters.

Peter Stringfellow, Paul Daniels, Phil Collins ........... :-) always makes me smile when I see that list coming out

Sure. But the clearing in the woods celebs will probably have a greater effect. Bailey and Izzard are probably preaching to the converted - who will already vote, and probably vote Labour.

Whereas I can see the Self-Righteous Brothers types who wouldn't normally bother to vote quite possibly being swayed by the likes of Davidson. "Top geezer, 'e is...."

Quick question? Why are all the Birmingham seats called Birmingham Perry Barr, Birmingham Hall Green etc yet Sutton Coldifeld is just sutton Coldfield?

They are in Birmingham, have been since the 70s. Or is it more to do with what I often hear from Suttoners that they don't want to be associated with Birmingham as its seen as common?

Simply because it was named before it was part of Birmingham.

if that continues I wouldn't be surprised to see a Labour majority of around 15 seats.

could be interesting as that would then suggest Clegg will have failed to have won many seats and may have to fall on his sword , Cameron will have to fall as well and Brown could still also be removed by his party

so we could get 3 new leaders in the event of a Labour majority ?

Simply because it was named before it was part of Birmingham.

Yep, Sutton Park was a deer hunting estate for Henry VIII, hence Royal Sutton Coldfield. Birmingham was still five miles away then!

if that continues I wouldn't be surprised to see a Labour majority of around 15 seats.

could be interesting as that would then suggest Clegg will have failed to have won many seats and may have to fall on his sword , Cameron will have to fall as well and Brown could still also be removed by his party

Almost makes it worth voting Labour

I think Clegg is the safest in his role as leader out of the three Tony. I still am happy with my bet on Hague being leader on the Tory party 18 months after the election

I think the idea that you vote for a party because of a luvvie or a celebrity is silly. That they have a better opinion than anyone else suggests something wrong with peoples thinking. I admire someone like Glenda Jackson, because she has put her political ambitions at the forefront and given up acting, and appears it matters deeply to her, for some of the others its just more of lets get more exposure.

Peter Stringfellow, Paul Daniels, Phil Collins ........... always makes me smile when I see that list coming out

i raise you Mick Hucknall & Gerri Helliwell

though of course there is Michael Caine worlds greatest actor from 1997 to 2010 for you to retort with .....

What makes you believe a Tory Government will save the Economy? They haven't reveal the full extent of their plans to the public yet, all they have done is hint and talk about implementing a DIY/Big Society

From the Independent, I know not the political affiliation of the journo but it's an eye opening read

http://bit.ly/bpAkDC

A very interesting read, a very emotional one also.

I dunno, I think the Lib Dems know Clegg is punching above his weight and their support post debate 1 was unsustainable, they peaked far too soon in the campaign, which have gave people enough time to really think about why they'd vote lib dem and what they actually offer, which isn't really much.

Their manifesto wasn't really wrote to be a huge vote winner, I'm guessing if they knew they'd get that sort of popularity spike it'd read a lot different.

Clegg will probably feel he can do better in the next election, which won't really be all that long away, so they'll probably keep him on for that.

Cameron's position if they don't win is definitely untenable though, hell I'd say his position if they don't get an overall majority is. To fail to be streaking ahead in the polls after the public has become disillusioned with Labour so much is frankly pathetic.

Brown might see it as a job well done to manage to win no matter how small the majority is, a lot of if he'd stay would be based on the party support for him. There's no doubt he knows politics, but, there's a huge section of the population that just won't ever vote for him. I really don't expect him to last too long regardless of the result. He could pull off a shock overall majority and still be stabbed in the back because he's a figure that divides opinion.

So I'd expect 2 out of the 3 to fall, with Clegg staying because who can name another Lib Dem MP? And he's done a pretty decent job of getting himself out there into the publics minds, and you can argue that the policies are what's wrong, not the leader.

Personally I couldn't give a toss about who celebs are voting for it is of no importance at all and shouldn't in my view be worthy of news.

I agree - the thing is with it all is how they convey the message I suppose

Tory supporting Frank Bruno for example - can't imagine him being a wow at political rallies. Izzard is interesting because you can see he is a very well educated man and from various things that he accomplishes and gets involved with you listen to what he has to say.

Cilla Black and Jimmy Tarbuck, both declared Tory supporters on the other hand I don't think could keep the interest going for very long

Gary Barlow has been used by the Tory party - what's that they used celebrities? :shock: - never strikes you as the most interesting person. A successful song writer and you can argue that he is good (or bad) in what he does.

John Cleese used to do a lot for the LibDems and was always a good debater on political and social matters.

with so many MP's from the last parliament resigning to go and play with their moats and duck houses etc , will this be some sort of record for new MP's - and how long will it take to get through the first speech thingy they have to do in the HOC

So I'd expect 2 out of the 3 to fall, with Clegg staying because who can name another Lib Dem MP? And he's done a pretty decent job of getting himself out there into the publics minds, and you can argue that the policies are what's wrong, not the leader.

I would say most people know Vince Cable, Simon Hughes, Charles Kennedy, Sir Menzies Campbell, and that guy who dated the weather girl, the cheeky girl, Lembit Opik. Down in the South West they are pretty dominant so maybe its more.

Izzard is interesting because you can see he is a very well educated man and from various things that he accomplishes and gets involved with you listen to what he has to say.

I thought that going on about Ashcroft was a bit daft; new Labour loved the donations in the early days and sucked up to any business man they could.