Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Not sure if this is the right place but i have just got the HTC Desire today and im unable to download any apps it is constantly saying starting download, and well nothing else been saying it for 6 hours!, having had a iphone with no issues any advise on what i can do would be appreciated ive tried forums etc and either dont understand the process or it hasnt worked. Again any help/advise is appreciated

Have you recently changed from googlemail to gmail or vice versa? If you have the phone set to one and then change your address to the other it does this.

http://www.google.fm/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=2a4a5f5cb12ea3b2&hl=en

Not sure if this is the right place but i have just got the HTC Desire today and im unable to download any apps it is constantly saying starting download, and well nothing else been saying it for 6 hours!, having had a iphone with no issues any advise on what i can do would be appreciated ive tried forums etc and either dont understand the process or it hasnt worked. Again any help/advise is appreciated

Have you recently changed from googlemail to gmail or vice versa? If you have the phone set to one and then change your address to the other it does this.

http://www.google.fm/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=2a4a5f5cb12ea3b2&hl=en

thanks for that, i managed in the end i didnt have a google account in the first place and the default setting on the phone was googlemail so i recreated a gmail one from my desktop and all is good now many thanks :D

cheers to whoever pointed me in the direction of that swype barcode, just installed it, its amazing stuff, cant believe i waited this long to install it really?

Btw, completely irrelevant non important question but which do people prefer? the default blue skin or the htc grey/green one? i went for the htc one as my mild ocd wouldnt let me have a non colour co-ordinated messaging system :)

I'm due an upgrage on my mobile...as a loyal tmobile customer they have offered me the iphone 3gs or the new 4g iphone. ideally i would love a new iphone but the tariff is too expensive. they offered me the HTC desire and the chap who i spke to said its out selling the 3GS.

i dont know much about this phone and was just wondering if anyone on VT has got one and if so is it worth getting?

I have been reading about the Desire it looks sick. Can't find the very detailed review I read about it online, but the summary was it's the best rival to the iphone out of all the others.

It's google android as well and not windows mobile which means you can still use android apps which is pretty awesome. Have a dig around online for some reviews, there are plenty out there. Also look at the various YouTube videos and make an opinion.

I am getting it when I can upgrade in October, unless a better HTC comes out.

Got the HD at the moment and that is awesome still.

cheers man... they also offered me this new HTC wildfire one? i did read some reviews but it was mainly business men so i assumed its more like a blackberry

ive heard the 4gs has a few problems

i might ebay the phone when it comes out and then maybe buy an iphone with the funds..any idea how much the retail value is on the desire?

I dunno mate, I used to be lauding over the iphone as my next mobile, but the more i read about it, the shitter they sound.

my sister asked about the difference between the 3gs and 4gs.

the guys response was 'have you ever heard of multi tasking'?

'you mean like, the multi tasking my windows phone from 2006 did?' jokers.

they tried to make out they invented copy and paste with the last effort. Iphone as a design is amazing, but as an overall phone? I don't see it being that great.

considering my HD has a better more vibrant screen and I can get free software to rip and shrink movies to fit onto a 16gb memory stick and not have to worry about it messing up the phone.

also you cannot get any benefits with an iphone contract. I get an orange £45 contract for £30. If I get an iphone I have to pay £45 per month regardless. Also the insurance isn't £5pm it's £10pm.

sod that, way too much money for something which now, isn't that great. the desire is a much better piece of kit overall I think. Having used an iphone and various HTC phones in the past few years, HTC will be kicking apples ass soon.

The Desire is an awesome phone, but if you've had an iPhone before go buy the Samsung Galaxy S, it's an android phone and it looks similar to the iPhone but it has a 4inch screen instead of a 3.5inch and of course it runs android. Which will have flash support which is a real boon.

Basically if you have the choice I'd side with Android over iPhone. It is so good it's worth a try, I have yet to meet a person who has regretted the switch from Apple to Google.

So Galaxy S if you have the choice, but Desire is an awesome phone so take that if it's on offer. I'd skip the HTC Evo, battery life problems. I've an Xperia X10 which is awesome hardware but only runs 1.6 Android at the moment so can't recommend that as it could be an issue with some.

HTC Wildfire is basically the desires little brother, it has a smaller, lower res screen and is a bit less powerful, but it does look just that bit nicer than its big brother as it has a silver strip running round the back.

Android growing massively"]Android's share of the US smartphone market surged 4 per cent between February and May, according to research outfit comScore, putting Google on the verge of overtaking Microsoft for the number three spot behind RIM BlackBerry and Apple.

comScore's latest numbers give Android 13 per cent of the smartphone market, just behind Microsoft's 13.2. Whereas Google's share leapt 4 per cent between February and May, Microsoft fell 1.9 per cent.

Meanwhile, RIM and Apple also saw their shares shrink as well. According to comScore, RIM's share fell 0.4 per cent, while Apple's dropped one per cent. Of course, these figures don't include the launch of the iPhone 4, which didn't happen until June.

comScore says that 49.1 million Americans owned smartphones during the three months ending in May. That's up 8.1 percent from the three months ending in February. It stills lists RIM as the market leader at 41.7 per cent, with Apple well behind at 24.4 per cent. Palm completes the top five with 4.8 percent.

Though all the big players are losing share to Android, comScore says, they continue to gain subscribers as the overall market continues to grow.

In December, Android's market share sat at a mere 5 per cent. At this rate, Android will shame Steve Jobs and Apple in much the same way the Cupertino cult was shamed by Microsoft Windows two decades ago.

What's more, Android phones work just fine when held with your left hand. ®

HTC are making BILLIONS it's been reported. I have my desire just over a month now, it's just effin brilliant. I got it for £20 a month through Vodafone's twitter account, free handset too. Great deal, couldn't pass it up. I'm not going to slate the iPhone because it is a great phone, of course it is but I'm so glad I went the Android route. Everyone who has had a play around with my Desire has been stunned. The camera on it is amazing, it is so sharp. The screen is what I can only describe as 'vibrant' and that's not a word I'd use everyday. It fires through the menu's so rapidly, there's no sluggishness. Throw in some brilliant apps like barcode scanner, navigator, meebo, metal detector :), Layar, Maps, google street view, IMDb, Flickster Movies (Amazing), mPlayer (iPlayer), Spotify, Shazaam, Texas Hold Em, Wavesecure, YouTube, ChompSMS (SMS but with the iPhone interface), Google Goggles and Google SkyMap amongst many others and you are in for an experience and a half. It's like a mobile computer, the Wifi feature is brilliant, I know it's on every phone these days but it's a great feature because it doesn't benefit the network at all, it just helps the user use the internet more freely instead of having to rely on 3G and using up their monthly allowance, lets face it, we're never far from a free WiFi connection these days. I used 10Meg of my monthly allowance last month, 10 measly meg.

You buy the Desire and you will never regret it.

Google have just revealed App Inventor which will let anyone develop an app for android. I'm in two minds if this is a good idea or not, it'll create a glut of apps from people with no skills and bad ideas, but surely amongst all that there should be a few gems? The platform is going to live or die by it's apps, and if the market is flooded with substandard apps created with a tool like this, surely that's going to put people off?

I guess that it's just going to further the argument that the market needs filtering, it needs the ability to make an app as spam, and it needs a huge clear up because there's already too many soundboard and ringtone apps.

Google have just revealed App Inventor which will let anyone develop an app for android. I'm in two minds if this is a good idea or not, it'll create a glut of apps from people with no skills and bad ideas, but surely amongst all that there should be a few gems? The platform is going to live or die by it's apps, and if the market is flooded with substandard apps created with a tool like this, surely that's going to put people off?

I guess that it's just going to further the argument that the market needs filtering, it needs the ability to make an app as spam, and it needs a huge clear up because there's already too many soundboard and ringtone apps.

If people are allowed to make their own apps then it should be tightly controlled. I read during the week that certain iPhone apps are actually spyware or some sort of sh*t like that. Peoples details been taken off their phone, i don't know how they're doing it but surely that should be a simple enough warning for Google. If people want to do their own apps then they should all be tested for compliance and safety. I rarely download unauthorised apps unless I've put some research into them first.

Â