Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Because software is more important than hardware.  It's probably been like that since the Nexus one. 

It's plain not. S4 has better battery, better screen and better camera and all of those matter more than software. Because Jellybean 4.1 is the end of the road in actual improvements that matter. 

But I suppose that's what GPe is for

If hardware was more important than software, Apple would be duking it out with Samsung and HTC for second place behind Nokia. Every generation of Lumia has more or less had the best hardware.

Lot of good that's doing Nokia, though.

You know Apple is a brand though, so the rest doesn't matter much. Women need iPhones.

If hardware was more important than software, Apple would be duking it out with Samsung and HTC for second place behind Nokia. Every generation of Lumia has more or less had the best hardware.

You know Apple is a brand though, so the rest doesn't matter much. Women need iPhones.

And that's they key... They don't need iPhones, but think they do, so act as if they do. That is one of the key parts of my dislike for Apple; they don't compete on experience, they play on people's fears. They compete by fuelling the perception that only Apple stuff is easy to use.

Has anyone flashed their S4 with the GPE rom, as I am seriously contemplating buy the S4 and going down that road as from the hardware point of view its hard to see how the next Nexus will come anywhere close to where the S4 is at the moment. There is no guarantee it will support LTE and the reviews I have rwad for the S4 GPE say how some and fast it is.

And that's they key... They don't need iPhones, but think they do, so act as if they do. That is one of the key parts of my dislike for Apple; they don't compete on experience, they play on people's fears. They compete by fuelling the perception that only Apple stuff is easy to use.

Overheard a conversation between 2 women in the pub the other day. One of them was on about getting a new phone saying 'I've been looking at the Samsung and HTC phones', the others response was 'you've got to get an iPhone, you can do everything on it, no other phone does everything!' I was close to interrupting them when I realised I'd be wasting my time.

Whoosh.

Tomorrow LG announce the G2 which is the successor to the model they based the Nexus 4 on and if the Nexus 5 is based on the G2 it will have some top notch hardware.

I got the launch day wrong for the LG G2 its wednesday not today.

The specs being mentioned are a 5.2-inch IPS display with 1080p resolution, 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 chipset with four Krait 400 cores, and 2GB of RAM. This could change though to 3GB RAM. Other features include a 2700mAh removable battery, 150Mbps LTE-Advanced 4G connectivity, razor thin bezel, 13MP rear camera and dual-speakers.

The interesting bit about the leaked spec is the mention of the Nexus 5 and its launch, rumours are that the Nexus 5 will come on October 5th – now whether this is when its announced or available to buy I dont know.

Probably an announcement,  the Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus were both announced in October ahead of November releases.  The Nexus S was announced in November ahead of a December release.  It seems a fairly regular pattern. 

What the **** have they done to the Navigation app on my S3?

It's completely changed, doesn't work & looks horrible. All it has is a white screen with to and from boxes to type in, and it doesn't load any route or map. Help?

Post a screenshot.   When Google updated maps ahead of 4.3 they got rid of the separate Navigation app and you now navigate from within Maps, which looks like this:

L2vQsVm.jpg

That doesn't sound like what you are describing though. Is it some kind of Samsung Nav app, but here is where I remind you that Touchwiz is the devil.  Can't you just use Google Maps or Waze, which is an excellent alternative. 

In Google Maps you just type the name of a place into the search box and press the button in the bottom right hand corner. 

XkkbhZb.png

It will usually be a picture of a car, but I decided to navigate to a place where you need to take a ferry, so I get a "route" button instead.  

Or just say "navigate to place X" in Google Now and it will open up the sat nav. 

sShtt2v.png

Edited by The_Rev

I've just made the jump from an iPhone 4S to an HTC One.

So far, so good. I didn't realise 4G was this ridiculously quick.

Any app recommendations?

Also, what is the point of Google Now? 

Also, what is the point of Google Now? 

You'll find out

Basically, as it is it'll look like it does nothing.

But it will learn from your actions and tell you useful information. 

So a few things mine does. 

Gives me traffic alerts for my commute to and from work.

Gives me directions for work and the gym on the days that I go.

Gives me Villa results and fixtures.

Tells me when I need to leave for meetings or appointments depending on traffic.

If I order food from Just Eat it'll give me directions to whichever place I've ordered it from in case I need to pick it up

Weather for where I am and where I'll be.

And various other things.

I've never told it anything. It just "learns" from my information. Google searches, emails, calendars etc. And it tracks you by GPS so if you go to the same place every day it assumes that's your workplace etc

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

It seems to do some fantastic things depending on the regularity of your schedule, but all it ever tells me is the Villa score, what the weather is like, and how to get home. I don't give a shit about two of those things, and one of them I will already know.

Edited by Davkaus

Â