Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I got my Desire today.... and wow! What a handset! Had a Hero which i've just sold.. The Desire is so much better. Really neat piece of kit. Loving it!

Bring on 2.2. Athough, it's pretty perfect as it is. So fast.

And yeah, Apple sucks :lol:

Enjoy mate, it has far exceeded my expectations. It is an awesome phone.

I got an email from swype to download the latest beta version. This version works for the higher resolution screen on my x10 and the difference is remarkable. I thought it impossible to improve on swype but it has. I love this product and am happy to give these guys my hard earned cash one they release a full version.

Just got my Desire yesterday, great phone, except i feel like a chimp playing with a rubics cube ATM.

One major bugbear is the battery life, it verges on the ridiculous, from a full charge it was dead in 10 hours. Obviously it is getting a hell of a work out but 10 hours?

I have a question to the more enlightened, do i need to download an antivirus, if so which one?

Download advanced task killer. That will help you kill tasks that are running in the background and help battery life.

Also get locale. See above. It will help you conserve battery life too by turning off things and lowering brightness as the battery dies.

Also set default screen brightness to about 70% and turn automatic adjust off. Put it on manual.

I noticed on my first 2 days of use the battery was draining very fast, annoyingly fast. I was however just getting used to it and was surfing the internet via wi-fi for most of the day. I've calmed down a bit now with it. I'm using Advanced Task Killer so everytime I go to put the phone away I just hit it on the home screen and it normally comes up with 2 to 4 apps running, this would have eaten away at my battery life had I not killed them so that helps a lot. I still have my screen brightness on Auto although I should change it. My background image is a jpeg in black and a little white. Again this helps with battery performance. I'm starting to get nearly 3 days out of my phone now which is fantastic I think for a (very) smartphone!

I never even thought about an anti virus for my phone, do we need to worry about virus's on these?

I'm using Advanced Task Killer so everytime I go to put the phone away I just hit it on the home screen and it normally comes up with 2 to 4 apps running, this would have eaten away at my battery life had I not killed them so that helps a lot.

No they wouldn't, android doesn't work like that. There is no need for a task killer with android.

Read this.

If anything by killing tasks you are forcing your phone to use MORE battery, because it will just be respawned if it had any active handlers.

I still like killing all running apps with my task killer widget. Screen brightness is the key to battery life imo. I am usually 60% and Locale reduced the bightness as my battery hits 50% 30% 15% and 5%.

I still like killing all running apps with my task killer widget. Screen brightness is the key to battery life imo. I am usually 60% and Locale reduced the bightness as my battery hits 50% 30% 15% and 5%.

Absolutely this. I think you just need a power widget on your home screen (or something like Locale) and turn off stuff you're not using. Smartphones now have an amazing amount of stuff inside, but they're still confined by the laws of physics. If you want longer life you will need to use less power or have a bigger battery. To use less power you don't have the GPS, Wi-Fi, bright screen, Bluetooth etc. running any more than they have to.

I've heard many Android devs say task killers do nothing. I think they're a bit of a placebo really.

I turn off everything when I'm not using it. Mobile data, wifi, gps and bluetooth toggles are all on my homescreen, and my screen is rarely higher than 60% brightness. One of the biggest killers of battery is the phone searching for a signal, if you're in an area where the phone is constantly switching from HSDPA to 3g because of weak signal then you'll be eating a ton of battery going from one to the other, so it's far better to kill the data when you're not using it so you don't have that problem.

Task killers really do do nothing unless you're running a badly coded app that's eating through cpu whilst doing nothing. In which case the answer isn't a task killer, it's to uninstall the crap. People seem to be under the mistaken impression that things using memory is bad. It's not, memory is there to be used, and killing a task to purge it from memory does nothing other than causing it to be reloaded into memory next time you run it.

Android's multitasking is EXTREMELY good, the only times you'll need to kill an app are when it runs away due to crap code, and in that case you can kill it in the default settings anyway.

Guy at work bought a Galaxy S and brought it in today. OMG the screen is gorgeous. It's really responsive too. Only problem is it looks like an iPhone and the menus are made to look more Apple-ish. They're rooted already though so the first thing I'll do is load a custom ROM, hopefully Cyanogen will test against it.

90m triangles / second on the PowerVR graphics chip compared to 60m triangles / second on a Nintendo Wii...

90m triangles / second on the PowerVR graphics chip compared to 60m triangles / second on a Nintendo Wii...

TBF, the Wii is basically a souped up Gamecube and the Gamecube was hardly cutting edge when it was released in 2001. The Wii runs mainly on decade old hardware.

TBF, the Wii is basically a souped up Gamecube and the Gamecube was hardly cutting edge when it was released in 2001. The Wii runs mainly on decade old hardware.

Yes I know, but the Wii can still do stunning graphics in games like SMG2, and for a mobile device to be able to beat its raw 3d performance is incredible. The iPhone4 / iPad both do 22m triangles / sec.

Â