Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

It could be that the SkyGo app is getting this wrong, But I don't see why SuperSU would be installed unless it is rooted. Have you lent it to anyone? Otherwise I'd think about returning it to where you bought it as it is not fit for purpose if it was supplied rooted.

Are you sure it really has root? Install Android Terminal Emulator, start it up and write su in the terminal and see if you get a popup from "supersu" or any other root app to elevate the privileges.

• Like 1

The SkyGo app probably checks the permissions of /system or for the existence of certain known binaries in /xbin etc.

The cheap independent non-Google approved stuff can have anything as a build. It's pretty easy to get standard baseboards with ARM drivers, then compile Android from AOSP source.

It may even check in android.properties for ro.product.model against a known list of acceptable devices, then give a generic 'rooted' error message if it's not in the list.

I'm afraid that while the cheap unbranded stuff is good value for money, these kind of things happen with them.

• Like 1

Hey guys looking for some help making a decision here,

my S3 decided to die for no reason last night(i suspect some update killed it as there were no warning signs),and have 7 months of contract left =[.
I don't know whether to buy a cheap phone to get me through, buy a decent phone and then go sim only, or cancel my contract a get a new one.

Ideally I don't want to cancel my contract 'cos it will cost me about £100, so are there any hand sets you guys would recommend?, I'm a bit out the loop as i wasn't expecting to be looking for another 6 months.

Just in case anyone here knows anything more than I do this is what i've tried to fix my S3.
It won't boot past it's first screen, I can't access recovery mode(to do a system restore), and I can only access a 'download mode' where I should be able to reinstall(flash) all the stock firmware, but it(odin) wont even let me do that saying a need a pit file, so i found the pit file as a last resort and it still doesn't like it. I've trawled the internet and got nowhere.

thanks in advance

Hey guys looking for some help making a decision here,

my S3 decided to die for no reason last night(i suspect some update killed it as there were no warning signs),and have 7 months of contract left =[.

I don't know whether to buy a cheap phone to get me through, buy a decent phone and then go sim only, or cancel my contract a get a new one.

Ideally I don't want to cancel my contract 'cos it will cost me about £100, so are there any hand sets you guys would recommend?, I'm a bit out the loop as i wasn't expecting to be looking for another 6 months.

Just in case anyone here knows anything more than I do this is what i've tried to fix my S3.

It won't boot past it's first screen, I can't access recovery mode(to do a system restore), and I can only access a 'download mode' where I should be able to reinstall(flash) all the stock firmware, but it(odin) wont even let me do that saying a need a pit file, so i found the pit file as a last resort and it still doesn't like it. I've trawled the internet and got nowhere.

thanks in advance

The phone is faulty. Take it back to where you bought it. I'd suspect the primary storage has failed.

If you want to ask about contracts, this really is the wrong thread.

I'll be getting the HTC One M8 despite the ridiculous name. It looks absolutely beautiful.

I've reservations about the camera, but I'm no budding David Bailey.

If you're buying the phone, 3 are selling it for £450 IIRC and it comes SIM unlocked. I'm picking one up tomorrow :)

• Like 1

If HTC would put in a camera to match the quality of the rest of the phone they would have even more of a winner than they have now. I can't understand why they don't do this.

I think HTC have got it bang on. People who are superserious photographers buy SLRs... they don't generally clearing in the woods around with camera phones (yes pedants I am aware there are exceptions to the rule, our own B23 for example)

MOST   camera phone users do so as casual on the go snaps, low light selfies or nightclub shots. They want higher resolution in lower light rather than super high resolution for example.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

I agree with both views, its a distinctly workmanlike average camera that kind of works mostly and on the other hand they don't need to enter the silly megapixel race BUT the camera should be a little better considering phone price/its a flagship.

If HTC would put in a camera to match the quality of the rest of the phone they would have even more of a winner than they have now. I can't understand why they don't do this.

I think HTC have got it bang on. People who are superserious photographers by SLRs... they don't generally clearing in the woods around with camera phones (yes pedants I am aware there are exceptions to the rule, our own B23 for example)

MOST   camera phone users do so as casual on the go snaps, low light selfies or nightclub shots. They want higher resolution in lower light rather than super high resolution for example.

When the S4 and HTC One came out generally in reviews of both phones the HTC One came out on top for its design but the camera was better on the S4. The camera on the m8 still hasn't improved much and those who don't want to take expensive SLRs on holiday or at concerts but still want photographic quality may have chosen the S4 for exactly those reasons since there's very little operating difference between both phones.

Consequently I think HTC have missed a trick here. Those who have purchased the S4 or now S5 rather than the HTC One due to a better camera would have certainly been influenced by a better camera in the m8 and thus HTC would have practically cornered the market in flagship mobile phones with being more aesthetically pleasing, great camera and the best sound system.

I want to purchase the m8 but am being held back with the thought that maybe the next upgrade by HTC might include a better camera and thus create the perfect all in one phone.

Or me really Eames. Purely from a marketing point of view and most of us willing to fork out for the best gadget available would probably influence the gadget freak. I still think though that it would cut out the choice for a lot of people going either for a better camera or better sound system and design. If you could have all three in one phone that would certainly influence my purchase.

Â