Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

And to people like trading standards, it's not an unreasonable request of HTC for you to not modify the original (non-modifiable) software.

Citation needed.

None available. It's from my own personal experience with other areas where they tend to side with the retailer or manufacturer even in the face of laws saying otherwise. It's like they consider the Sales of Goods act a bit archaic and will just mediate to what they think is reasonable and fair to both parties.

I didn't realise everything posted had to be a verifiable fact. I'll try and find some sources for why I think we'll win tomorrow.

Trading Standards can say what the hell they like. I don't think a judge in the smalls claim court will agree with the fact that a software change would cause a hardware failure. Especially when you roll back the software change and the fault is still apparent.

It's scare tactics by the handset manufacturers. You might have to fight for your legal rights, but you shouldn't abandon them because of the ridiculous and unenforcable terms and conditions of big business.

As I've said quite a few times in this thread, yes, ultimately, this is correct. But it has to go that far. I've known many people pay for repairs from Samsung because their repair centres refuse to repair it as it's been 'rooted' (their incorrect term for an unofficial ROM flash). I've desperately pleaded with these people to fight it but they just didn't want the trouble. I can't say with any certainty what trading standards or whatever they're called these days would say, but my experience with them when rejecting cars is they'll see it from the middle viewpoint rather than the law or the consumer's side. They are unenforceable from a legal perspective, but multinational companies such as htc and Samsung get away with enforcing them pretty well and when people accept it it becomes de facto.

Hi People.

I can shed as much or as little definitive knowledge as you want on the Trading Standards (still called that in most but not all local authorities - ((not a national organisation although they do have certain national responsibilities))perspective.

Probably the most relevant thing is that what they 'say' is utterley irrelevant.......in the cicumstances quoted the matter would be purely civil, and Trading Standards Officers dont deal with civil issues. The mechanism for a civil matter is always now to the National Call centre run by the CAB who will give you 'first line' advice - namely that the position will depend upon the facts and you are entitled to take a 'small claim' if you consider either the contract terms to be unfair or the circumstances to be covered by Sale of Goods legilsation. It doesn't matter what anyone says, or thinks, in a small claim, except the magistrate or recorder who hears that particular matter.

Also the decisions reached aren't binding, so one person may succeeed and another may not.

I'm not a tekkie and haven't read the entire thread but basically you could certainly argue that the software change did not cause the hardware fault - if that is the point at issue - and you could win - it would be a matter of evidence. If a contract term excluded liabilty for 'x' if you have done 'y' that would be subject to various tests under contract law - it may, or may not, be considered a fair term.

FYI Trading Standards only look at criminal matters......for example a misdescribed phone, or a misleading price etc.

And they definitely do NOT 'side' with anyone....certainly not the trader !!

Yeah I got the stock app I think do I have to update it ?

1480628_10152361254269738_39647888845228

In CM the cameras will be installed side by side. The CM team uses the Open-source camera app and that cant be upgraded with googles camera app. On a nexus it's a google modified camera so that will be upgraded.

Just search for the camera on the playstore and install it.

I'd struggle to do anything but get a Nexus 5 for £200 off eBay, then a £15 / month 3 one plan contract.

How much for a 32gb on Ebay?  I can see most are £299ish.  I assume I get the same rights as I would if I purchased it from Google directly?

I'd struggle to do anything but get a Nexus 5 for £200 off eBay, then a £15 / month 3 one plan contract.

How much for a 32gb on Ebay? I can see most are £299ish. I assume I get the same rights as I would if I purchased it from Google directly?

Depends on if you want new or nearly new.

Debatable on the warranty. It's supposed to be for the original purchaser only I think, whenever I've bought 2nd hand, I've always just planned to act dumb if I needed it repaired, but I've not needed it.

Â