Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

How come HTC gets all the stick from Apple Fanboys when the new iPhone has only just added new features, features that the Desire already had?

There seems to be a kind of mass-brainwashing going on with iPhone owners. They're suddenly unable to engage in rational conversation or debate. It reminds me of the old film, 'The Stuff' where everyone was being taken over by this Yoghurt they were eating; still the same people underneath but they had this eerie soul-less emptiness when protecting their own kind.

You know the stereotype of person who owned a BMW in the 80s and 90s? They are the people who own iPhones now. They pay for the badge and are blindly loyal to it.

Not always, I have had an android for work and an Iphone for personal, I am more than happy with my Iphone, it does what I want and I enjoy it, it is the best phone I have ever had. Simples.

Not always, I have had an android for work and an Iphone for personal, I am more than happy with my Iphone, it does what I want and I enjoy it, it is the best phone I have ever had. Simples.

I respect your opinion mate because you've got experience of the two phones. Most fanboys I speak to have never even used the HTC but dismiss it off hand straightaway. What is the main difference between the two for you and why would you choose the iPhone over the HTC? I just want to know from someone who's actually used both phones.

Cheers

I'd be interested to know which Android phone you use at work.

If someone asked you go to the start menu and click on run then you got nervous as you've no idea what this does then you are an iPhone owner.

Apple bring people into Apple world, for better or worse you get what they allow. I do not like that and have always stuck to Creative Zen's in the mp3 players and can't see myself ever leaving Android.

How long before Apple will make a phone with a big screen? With Android you have choice of phone to suit personal tast with Apple you get no choice.

I want as much access to mhy smartphone as I do with my own PC and you almost get that with Android, if you root it you get exactly that. I'd expect this kind of control will come eventually for Android phones, but never ever for Apple.

Really want to install 2,1 on my Magic but don't want to screw it up :-s

2.1 is on my Desire - it's brilliant. I hear though that a 2.2 Froyo update is imminent and its meant to be whack :)

Nick Gillespie points points to the latest ridiculous case of Apple censoring apps on its iPhone/iPad platform. Apple rejected a cartoon version of the classic novel Ulysses because it included some bare breasts. Nick writes:

I am genuinely surprised by how many tech-geek friends say they are finally getting fed up with various procedural and content-based hassles being imposed by Apple regarding the iPhone and iPad. They threaten regularly to move from Apple to Droid phones (none has so far said they're quitting the Mac platform), which may be mostly bluster, but is still interesting (and it's not like Google doesn't present its own issues regarding terrible, terrible freedom).

It's not just bluster. Last year, almost every computer scientist in my group at Princeton had an iPhone. This year, two of my colleagues have bought Android phones, and I'm leaning toward getting one myself when my iPhone contract runs out next month. Nick focuses on a content-related dispute, but what really sticks in the craw of geeks are the technical limitations Apple imposes on app developers.

Most major software platforms are open in the sense that anyone is free to develop applications for them without first getting permission from the platform owner. This includes Apple's own Mac OS X. Anyone can download the Mac developer tools, build a Mac application, and distribute it directly to users.

The iPhone, in contrast, is a closed platform. Apps may only be distributed to users via the iTunes Store, and Apple carefully examines each app before allowing it onto the store. This might not be so bad if Apple limited itself to checking for obvious problems such as crashes and security holes. But Apple's filtering has been much more aggressive, protectionist, and erratic than that.

For example, Apple has prohibited the use of cross-platform development toolkits. This means that app developers may not build an app that works on both the iPhone and other phones. This includes Adobe's popular Flash technology, which Apple has banished from the device. This means that developers must do twice as much work if they want to build applications for both the iPhone and other mobile platforms.

Apple has a seemingly never-ending and constantly-changing list of reasons to reject applications. Earlier this month, for example, Apple rejected a photo-frame app on the grounds that (as Steve Jobs put it) "we are not allowing apps that create their own desktops." Many of these rules aren't written down anywhere and they can change without notice.

As you can imagine, this sort of behavior doesn't endear Apple to prospective iPhone developers. Because the rules aren't written down anywhere outside of Cupertino, every iPhone developer is in danger of devoting thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work on an app before running afoul of some previously-unknown clause in Apple's rulebook. Even worse, Apple's stranglehold over the iPhone app market means that an app developer is forever at Apple's mercy. Apple can decide to boot your app from the app store at any time without explanation or opportunity for appeal. You'd be a fool to bet your company's future on that kind of arrangement.

So far, Apple's early lead in multi-touch technology has allowed it to dominate the market for mobile "apps." But if the company continues treating its developers badly, that can't last. The developers will flee to another platform, and a year later users will start to notice that the best apps are available for some other platform.

Is this the Apple bashing thread or the Android thread? Seems that we have people that accuse others of being fanboys, yet they are doing the exact same with regards to Android. Strange.....

Is this the Apple bashing thread or the Android thread? Seems that we have people that accuse others of being fanboys, yet they are doing the exact same with regards to Android. Strange.....
It's not apple bashing if you're pointing out the reasons why Android is better.

It's not like people here are making baseless statements like just going "the iphone sucks" people are backing it up by saying things like "the iphone sucks because it's a walled garden where Jobs can dictate what apps you can and can't use and god help you if you're an app developer who makes an app that the mighty apple thinks isn't right for their platform."

It's not fanboyism, if someone else came along and made a competing platform that had the benefits of android and was as good many people would jump ship, if android put in the sort of marketplace controls apple has people would jump ship. No one here is blind to Android's faults (and there are a fair few, especially in vanilla android without any of the custom UI's that the likes of HTC put on to address these)

The fact is that Apple are swimming against the tide, in a world where everyone wants more and more control over their devices apple is withholding that control and playing nanny, dictating what you can and can't do on their platform. The quicker the apple fanboys realise that the quicker apple can be punished for it and they'll realise that Jobs is limiting the platform and maybe it'll get changed. When they start losing market share because "there's an app for that" only goes as far as "there's an app for that if it agrees with Job's utopian view of the world" then we might get two OPEN (something Job's has been very vocal about slating adobe for not being whilst sitting within the ultimate walled garden) platforms that will actually drive even greater innovation.

You can call it apple bashing or fanboyism if you like, but you're just sticking blinkers on if you do and hiding from the reasons behind people having these views, which is quite simply apple have far too much control over the iphone os, and whilst that control goes unchallenged it's only going to get worse.

It's not fanboy android fans. I ain't like apple because they want to control what I have access too. I dint like that and so avoided iphones. Now android has come asking with a platform that allows me the freedom I want.

Ever since an ipod my friend owned had all his music erased because he joined it up to my computer to get my music turned me against apple. They wasn't you to buy music from Itunes so don't want puerile sharing music.

Apple is not for me. I need to be in control, I'm not with apple products.

I was very tempted by the Desire. I have previously had 3 different WM Phones but will be getting the new Iphone to replace my 3G.

The Iphone isnt the best handset by any stretch of the imagination, what it does have is the one killer USP and that is the App Store. The Android version is way behind at the moment and I dont just mean the amount of Apps but how the whole thing is intergrated.

When the Android Market improves to that level I think Apple will have a hell of a fight on its hands

mykeyb, there are apps that you can get for android that blow the apps apple have out of the water. This is because of the freedom android gives the developers. The apps can edit the os and can do almost anything the developer wants. Android is still growing and I think when version 3 comes out at the end of the year it'll be the dawning of the platform.

Also, the ability to get all paid apps for free off rapidshare etc.. Means android is far leads expensive than an iphone. I'd give the desire a go, you won't regret it. Break free of apple. You can always go b back

I'm man enough to admit that the iPhone is a cracking phone. I choose to use the Desire because, in my humble opinion, it's better as it's more suited to my needs. All I want to know is, why can't apple users simply admit that they've got serious competition? It does my head in.

Also, the ability to get all paid apps for free off rapidshare etc.. Means android is far leads expensive than an iphone. I'd give the desire a go, you won't regret it. Break free of apple. You can always go b back

You do know there is a site dedicated to apps and games for windows, android and the jailbroken iphones which list them by catergory and everything.

Far easier than rapidshare.

Â