Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Yep, he is a top player no doubt (Bob Willis tipped him some years ago) but .... does this smack of when Botham was appointed or Gower? Great players but not necessarily good captains. Don't forget, Brearley was an excellent captain but not that great as an opener. Hope I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

nothing more satisfying than India getting humiliated at home on a doctored spin-friendly pitch by an average spin attack :lol:

The Aussie spinners are certainly on top form 

On Sat Mar 04 2017 at 11:15, Zatman said:

nothing more satisfying than India getting humiliated at home on a doctored spin-friendly pitch by an average spin attack :lol:

Take it you didn't enjoy the conclusion of the test match too much then :P

On 3/5/2017 at 21:15, chappy said:

Chris Woakes has quietly become one of England's most vital players. So happy for him, another class performance today. And a Villa fan to boot! :wub:

good article on cricinfo on him here

http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-england-2016-17/content/story/1085630.html

Ashley Giles tells a story of going round to Chris Woakes' flat when Woakes was a teenager who had just broken through at Warwickshire.

It was a Friday night and Giles was keen to deliver something to Woakes before he went out for the evening. But when he arrived, he found Woakes settled in for a night on the sofa, wearing compression stockings and drinking a protein shake.

Woakes, you see, had decided to give a career in professional sport everything he had. And he knew that, to maximise his talent, he would need to make sacrifices and demonstrate a discipline that most young men could not imagine. Giles admits to being both impressed and surprised. He has, on many occasions, said that of all the cricketers he has known, it is Woakes' character he would like to clone..

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Third game of the CC for Warwickshire tomorrow, we've been absolutely abysmal so far.

Our lack of signings and batting depth is going to cost us dearly this year I think, losing Chopra and Evans and not replacing them is criminal.

• Like 2

and already, Giles is saying we will be in a fight to stay up. You have put your finger on it with the lack of signings; couldn't understand Evans departure at all and heard the Chopra's wife was unhappy in the Midlands - don't know if  that was true though. Makes me wonder if the money spent on our (members) 'Gift Packs' and glossy brochures could have better invested in players !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

and Worcs have got Nathan Lyon !!!  What the hell were Warks doing when he became available ??  Particularly important as we may lose (arguably) our best player, Jeetan Patel, to The Blackcaps ! I've got a very nasty feeling about the coming season; could be an interesting year to be a Warks and Villa fan.

Yes, looking at the current side, there doesn’t seem to be too many players in their 20’s. they’re either fairly raw late teens or in the most part mid-30s coming to an end type players.

To be a Warwickshire and Villa fan is to win the lottery of life……

Yes hard times ahead I am afraid. I can't understand the lack of players that have come through our academy compared to other counties. we persisted with players like Webb who I could tell 8 years ago was never good enough. Who has come through since Chris Woakes that has made it even at county level.? Hain came over at 16 I think. we have relied on signing failures at other counties and I include Chopra, Wright and Clarke in that. We cant compete for the marquee signings because we owe too much money. 

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We cant compete for the marquee signings because we owe too much money. 

I think that's possibly not quite right. I know there's whatever 30 million owed because of the ground, but there's also a decent load of international and T20 finals day stuff lined up, the conferencing is bringing in more money and the loan from the council is "soft". I think the club while it has large debt, will still be able to pay reasonable wages for players. 

It has been a problem competing with other sides for wages. yes its not like loaning from a bank but we still have to make the repayments. 

Edited by PaulC

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

It has been a problem competing with other sides for wages. yes its not like loaning from a bank but we still have to make the repayments. 

Yeah that's true. I think my point is that the high level of international fixtures etc at Edgbaston will bring in the revenue to make those repayments. Also the way the fixtures were allocated was changed a little while ago, when the highest bidder system was abandoned and an overall benefits/ facilities etc judgement criteria brought in.

• 4 weeks later...
Â