Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

We’ve comprehensively beaten them over the three matches, outclassed. Feels so good after the pain of the test series!

Buttler (and Woakes) were something else today. Different players keep stepping up.

• Like 1

Yeah, Australia look well off the pace as a one day side at the moment. Steve Smith is a vastly better batsman than Eoin Morgan, but he looks well out of his depth as a one day captain - bereft of ideas and unable to inspire his team.

Edited by MrDuck

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Its difficult though after the ashes series to motivate yourself for an odi series. Better to play it before the main event rather than after. Might be more meaningful

Every game between Australia and England is meaningful!

11 hours ago, Rodders said:

they're playing ODI cricket as it was played 5 years ago.

Totally this. Be interesting to see how they go in the T20s, considering the wealth of talent they have in the Big Bash League.

On 1/21/2018 at 22:32, MrDuck said:

Another great win for England's ODI team, that's the series. A 5-0 whitewash looks a good chance too. Buttler superb, and to win that one with one of our key bowlers off the pitch injured made it even sweeter. Never seen an England ODI team this good before.

Playing well at moment but were England not in pretty good form before last World Cup and that ended in a damp squib. Think the players have mentality issues for big games

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Playing well at moment but were England not in pretty good form before last World Cup and that ended in a damp squib. Think the players have mentality issues for big games

Attitude and strategy of the team has completely changed since (and because of) that last world cup. And - world cup aside - there are no bigger games for them than a series with Australia. Unlike the test team, the mentality has looked perfect.

Although it's England, so you never know.....

• Like 1

Australia going to win this one, you would think, but even when England have a simply appalling start - 8/5!! - They still almost posted 200 - such depth. Woakes with a crucially brilliant 78, and Curran next highest scorer with 35!

Australia now 51/2 -( Woakes with 1 )  should still take it comfortably, but we have at least fought back to some respectability.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What do we make of Stokes returning to the ODI side today? Aside from the fact he was MOTM, took two wickets, two run outs, and scored 63 not out with the bat, I just don't get how he's been picked? Why did they wait for the decision of whether he was going to face a court case or not, before picking him? Surely they should wait till after the proceedings, before even considering him?  I don't get why it's OK now, but not for the Ashes? Especially as nothing is actually sorted yet. Seems really odd to me, I just don't get it.

don't really know. Details may emerge after the trial I guess. 

For me the ECB were between a rock and a hard place, he obviously had broken trust and there is video footage of him lamping someone. ECB didn't want disruption, or I guess the allegation they weren't taking allegations of violence lightly. So took a precautionary measure, with retroactive punishment included in it too (so unless the courts suggest he's done something particularly heinous beyond what is suspected, there'll be no more suspensions ). But of course, legally it's still innocent until proven guilty, and having allowed him to play in NZ, and be available for the Indian cricket, there was an obvious limit on how long this indeterminate banishing could take place, hence making him available again whilst he defends himself. 

Perhaps he could have played in the ODI series previously? But I think they were waiting to take their lead from the courts as to what he would be charged with if so. Not an easy decision. 

• Like 1

Yeah, agreed Rodders.

I think for going out on the lash during the one day series suspension was right.

Re the Bristol brawling type incident, there comes a point where effectively  preventing a bloke from working, whilst he's not been convicted of anything can move towards punishing an innocent man.

There's no real way to Deal with it that is going to be anything other than a sort of individual case - there's not really a precedent, or established course of action.

43 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Two late wickets put england back as favourites as NZ need 25 from 16 balls.

However this is the england cricket team we're talking about!

“This is the England cricket team” has a whole different meaning in ODI cricket. It means anything is possible, in a positive way. They’re brilliant.

For tests and T20, it retains its traditional context.

Â