The 'Who Supports Who' topic

It's probably just as well that as a Seahawks fan you've only started watching in the last 2 years :P I remember back in the day, as the 5th team in the AFC West, the Seahawks were just terrible. Every single year. So bad in fact that they moved to the NFC and out of what was then usually the strongest aggregate division in the NFL. This is the best Seahawks team I think I can remember.

They had a couple of decent years in the 80s with Dave Krieg, when they were better than the Chargers and Chiefs. But they were definitely always the fifth wheel in that division (the Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, and Chargers having been in the same division since the AFL West in the early 60s).

AFC West titles: 1988 (and '99)

AFC wild card: 1983, 1984, 1987

They did draft the next Joe Montana, though...

Yes, but that was after moving to the NFC... I only listed honors from their AFC days.

Related bit o' trivia: the Seahawks are the only team to have played in both the NFC and AFC Championship Games (though since the NFL considers the pre-Super Bowl NFL and AFL Championship Games to be NFC/AFC CGs for the purposes of the record books, the Colts and Browns have tenuous claims).

Patriots for me :)

A wise choice, my friend, welcome. We were shit since our inception in 1960 until 1994, with a couple of good seasons (1978, 1985)...we played in a toilet of a stadium, and during the worst years (1990-1992), we couldn't even fill the stadium, which meant you couldn't watch them on TV...In 1994, we got a new owner, a new coach and a new quarterback, and in 1996 made it to the Super Bowl for the second time, but lost again. But we kept getting better, got a better coach and a better quarterback, built a state of the art stadium, and started winning championships. We've essentially been the class of the AFC for the last 12 years.

2003: Patriots win Super Bowl; Steelers 6-10

2004: Patriots win Super Bowl; beat Steelers in Pittsburgh in the AFCCG

2005: Steelers win Super Bowl; Patriots go 10-6

2006: Patriots go 12-4, lose AFCCG; Steelers go 8-8

2007: Patriots win AFC, go 18-1, including postseason; Steelers lose to Jaguars at home in 1st round

2008: Steelers win Super Bowl; Patriots go 11-5, miss playoffs

2009: Patriots make playoffs; Steelers go 9-7

2010: Steelers win AFC; Patriots eliminated at home in 2nd round by Jets

2011: Patriots win AFC; Steelers eliminated in 1st round by Tebow

2012: Patriots probably having a better season

The most you can argue is that the Steelers have a better win percentage in Super Bowls over the period, but for the question of dominating a conference, it's really just making the Super Bowl, and if we limit it to the Roethlisberger era, it's even.

The Patriots have been a lot more consistent, also, and have generally won the head-to-head matchups (I think the Steelers have only beaten them twice in the past decade).

Well I'm happy to agree that the AFC has been dominated by both. But as a neutral in that particular discussion I'd give the honours to the Patriots. But they've both been mighty.

The AFC is, generally, boring as ****. It's like watching the Premier League where it's the same teams every year. With Manning at the Broncos and Luck with the Colts, that's set to continue for a bit.

NFC has probably had about 8 different Super Bowl representatives in the past 10 years I would think.

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread. I started following the Cincinnati Bengals back in the mid eighties when American Football appeared on Channel 4 for the somewhat ridiculous reason that their helmets were rather impressive.

Aside from the heady days of Boomer Esiason and Ickey Woods (anyone remember the Ickey Shuffle?) we have been shit since losing the Superbowl final in 1988.

They have made the play offs this year so maybe things are on the up.

Â