Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Definitely, I used to be able to go a week without charging on my old dumb phone, now my phone gets charged every night, and often during the day as well. When I'm at my desk it sits in the dock so it charges then. The battery does take a fair pounding if you're using it constantly, turning the brightness of the screen down helps a huge amount. I can get a good 12 hours out of it with pretty heavy usage, but it's certainly not a phone to take on trips if you're going to be away from power and want to get any sort of use out of it.

Ok I'm using Swype version 1.56.30.7625.t100 and I've a few tips to fix the sorcery levels

In settings have Auto-Spacing, Auto-Capitalization and especially Word Prediction turned on.

Also in Speed vs Accuracy I've moved it 2/3rds of the way towards error tolerance.

You can also turn the Word Choice setting a bit further towards Never to decrease the number of times the word choice window pops up, that's a personal preference.

Anyway all these things have really made a huge difference, I'm very happy with Swype again. Speed levels are back up to the levels they were on the previous version.

Definitely, I used to be able to go a week without charging on my old dumb phone, now my phone gets charged every night, and often during the day as well. When I'm at my desk it sits in the dock so it charges then. The battery does take a fair pounding if you're using it constantly, turning the brightness of the screen down helps a huge amount. I can get a good 12 hours out of it with pretty heavy usage, but it's certainly not a phone to take on trips if you're going to be away from power and want to get any sort of use out of it.

You had.better get an iPhone then!

You had.better get an iPhone then!

Why would I want to downgrade like that? :o

On the whole swype thing (especially for dirk and limpid), how well does swype work with ssh?

I expect that I will, probably not a lot of the time, but enough and with enough value to make it important, to ssh and have to muck about with shells and so forth. To my way of thinking, that sort of thing works best with a physical keyboard.

crap mate. Mainly due to this bug . I can tap stuff out but if I make a mistake it's all over. I haven't experimented with exporting TERM to anything else yet and you could maybe sort out a key combination in Swype for CTRL-H. I'll have a mess and report back.

Ok Ive never been too big on hitech phones, I'm ususally a year or two behind. Currently got a samsung touch screen which is fine.

However I've seen the huge fuss of the iphone and been impressed and as i have a bit of disposable income and have managed to get a graduate job, and the fact that I'll need to be able to read my emails on the go I need one of these new type phones. Ive tried the blackberrys which everyone at uni had, and top be honest don't like them, I've looked at the iphone and although I like the layout etc its just so expensive.

So thinking about a HTC Desire? Can anyone tell me anything about it, and inparticular the Androis system as its completely new on me. I'm told its just as good as the Iphone apps? Can i buy FM on android like you can on your iphone etc?

After a bit of research I've narrowed it down to a Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire. Really can't decide, the galaxy looks a lot like the iphone in layout but uses android. Anyone got any thoughts?

Does the HTC Desire use a laptop style keyboard for texting in terms of layout all the traditional mobile type?

Its a touch screen, obviously, but the stock HTC sense keyboard looks like this:

htc_kb2.png

The bold letters are from a short press, the grey letters are from a long press (so if you want to type the number 8, you hold the letter i for a second. There is a dedicated number and other punctuation keyboard if you press the 12# button. This picture is of it in landscape mode, but it auto rotates to portrait mode if you have the phone that way. You can set it up to be a T9 style keyboard if you prefer, I have never done it myself.

You can also download alternative keyboards or input methods (swype for example) if you want.

Of course I'm not going to be completely impartial because I own a Samsung Galaxy S but I've had an Android phone for 2 years now and I follow the platform quite closely including what phones are around. On my T-Mobile upgrade they didn't carry the Galaxy S at the time so I had the Desire as a free upgrade but never got it out of the box, kept it sealed and then ebayed it. I had to pay around £80 extra to get the SGS but I wanted the best phone out there no compromises.

Everyone at work has the Desires and for ages I wanted one. They are very nice devices and HTC have done a great job. However, hardware-wise they just don't have anything on the SGS. See this pic: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/06/smartphone_stats_v2.0.jpg (for Desire, see Nexus One)

The features the Samsung has over the Desire are:

* 1GHz ARM A8 Cortex CPU (same as the iPad)

* PowerVR SGX540 (3 times as fast the iPhone 4 / iPad / Desire, almost twice as fast as a Nintendo Wii)

* Faster memory

* Six-Axis movement sensor

* 720p HD video recording

* 8/16GB onboard SD + external SD

* 4 inch Super-AMOLED screen

* Lighter

* Longer battery life

* Front-facing camera

Ref the battery question - If you go on holiday you need your charger. My phone lasts just about 2 days but smartphones these days are very much plug in overnight, use during the day. Features such as GPS, Bluetooth, 3G, WiFi all use power and there has to be a tradeoff somewhere. These devices are more powerful than lots of laptops from 2 years ago yet can't weigh anywhere near them.

Oh I forgot it does TV-out from the 3.5mm jack and it will play almost any format media file whereas most other devices will only play certain types of H.264 MP4. The only criticism is that it looks like an iPhone hardware and launcher-wise. Although most people (myself included) just install LauncherPro and be done with it.

I'll make a vid tonight of mine.

Â