Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Google have just revealed App Inventor which will let anyone develop an app for android. I'm in two minds if this is a good idea or not, it'll create a glut of apps from people with no skills and bad ideas, but surely amongst all that there should be a few gems? The platform is going to live or die by it's apps, and if the market is flooded with substandard apps created with a tool like this, surely that's going to put people off?

I guess that it's just going to further the argument that the market needs filtering, it needs the ability to make an app as spam, and it needs a huge clear up because there's already too many soundboard and ringtone apps.

If people are allowed to make their own apps then it should be tightly controlled. I read during the week that certain iPhone apps are actually spyware or some sort of sh*t like that. Peoples details been taken off their phone, i don't know how they're doing it but surely that should be a simple enough warning for Google. If people want to do their own apps then they should all be tested for compliance and safety. I rarely download unauthorised apps unless I've put some research into them first.

You made a HUGE mistake getting an android phone then.

I don't really get what you mean by "unauthorised apps" as 99% of the market is what you could call "unauthorised apps" with "authorised" ones being the ones installed on a vanilla android install or made by google. Anything else, including the sense UI HTC phones come with, the facebook, twitter, and just about every other app is "unauthorised" because there is no authorisation process.

Android is extremely safe in that an app has to ask permission to be able to do anything. If you install an app that's asking for access to your contacts your messages and the internet, when it really has no need for any of them, then don't install it. Apps on the market are also scanned for malicious code so you'd find it extremely rare to find any spyware on android.

Essentially, you should have got an iphone if you want "authorised" apps because there is not and never will be a review process for apps on android, it goes completely against the openness of the platform.

Google have just revealed App Inventor which will let anyone develop an app for android. I'm in two minds if this is a good idea or not, it'll create a glut of apps from people with no skills and bad ideas, but surely amongst all that there should be a few gems? The platform is going to live or die by it's apps, and if the market is flooded with substandard apps created with a tool like this, surely that's going to put people off?

I guess that it's just going to further the argument that the market needs filtering, it needs the ability to make an app as spam, and it needs a huge clear up because there's already too many soundboard and ringtone apps.

If people are allowed to make their own apps then it should be tightly controlled. I read during the week that certain iPhone apps are actually spyware or some sort of sh*t like that. Peoples details been taken off their phone, i don't know how they're doing it but surely that should be a simple enough warning for Google. If people want to do their own apps then they should all be tested for compliance and safety. I rarely download unauthorised apps unless I've put some research into them first.

You made a HUGE mistake getting an android phone then.

I don't really get what you mean by "unauthorised apps" as 99% of the market is what you could call "unauthorised apps" with "authorised" ones being the ones installed on a vanilla android install or made by google. Anything else, including the sense UI HTC phones come with, the facebook, twitter, and just about every other app is "unauthorised" because there is no authorisation process.

Android is extremely safe in that an app has to ask permission to be able to do anything. If you install an app that's asking for access to your contacts your messages and the internet, when it really has no need for any of them, then don't install it. Apps on the market are also scanned for malicious code so you'd find it extremely rare to find any spyware on android.

Essentially, you should have got an iphone if you want "authorised" apps because there is not and never will be a review process for apps on android, it goes completely against the openness of the platform.

So Apple have authorised apps that have fleeced people's details off their phone? Yeah, should have gone with them so. I think it's all about common sense at the end of the day. You can be 99.9% sure that popular apps (which I only download) are 'spyware' or 'virus' free. I'm not saying they have malicious code on them but if they've managed it on Apple then they can surely manage to 'infect' on open source platform like Android.

I made the right choice in Android, believe me.

Do people really worry about these things? The chances that I download an app that can fleece details from my phone is quite slim, if I worry about that I may as well worry that I'm going to be hit by a car when I go outside.

Secondly there is next to nothing of sensitive nature they can get from my phone. They can't get creditcard or bank details as I never use my phone for purchasing online. I don't worry about these things, I rarely install apps anyway. I use my phone for the internet mainly.

I registered with their website and went back a couple of weeks later and then could get it from the site. But I have to admit this version of Swype isn't as good as the last one which expired on me.

When will they release a full version, I'm getting irritated with the number of errors that register on this beta test. The level of sorcery is well down on the last one.

It's really annoying me because the version that expired last month was truly magical in it's prediction, I could swype so fast. Now I'm having to pick words for almost half my message and if / of is always doing my head in. Old version was perfect as you just start at p and swype to f now thats giving me ps most of the time. Is there a way to delete ps from the dictionary?

I'm thinking of going into the settings and messing around with stuff in there. Has anyone tried that?

The version pre installed on my galaxy is incredible and I can see what everyone was talking about now.perhaps swype have done a deal with samsung to downgrade the old version?

Doubt it. I think most of the issues come with the newest versions having bigger and bigger dictionaries, and words being improperly weighted so you get obscure words instead of the ones you wanted.

There's another keyboard out now that predicts the next word you're going to type. Looks interesting, what I want is for someone to combine the two. Swype selecting words based on context prediction would be the awesome of awesomeness.

So good you've said it twice :)

I've just upgrade my firmware to JG5 - it's an unofficial Samsung build. The initial one I had (JF3) had a bug with the IO so it would lag terribly. Now it's much better and flies like it should. As soon as Froyo is released for this (late August) it will be amazing.

I've put LauncherPro on it too, much nicer than the Samsung launcher.

Got myself a HTC Desire this week and have spent pretty much the entire last 2 days playing around with it, much to the detriment of the battery which I can see is going to need to be charged more often than my previous handsets!

Already put a shit load of apps on and pretty much sorted my home screens, but will be paying close attention to this thread from now on.

Â