Hendrie Watch

PauloBarnesi

Others will disagree but always liked Hendrie. Very strange he was a one club man for so long but he has had 5 in 3 years with a lot of loans in there

Now I know why you also said Kevin Kilbane was a good player.

I have never said Kevin Kilbane was a good player. I have said loyal, honest and does a job

• 3 weeks later...

Hendrie had the ability to be much better than he was, but he didnt make the most out of himself as a footballer. Made himslef a nice living though eh :)

His Dad cleans our wheely bin btw, with a lad that looks like Lees brother.

I would go as far and saying that Hendrie was more talented than Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry but he never applied himself like them 2 did to become a top player. Its a pity

Speaking of old boys, another one was in the news this weekend, for helping relegate Grimsby - Kevin "Freak of Nature" Poole

PAUL Peschisolido hailed goalkeeper Kevin Poole as “a freak of nature” as Burton Albion brought their first season in the Football League to a winning end at the Pirelli Stadium.

Paul PeschisolidoA Shaun Harrad double and a stunning strike by Greg Pearson clinched a 3-0 victory as Grimsby Town plunged out of the League for the first time in almost a century.

But the biggest plaudits from Albion’s boss were reserved for the 46-year-old Poole after his heroics broke the Mariners’ hearts.

Peschisolido said: “I was absolutely delighted with the lads. You look at the game and you think we had nothing to play for, but that’s not the way my players are.

“They go into everything game wanting to win whether it be five-a-side or head tennis, and that was the case in this game.

“We kept going, we worked extremely hard, the front two were a constant menace and the midfield put in challenge after challenge and tracked back, and the back four blocked things.

“Then we had a 46-year-old goalkeeper who was just absolutely immense, and when you put it all together it added up to a great performance and a great way to finish off the season.

“I don’t know what Kevin’s secret is, but he’s just a freak of nature.

“Some of the saves he made were absolutely world class, and he also gives you stability with the amount of information he gives the back four.

“It’s the first clean sheet we’ve had for a long time and you can credit Kev for that. He just keeps getting better and better.” With a question mark hanging over the future of onloan injured regular keeper Artur Krysiak, the Brewers boss even hinted that Poole, who is 47 this summer, could be a contender for a regular place in the team next season.

Peschisolido said, perhaps not jokingly: “I tell you what, I don’t need a number one.

“Kev is absolutely brilliant, a great lad to have around, and I was pleased for him because he wanted a clean sheet.

“He hasn’t had that many this season because he’s been in the reserves and has taken a few pummellings.

“But he threw everything into it today to make sure he didn’t let in a goal.” Peschisolido also saluted the goals that sparked violent and ugly scenes among more than 2,000 away fans in a crowd of more than 5,500 — Albion’s second highest of the season.

I would go as far and saying that Hendrie was more talented than Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry but he never applied himself like them 2 did to become a top player. Its a pity

I'd go as far as to say you're wrong.

I too always like Hendrie and he had a great amount of natural ability. He was my favourite player in the late 90's and I had him on the back of many of my shirts.

It is a pity he never had the attitude to go with his natural ability though. Too many stories about him regarding his off field antics and injuries played a little part on his downfall as well. I remember when Hendrie was breaking into our first team Lampard was doing the same at Westham, it's funny how both careers took such different roads though.

I think Hendrie gets unfair flack at times from the Villa faithful but everyone is entitled to their own opinion! He gave alot to the club during his career and played for the badge. Make no mistake he has plenty of talant, but he ended up pissing it up against the wall!

• 4 months later...

Nice to see Lee Hendrie playing for my local team Bradford City at the weekend, Came off the bench and inspired them to a 1-0 victory over Gillingham infront of 11,000 people. Bradford fans are loving him and hopefully he will help get them promoted and out of the bottom league. Quality guy and Villa through and through.

Â