Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The features the Samsung has over the Desire are:

* 1GHz ARM A8 Cortex CPU (same as the iPad)

* PowerVR SGX540 (3 times as fast the iPhone 4 / iPad / Desire, almost twice as fast as a Nintendo Wii)

* Faster memory

* Six-Axis movement sensor

* 720p HD video recording

* 8/16GB onboard SD + external SD

* 4 inch Super-AMOLED screen

* Lighter

* Longer battery life

* Front-facing camera

The A8 is pretty much the same as the snapdragon, there's nothing to seperate the two in pure cpu tasks, linpack results are pretty much the same for both cpus (on 2.1, when the desire has 2.2 it destroys it but it's not a fair comparison as the galaxy s doesn't have 2.2 yet).

720p is also on the desire with 2.2, so not really an issue.

But yes, the rest are good points for it, especially the graphics performance which really does kill all other phones.

One thing I really don't understand with the Samsung though, is why the hell is there no flash? It's trivial to add an LED flash to a phone, and they're pretty decent, so not having one is criminal. I take so many pictures in low light that would come out black without the flash but with they're mostly decent that not having a flash is a real deal breaker.

Plus it doubles as a handy torch!

it will play almost any format media file whereas most other devices will only play certain types of H.264 MP4.
But you can just install rockplayer on any other device and play any format anyway.

Didn't realise the Snapdragon was as good as the 1GHz Hummingbird, much better system than I thought after doing some reading.

The lack of a flash is a pain, yes.

That Rockplayer does look spookily like the default SGS Media Player!

Just done a Quadrant benchmark. Wow.

135882625-2c422584c7ed3d23b72872b81b5dc3b2.4c4dbf10-full.png

I just downloaded the Sony Ericsson update for my X10 and Swype stopped working, now I can't install .apk files with an app installer from my SD card like normal so can't reinstall Swype. I keep getting the error "ROM type not supported".

Edit: fixed it with Astro.

The party is almost over for the Android pirates as Google is about to implement a licencing system which will put an end to sharing download apps.

Great news. Can't stand people pirating things.

Popping in here to ask for some advice. My mate at work has just picked up an HTC Desire this evening. I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice on the best things for him to install on it? Cheers.

Locale is a must have for Android phones.

Also Rockplayer is very handy as it can play any type of video file under the sun.

Astro file manager is good to have too.

I'm not big into my games other than Snes emulator snesoid, you can then play all the classic nintendo games, which is all you need really.

Plenty of useful widgets to get too like brightness widget, auto rotate widget, 2G/3G widget. I like a kill all tasks widget too.

The party is almost over for the Android pirates as Google is about to implement a licencing system which will put an end to sharing download apps.
It depends on how devs set it up.

It allows the possibility to kill piracy, but only if the devs use some pretty draconian market settings (which good recommend doing against) that will render your app useless if there's no net connection available.

It also has the potential to limit the number of installs on a per-device basis, so you can specify an app can only be installed on one device, so if you get a new phone you'll need to rebuy it, you can't just transfer it over with your google account like you can now (but again, that's something google advise against).

It's something that developers will quickly learn what the market has an appetite for, too severe restrictions and you'll find apps rated down and abandoned in droves.

Oh, and it's also trivial to bypass, it just involves removing the market from your phone, so piracy will still be an option, just an inconvenient one.

The one thing that I am concerned at though is the ability to force an app update, you can mandate that anyone running the app HAS TO use the latest version, so you could make an awesome pay app, and then down the line throw ads into it too and anyone using it will HAVE to update to the ad version if they want to use it.

To be honest I'm baffled by this App culture, I have a few Apps that make my phone better to use but I'm a music listner, and movie / tv watcher, I do those things to pass the time when on a bus or train. So I never play games on my phone other than the odd bit of Superbomber man on snesoid when I'm in the toilet.

I want paid apps in Ireland soon, as I've had to get Locale off rapidshare I'd love to give them and Swype a few quid for their application when it is available so I can get updates.

Â