Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

I have got no view of anything which would hinder this deal

He's behind you Mr Neville! :lol:

what sort of money are they going to beable to put into the club, in means of transfer fund?

any ideas?

They won't find it hard to put in more than the departing chairman did villaboy. :winkold:

I'm glad that this is all out in the open now. Surely our soon to be departed chairman can't stop this now?

Out with the old & in with the new on 31/12/05! :clap::clap::clap::cheers:

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been waiting for someone to put a negative view on the news, and at long last someone has.

On the Villa list someone reckons Five Live have a different slight on the deal suggesting that the deal may go down because the Comers want to complete by the New Year and might be scuppered if its not.

That's better all we need now is a demotivating and negative comment from O'leary about the troubles in the dressing room and everyone will be happy :wink:

The Times take on the matter:

Ellis may be ready to release Villa reins

By Russell Kempson

MANY an Aston Villa supporter has welcomed in the new year with the same wish: that Doug Ellis, the club chairman and majority shareholder, should sell up and vacate the premises. While it has fallen on deaf ears many times in the past, it could be granted at last in 2006.

Discussions over a £64.4 million takeover are continuing between Ellis and the consortium of Brian and Luke Comer, the Irish property developers. It was reported yesterday that a deal, which would involve Ellis selling all or most of his stake of about 38 per cent, could be concluded by early next month.

“It will not be completed before Christmas but there is a possibility it could be completed in the new year,” Michael Neville, a Solihull-based businessman and lifelong Villa fan who is leading the Comer bid, said. “I am still very upbeat about the completion of the transaction.”

However, it is understood that Neville’s comments may be premature and that Ellis, a notoriously stubborn negotiator, will not relinquish control until he is satisfied with every minute detail and that the Comer brothers have the club’s best interests at heart. Not for nothing did Ellis, 82 next week, once utter the famous line that he would leave Villa Park “only in a wooden box”.

Villa refused to comment on the progress of the talks yesterday but it is significant that they did not feel it necessary to inform the Stock Exchange of any developments. At the start of November, the club did confirm to the Exchange that a “preliminary approach” had been made.

The Comer group has now entered the stage of “due diligence”, in which it is examining the Villa accounts. Brian Comer, 45, and Luke, 47, who are based in London and whose property company is worth £1 billion, have met Ellis.

“They discussed a whole range of things,” Neville said. “It has taken longer than we thought because of the complexities of due diligence but Mr Ellis has been most charming and most accommodating. Everything is cordial and on track and I have got no view of anything that would hinder this deal.”

Villa are viewed as perennial underachievers in the top flight and lie in fifteenth place in the Barclays Premiership, only four points above the relegation zone.

David O’Leary, the manager, is constantly bemoaning the lack of funds to strengthen his squad, a thorny problem that could be resolved in the event of a successful takeover.

Neville remained optimistic. “I think that Champions League football is a realistic possibility at Villa Park within three years,” he said. “I would love to see them back in Europe.

“It is very difficult to replicate the pockets of Roman Abramovich (Chelsea’s billionaire Russian owner) but Villa are a big club with a big stadium. I’m distraught that they are where they are. I just wish that they were at the top of the table.”

Asset-rich and relatively debt-free, Villa are seen as an attractive investment. Yet when Ellis has been courted, he has dug his heels in and refused to sell. He has rebuffed the bids of Ray Ranson, the former Manchester City, Birmingham City and Newcastle United player, whose group offered £47 million, and consortiums from Russia and Venezuela.

ALSO

Nuremberg, they have put your comment about party poppers on their site too!

in the is the deal dead thread someone (pablo picaso i think) said that whilst being lied to and let down by ellis over the years he actually belived that this time he would sell only to seemingly be let dowm again. this was exactly how i felt, so im really not going to take this latest news with any serious hope, like every man and his dog i would love this to be true but eh we are villians does anything run smoothly?

ps im drunk appologies for my grammer.

Hold on a mo'. Isn't the dealine one imposed by the club?

I heard that it was the club getting frustrated that the comers/neville are taking a long time, not the other way round.

I'm no Ellis fan, and want the bloke out, but I don't think, from the scant facts that we have that Ellis is the one delaying things directly.

It may be that the Comers/Neville are not quite as convinced as they might be that they should go ahead, at the price. It may be that Neville is keen, but the real money men are not quite as keen. It may be that Neville has said what he did as a "lubricant" to soothe the worries of Ellis.

I'm not convinced, myself, that Ellis isn't implicated in the reported "complications", but that's just me not trusting Ellis maybe. I do wonder whether the apparent desire to keep Ellis on contrasts with the financial considerations to make money back on the deal for the biggest investors.

I mean, to get more revenue in, to increase expenditure, to increase capacity, to increase the marketing and merchandising - these are all things Ellis is largely responsible for inadvertently hindering by his attitude and philosophy.

I bet Ellis is keen to sell, to get 20 million quid and stay where he is. I wouldn't bet that people considereing spending 60 million quid would be quite so sure that they were doing the right thing given the league position, refused planning permission, reduced TV revenues, and all the rest. Ellis may sweet talk Neville, but can he sweet talk cold hard cash?

I must admit I had a few very nice malt's this evening toasting the good news. OK it may not happen but then again it bloody well might. It's Xmas and this could be one of the best pressies I've had for a few years (lets hope its not a pair of Primark Socks)

Pat Murphy on R5L

x Neville has a good working relationship with Ellis

x Neville wants Ellis in.

x Murphy thinks its going to happen, but that the Comers need to get a move on, and that Ellis will want serious movement by next week.

x However, there is a caveat that the legal and financial advisers are going to be important, not Neville.

For those that dont know Athenry is in the same part of Ireland as our new owners *crosses everything possible* hail from, so here is a little ditty to make our Galway boys feel at home .

Low lie the fields of Villa Park

Where once we watched the Villa slowly die

But the Comers they came in

Gave us dreams and songs to sing

Now it's not so lonely round the fields of Villa Park

Feel free to edit/improve

Merry Christmas, I hope this present comes with batteries.

Pat Murphy on R5L

x Murphy thinks its going to happen, but that the Comers need to get a move on, and that Ellis will want serious movement by next week.

x However, there is a caveat that the legal and financial advisers are going to be important, not Neville.

From the very first of this Ellis said that Pat Murphy would have the exclusive on this whole saga. IMHO if it comes from Murphy that is as good as a direct quote from Smellpiss that we are going to get at the moment.

From what I have read (and that's quite alot) it seems that it IS going to happen but........... the first time this story surfaced it seemed then it was going to happen :roll: I cant get excited over this(even though I desperately want to) because I cant trust Doug. The only scenario I can see is when the 31st comes there will be no more news and for a couple of weeks after there will still be no more news. I still think this has come out quite convieniently in time for the January transfer window (makes you wonder) and the last time this news surfaced was just before the AGM. :?

Daily Mail today (Neil Moxley) has the Headline "Villa Cast Doubt Over Takeover Bid" and says it looks no nearer completion and that Neville's comments were "greeted quizically" inside Villa Park with officials suggseting that if anything the deal is as far away as ever. A club spokesman apparently said "as far as we are concerned, nothing has changed". It also intimates that the group have still to prove to Ellis that they have the funds.

Pat Murphy on R5L

From the very first of this Ellis said that Pat Murphy would have the exclusive on this whole saga. IMHO if it comes from Murphy that is as good as a direct quote from Smellpiss that we are going to get at the moment.

Murphy's tone this morning was that he had been told it.. He didnt say so, but neither did he give the impression he was plucking all of this out of thin air