Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The Android version is way behind at the moment and I dont just mean the amount of Apps but how the whole thing is intergrated.

When the Android Market improves to that level I think Apple will have a hell of a fight on its hands

How exactly is the iphone app store better though? What can you do with it that you can't do with the Android market?

How come HTC gets all the stick from Apple Fanboys when the new iPhone has only just added new features, features that the Desire already had?

wiki"]

Reality distortion field (RDF) is a term coined by Bud Tribble at Apple Inc. in 1981, to describe company co-founder Steve Jobs' charisma and its effects on the developers working on the Mac project. Later the term has also been used to refer to perceptions of his keynote (or Stevenote) by observers and devoted users of Apple computers and products.

Bud Tribble claimed that the term came from Star Trek.

In essence, RDF is the idea that Steve Jobs is able to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of charm, charisma, bluster, exaggeration, marketing and persistence. RDF is said to distort an audience's sense of proportion or scale. Small advances are applauded as breakthroughs. Interesting developments become turning points, or huge leaps forward. Impossible-seeming schedules, requirements or specifications are acceded to. Snap judgments about technical merits of approaches are sometimes reversed without acknowledgment. Those who use the term RDF contend that it is not an example of outright deception but more a case of warping the powers of judgment. The term "audience" may refer to an individual whose attitudes Steve is intending to affect.

Often the term is used as a derogatory remark to criticize Apple's products and its more enthusiastic fans.

The term has extended in industry to other managers and leaders, who try to convince their employees to become passionately committed to projects, sometimes without regard to the overall product or to competitive forces in the marketplace. It also has been used with regard to hype for products that are not necessarily connected with any one person.

The Android version is way behind at the moment and I dont just mean the amount of Apps but how the whole thing is intergrated.

When the Android Market improves to that level I think Apple will have a hell of a fight on its hands

How exactly is the iphone app store better though? What can you do with it that you can't do with the Android market?

Well can I ask if you have used both?

My own opinion is that the App Store is streets ahead in terms of presentation and the mechanisim of downloading and paying for Apps.

The Iphone and Ipad are aimed at people who want something simple to use. I have had Windows Mobile Phones and they along with Android are great because you can change how it looks and how it works to suit you really. When the Android Market comes closer to the App Store I might well look again. In terms of Handsets the Desire and Evo are much better technology wise and much better from the point of value for money.

My own opinion is that the App Store is streets ahead in terms of presentation and the mechanisim of downloading and paying for Apps.

The Iphone and Ipad are aimed at people who want something simple to use. I have had Windows Mobile Phones and they along with Android are great because you can change how it looks and how it works to suit you really. When the Android Market comes closer to the App Store I might well look again. In terms of Handsets the Desire and Evo are much better technology wise and much better from the point of value for money.

I haven't seen or used the iPhone app store so I'm intrigued as to how it works TBH. You haven't said how it's better there and I'm interested to know. The Android market mechanism of downloading and paying for apps seems very good to me and the presentation is great. I really like the way you can pay for apps and they stay on your downloads list linked to your account so if you get a new phone or wipe your own then you just reinstall.

Not sure how they can really make it easier and it looks nice so I'd be interested to see how it can be better.

No, which is why I'm so interested in how it's "streets ahead". I can't actually think of a way to improve the android market that isn't either there or coming in 2.2.

Paying for an app is simple, it's all google checkout, it just takes a couple of presses (and you can refund any purchase within 24 hours) the mechanism of downloading is as simple as can be, it just does it. In 2.2 you can auto update apps, and bulk update apps (the only 2 features I've ever thought "I wish I could do that").

So again, HOW is the apple app store better? Not just some wishy washy "it is" answer, I want to know how it's better, what makes the apple app store better than the market? What can you do with it that you can't with the market?

It's no good saying "in my opinion it's better" if you can't then justify that opinion.

I wasnt trying to enter into an argument I was just giving my opinion.

I have already said that in terms of presentation the App Store "in my opinion wins". If we are going to judge a store by its content then again App Store wins. The fact you can get a refund from Android Market means that one over on the app store.

I have used both Android Market and the App Store so have some knowledge of both and from my experiences with both "at this point in time" the App Store comes out in front. What I have no doubt of is that Google will continue to improve the experience quicker than Apple will so will not be suprised if it catches up and indeed overtakes the App Store.

You've still not answered the "why" question though mykeyb. Saying "it's just better" smacks of cognitive dissonance. It's the same as saying "player x was crap because that's my opinion".

No-one is having a go here, we just want to understand what you think makes the Apple store better.

I have already said that in terms of presentation the App Store "in my opinion wins".

If we are going to judge a store by its content then again App Store wins.

The fact you can get a refund from Android Market means that one over on the app store.

Funny because I thought that 2 of the 3 points above explained "why".

Is anyone using Android prepared to suggest "why" marketplace is better than App Store.

Kinda off topic but I'll shove it in here anyway.

I've had my HTC Magic for about 6 months now and I'm a little disappointed that the paint has started to rub off the middle silver band. Its worst around the power/head phones jack and the volume rocker. Being a little bored I thought I'd call Vodafone and see what they could do. The lady said If I took it into a Vodafone store they repair / replace the bad bits but would have to leave it there for 5-7 days. I asked what I was going to do for a phone she added a £25 credit to my account to buy a short term cheap hand set which I thought was pretty good.

Finally I asked about upgrading, she said I couldn't upgrade until February BUT early July a new system will be launched online allowing people to upgrade earlier. Sounds mysterious and she didn't have an exact date but if you're with Vodafone, looking for a Desire or other upgrade like me then keep an eye on their website.

EDIT:- As there is a big "iPhone 4 coming soon" banner on the homepage I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that.... :-(

I have already said that in terms of presentation the App Store "in my opinion wins".

If we are going to judge a store by its content then again App Store wins.

The fact you can get a refund from Android Market means that one over on the app store.

Funny because I thought that 2 of the 3 points above explained "why".

Is anyone using Android prepared to suggest "why" marketplace is better than App Store.

Funny because I'm sure you said:

So before you weren't on about the amount of apps, now you are?

Your "streets ahead" essentially then, boils down to presentation? Which you factor as a bigger thing than the ability to refund ANY app you purchase within 24 hours?

I've seen the app store a fair few times, and in terms of presentation, it looks pretty much the same as the market place?

IMO the 24 hour refund period is a far bigger feature than any amount of presentation, and volume of apps is something that will come in time for android (and has nothing to do with the actual market app), whereas I doubt apple will ever allow refunds.

I'm seriously not seeing any ACTUAL reason why the app store is better than the marketplace, infact the only differences I can see (and I've even done some googling to see pictures of this amazing presentation of the app store, which isn't much different to the market place) are that 1: the app store has more apps, and 2: the market place allows refunds. One of them is going to solve itself, the other is a major flaw.

I'm not trying to be an android fanboi here, but I'm seriously unable to see how the app store is so great and the market place so bad?

So I was asked to explain what I thought made the App Store better than Android Market but then because I had made the statement you quoted above I then cannot state that as one of the reasons.

So from your post above the only thing Android Market has over the App Store is a 24 hr refund. Quality off apps, quantity of Apps, user reviews, thumbnails of how the thing looks. How many Apps have you downloaded that you have then thought nah I get a refund on that, a couple a few or lots.

So you prefer Android Market although you say you have seen ithe app store a fair few times, have you used it or is your opinion based on googled pictures.

Just out of interest I googled Android market v App Store and read a fair few reviews which came up and I have yet to read one that puts Market above the App Store.

Im not sure that I have written anywhere in this topic that the app store is so great and the market place is so bad, my original observation just icase it has got lost was that the Desire and the forthcoming Evo are technically better phones than the Iphone and the only reason the Iphone is so popular is because of the app store - now thats my opinion based on having and using both an Iphone 3G and an Android G1.

did anyone order their desire through mobiles.co.uk? im having problems actually getting my order sent to me correctly, they cocked it up and ive had to send it back and make another order.

So I was asked to explain what I thought made the App Store better than Android Market but then because I had made the statement you quoted above I then cannot state that as one of the reasons.
You stated it was streets ahead, and not just because of the amount of apps. You then can't use the amount of apps as the defining reason it's better without backtracking on the earlier statement of them not being the key factor.

So from your post above the only thing Android Market has over the App Store is a 24 hr refund. Quality off apps, quantity of Apps, user reviews, thumbnails of how the thing looks. How many Apps have you downloaded that you have then thought nah I get a refund on that, a couple a few or lots.

So you prefer Android Market although you say you have seen ithe app store a fair few times, have you used it or is your opinion based on googled pictures.

Yes because everything else is pretty equal. Both have user reviews, thumbnails, ratings, in pretty much the same format, so you can't really say one has that over the other when they both have them?

I've seen it on the phone in the flesh when friends have been using it, where it's looked pretty much the same as the market place, and googled pictures confirmed it's essentially exactly the same.

Just out of interest I googled Android market v App Store and read a fair few reviews which came up and I have yet to read one that puts Market above the App Store.

Again, they'll all be based on quantity of apps (something you said wasn't a defining factor), something no one is arguing seeing as the app store has a huge head start and android is only just gaining significant market share (not to mention apps not being storable on SD being a rather limiting factor in development until 2.2).

Im not sure that I have written anywhere in this topic that the app store is so great and the market place is so bad, my original observation just icase it has got lost was that the Desire and the forthcoming Evo are technically better phones than the Iphone and the only reason the Iphone is so popular is because of the app store - now thats my opinion based on having and using both an Iphone 3G and an Android G1.

You said it was streets ahead, and not just in terms of apps available. Streets ahead is a pretty major gap in quality. Mine and other peoples posts were just questioning what exactly makes it streets ahead, and it turns out, as expected, to just be the amount of apps (or at least that's all you seem to be able to say it is).

The integration and presentation of both the app store and android market are for all intents and purposes identical from what I can see, yet that was what you claimed was better in the app store. Feel free to correct me if that's incorrect, but I'm really not seeing any differences between the two.

Â