Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I let out a few swears when they came off too, but bad light, like bad weather is part of the game.

Indeed.

I also wonder what the reaction would have been had England been 9 down and they'd come off?

As for Test cricket dying as someone said earlier - I'm not so sure one can say that of a particular series like this where, for example, this last Test match was sold out in February so they were reporting.

I think they also need to look at fielding teams slowing the over rate, something that England are probably as guilty of as anyone at times. Docking match fees simply doesnt work. Last night Australia bowled 11 overs in the last hour of play and were only getting slower. They should look at ways of forcing teams to bowl at least 15 overs every hour throughout the day with penalty runs applied for failing to so.

I think they also need to look at fielding teams slowing the over rate, something that England are probably as guilty of as anyone at times. Docking match fees simply doesnt work. Last night Australia bowled 11 overs in the last hour of play and were only getting slower. They should look at ways of forcing teams to bowl at least 15 overs every hour throughout the day with penalty runs applied for failing to so.

Your name is exactly how I feel about qll this

And they wonder why people prefer the shorter games?

Don't really agree with this. Test cricket is still the pinnacle of the sport. Disappointing finish yes, but we've still seen some great cricket.

Exactly this. I don't even class T20 or one day games as proper cricket. They are a necessary evil to generate revenue.

Disappointing finish to the game yesterday but rules are rules. If it was dark enough to come off the other day then it was dark enough last night. If we'd have been 100-9 we'd have welcomed it. 

3-0 and a solid series victory. The next series will be harder as the Aussies did show signs of coming together. I still think we'll take them down there. Less pressure for us over there. I have been amazed by the vitriol shown by the media and some fans to Cook and his captaincy. What do people want?! 

• Like 1

What exactly is the point of the floodlights?

To extend the conditions in which play can take place (which I believe it has done an awful lot this series).

Had there been no floodlights then yesterday's play (and Thursday's) would probably have finished a good deal sooner.

They aren't supposed to be a substitute for daylight, though.

Say England were at 8 wickets yesterday, with the series tied at 2-2?

Then play would have ended with the game and series drawn. Edited by snowychap

Already getting excited about the series in Aus

I think it's 60-40 in our favour at the moment. It will be a tough win

Agree, the series down under will be a lot tougher than it was here. Think that England will still have enough to beat them 3-1 or 3-0 though if we play to our potential, ie: Cook, Trott, KP, Prior all make runs and we sort the issue of the 3rd seamer out. Would have Tremlett as 3rd seamer with Bresnan as back up.

Agree, the series down under will be a lot tougher than it was here. Think that England will still have enough to beat them 3-1 or 3-0 though if we play to our potential, ie: Cook, Trott, KP, Prior all make runs and we sort the issue of the 3rd seamer out. Would have Tremlett as 3rd seamer with Bresnan as back up.
Not so confident, Cook won't mature as captain over a few months, our bowling attack has lost its edge and the only player I have confidence in is Bell.

Plus the Ovalpiss thing looks like the players are becoming out of control again.

3-1 loss.

Edited by dodgyknees

Harris injured for 6-8 weeks. might not be fully fit for next series. This for me will swing the pendulum England way as he is their best and most consistent bowler. I like Siddle for his effort but he doesnt have enough consistency. can have 1 great test and do nothing in next game

Was going to put this in the Rotherham Match thread but it may be OT  .... great picture of Ian Bell in Villa top holding the Ashes urn in last nights programme.

im sure somebody has changed this to their avatar already. good photo though

Simple rule change required. The expectation is that each team bowls 15 overs and hour. (90 in a "normal" day) If this is not achieved the batting side is awarded an additional run per ball not bowled. So an over rate of 12 an hour all day (72 overs) would lead to an additional 108 runs added to the total. Umpires would retain the discretion to waive this addition if circumstances prevent teams reaching that target. eg. injury, batsmen fiddling with sight-screens, Trotts constant **** scratching etc. A 10% tolerance would also be allowed before penalty runs were added. 

Not so confident, Cook won't mature as captain over a few months, our bowling attack has lost its edge and the only player I have confidence in is Bell.

Plus the Ovalpiss thing looks like the players are becoming out of control again.

3-1 loss.

Out of control? They were drinking a few beers in the Middle of the night and had a piss hardly bad boy behaviour.

3-1 loss.

Out of control? They were drinking a few beers in the Middle of the night and had a piss hardly bad boy behaviour.

Yeah. Don't see anything wrong in all honestly. I'd have done the same. There were no members of the 'public' there.

Â