Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I wonder how much the decision was affected by the IPL auction due in a couple of weeks and whatever Pietersen may have said about his availability for England on the back of that.

Much though Pietersen angers me sometimes, I don't think the comment about the 'team ethic' rebuilding ought to have gone hand in hand with the news that the England management team have decided to call time on the international career of England's current leading runscorer (in all formats according to the Beeb article). It seemed unnecessary.

Edited by snowychap

No surprise, great player but has an ego the size of the universe.

However, with the ECB getting rid of him after the absolute thrashing we recieved in Australia in all formats sends out the wrong signals. It makes it seem like they are getting rid of him, because he is the main reason we lost in Aus, which he isn't.

Has a more damaging tour ever happened before?

Ok we lost but the team has now been irrevocably destroyed at pretty much very level.

Just need Cook to retire citing acute embarrassment then the Aussies can wake up because all if their dreams will have been fulfilled

Edited by villaglint

The team that started the tour down under-

Cook

Carberry

Trott

KP

Bell

Root

Prior

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Tremlett

How many of them can you honestly say will be playing in the 1st test against Sri Lanka in the summer?

The most damaging period of English cricket in recent history, even more so than 06/07.

Outrageous decision to end his career.

The only English batsman in the last 10-15 years who had oppositions stressing when he arrived to the crease.

He is a maverick and mavericks need to be treated in an entirely separate way in order for them to produce the goods for your team. Look at the likes of Ibrahimovic and to some extent Suarez in Football. 

Oh well guess he can play the IPL freely and be part of a team he is genuinely appreciated.

• Like 1

The only English batsman in the last 10-15 years who had oppositions stressing when he arrived to the crease.

He is a maverick and mavericks need to be treated in an entirely separate way in order for them to produce the goods for your team. Look at the likes of Ibrahimovic and to some extent Suarez in Football. 

Oh well guess he can play the IPL freely and be part of a team he is genuinely appreciated.

Totally. Cast aside cos of petty politics, just like we did with Gower.

And shit as he was on this tour, he still scored more runs than anyone else in the team. The first thing they should be changing is the captain, Cook's decision making in the Ashes was the worst I've ever seen from a Captain.

• Like 1

Opposition stressing and audience salivating.

Whether he is an egotistical tosser is of no concern to me, i'd just like to thank him for the sheer entertainment.

• Like 2

His talent was undisputed but I reckon it is fair to say a very arrogant individual; so would you want him in your team, particularly if you don't have Brearley's management skills (re. Botham). From reading his book, I think Gower fell out with Gooch over training methods, application and such. Agreed there is no-one else quite like him but if he was disruptive......

The next England team is going to look very different isn't it.

Wonder if he will stop at Surrey - only a Second Division team.

Having slept on it, although I'm still unhappy at the way it has happened, there does seem to be some logic in the decision (playing Devil's advocate for a moment). When a team needs to get back some unity and togetherness, the maverick or egotistical players are an easy target. Short term it seems silly, because he can still play and has the ability to still be the star of the show. Long term though it may be better for the team, and it also sets an example to the younger generation as to what is acceptable behaviour. Either way it's a massive shame that such a great player has had such a meek ending to a brilliant international career.  

It seems the England cricket team is determined to get rid of anyone who might rock the boat no matter how good they are. They did the same in the past to the likes of Graveney and Boycott who came back by public demand and KP can do the same. It seems that Downtown may be looking to make a bigger name for himself in his new role than he did as a WK for England at whatever the cost and I would think the captain would want the best players with him rather than a team of "yes men".  

His talent was undisputed but I reckon it is fair to say a very arrogant individual; so would you want him in your team, particularly if you don't have Brearley's management skills (re. Botham). From reading his book, I think Gower fell out with Gooch over training methods, application and such. Agreed there is no-one else quite like him but if he was disruptive......

The next England team is going to look very different isn't it.

He should feel privileged to play for such a fine County steeped in history .. Edited by tonyh29

But good management is about dealing with characters like KP and getting the best out of them, not taking second-rate players instead to make your life a bit easier. The shambles that was the Ashes suggests that the problem was bad management all round, only a couple of players looked like they could be bothered. 

The rumour is that KP got into a ruck with Cook and grabbed him by the throat isn't it ?

If true there was only ever going to be one outcome

I saw comments from Michael Vaughan rubbishing those rumours this morning. Cook doesn't strike me as the sort to lose his temper like that either. 

But good management is about dealing with characters like KP and getting the best out of them, not taking second-rate players instead to make your life a bit easier. The shambles that was the Ashes suggests that the problem was bad management all round, only a couple of players looked like they could be bothered. 

He's left Notts, Hants, England, etc. everytime it's the same thing. Maybe the shambes that was the Ashes was in part because there was a lack of unity, and team bonding and harmony. Maybe KP was partly the cause of that. He's the type of person who will slag off his Captain to the opposition (strauss). Maybe he's such an arse that he's simply unmanageable over any period of time. When things go well, maybe a team can live with it, but when things start to go wrong, and he makes them worse, then it's time to say "no more".

His form in the past year or so has been mostly ropy, anyway. Occasional good ininngs, but so often rubbish. He's not the player he was.

• Like 1

One of the betting tippsters I follow on Twitter has picked the following outside bets for the new England Head Coach:

Vaughan 20/1

Collingwood 20/1

Strauss 66/1

Hussain 66/1

A combination of Vaughan and Collingwood would be a good call I think. Although I can't see it being anyone other than the King of Spain to be honest.

England have announced their squad's  for the West Indies ODI'S/T20 and the World T20.

England squad to tour the Caribbean: S Broad (Nottinghamshire-captain), E Morgan (Middlesex - vice captain), M Ali (Worcestershire), R Bopara (Essex), T Bresnan (Yorkshire), J Buttler (Lancashire), J Dernbach (Surrey), H Gurney (Nottinghamshire), A Hales (Nottinghamshire), C Jordan (Sussex), M Lumb (Nottinghamshire), S Parry (Lancashire), J Root (Yorkshire), B Stokes (Durham), J Tredwell (Kent), L Wright (Sussex)

England squad for World T20 in Bangladesh: Broad, Morgan, Moeen, Bopara, Bresnan, Buttler, Dernbach, Hales, Jordan, Lumb, Parry, Root, Stokes, Tredwell, Wright

We are going to get thrashed.

I agree with you Veloman. He is an exceptional talent but his record since returning to the side hasn't been very good and he is a disruptive influence and not a team player. 

I'm delighted Moeen Ali has got the call up. I have been watching him play since he was a 16 yr old coming through the Warwickshire academy and he's the most naturally gifted batsman i have ever seen. Class batsman! and his bowling has come on since he's learnt a few tricks from Ajmal.

Â