What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

£30 million for James Milner is, quite frankly. hillarious.

And to think David Villa went for less than £5m more to the best club in the world.

Madness.

All things considered, I think it's a fair price.. Owen Coyle was saying that Cahill would cost £30m, Lescott went for what? £20m?, Arsenal were rumoured to want £80m for Fabregas, the fact that we payed 3 or 4m more than he was probably worth at the time..

Not to mention that he's Young Player of the Year, the new rule for homegrown players and it's the richest team in the Premiership after him.

I think £30m is a price that both parties would be happy with!

£30m

or

£20m + Ireland

or

£15m + Ireland + Onouha

I think any of those deals would be good for Villa

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aston Villa fight to keep James Milner with £30m price tag

• Villa say hour-long meeting with midfielder was positive

• Player left for World Cup left without agreeing a new deal

Stuart James

The Guardian, Wednesday 2 June 2010

Article history

James Milner has two years left on his contract at Aston Villa. Photograph: Andrew Couldridge/Action Images.

Aston Villa have reiterated their desire to hold on to James Milner and say they will not consider changing that stance unless Manchester City increase their bid for the England international to £30m.

That message was spelt out to the player and his agent during an hour-long discussion on Monday, when Martin O'Neill, the manager, and Randy Lerner, the chairman, told Milner how integral he is to the Villa team and how eager they are to keep him at the club in the long term.

Villa have described the talks as positive although Milner left without agreeing to sign a new contract – he has two years remaining on his £45,000-a-week deal – and his future remains unresolved as he boards the plane to South Africa today as part of Fabio Capello's 23-man England squad for the World Cup.

Whether City will return with an improved bid before the finals get under way is uncertain but Villa have made it abundantly clear that the £20m that was tabled a fortnight ago significantly undervalues a player who has gone on to become a permanent fixture in the England set-up since making his debut against Holland in August last year and who, at the age of 24, has time on his side to continue to improve.

Aston Villa's position promises to put City's desire to sign Milner to the test. Brian Marwood, City's football administrator, has followed Milner's career with interest ever since he broke through at Leeds United as a 16-year-old and he is determined to bring the PFA Young Player of the Year to Eastlands this summer. Marwood worked closely with Milner during his previous employment at Nike and believes he has all the characteristics to be a major success at City.

Yet there must come a point when even a club with City's extraordinary wealth question whether they are getting value for money. Milner, after all, cost Villa £12m when he arrived from Newcastle United less than two years ago and it is only during the last season, when O'Neill moved him into a central role, that he has really caught the eye. The most likely scenario seems to be that a game of brinkmanship will develop, with City expected to try to tempt Villa with players as well as cash in exchange for Milner.

Clicky

Thing with City is that one of the commentators on Radio 5 said that the owner was surprised there is so much fuss over wages and fees that they pay .. the amounts were small change as far as they were concerned and they could easily afford them

Yes I heard that in UAE any deal not in the billions dollar bracket is considered small fry and insignificant and a little embarassing to them? So a couple of hundred million spending spree is loose change? If they want to pay £30M for JM then take it, if we can get ireland and Onuah for £10M (as they both seem to want to leave) then that's good business for us?

Fabergas could be going for £50m so £30m for a young up and upcoming England star is more than fair ..

I thought it had been reported that Barca had only offered £30M so far, which makes £30M for Milner look even better. I know FCB will end up paying more but I don't think it will be £50M?

Ferdinand £30m

Rooney £28m

D.Bent £15m

Milner can play anywhere across the midfield, Full Back and second striker if needed. He can pass, tackle and score. He is deffo worth £30m.

Could you explain this for me please?

If Rooney is £28m, milner is worth £30.

IMO for £30m would be a great deal

Ferdinand £30m

Rooney £28m

D.Bent £15m

Milner can play anywhere across the midfield, Full Back and second striker if needed. He can pass, tackle and score. He is deffo worth £30m.

Could you explain this for me please?

If Rooney is £28m, milner is worth £30.

IMO for £30m would be a great deal

Rooney I would say is more like 70million now. 28million was a few years back.

No one is worth 30 million, but Milner is a player we could get 30million for

£30 million for James Milner is, quite frankly. hillarious.

And to think David Villa went for less than £5m more to the best club in the world.

Madness.

All things considered, I think it's a fair price.. Owen Coyle was saying that Cahill would cost £30m, Lescott went for what? £20m?, Arsenal were rumoured to want £80m for Fabregas, the fact that we payed 3 or 4m more than he was probably worth at the time..

Not to mention that he's Young Player of the Year, the new rule for homegrown players and it's the richest team in the Premiership after him.

I think £30m is a price that both parties would be happy with!

£30m

or

£20m + Ireland

or

£15m + Ireland + Onouha

I think any of those deals would be good for Villa

Yes but lets be honest Owen Coyle is havin a giggle and so was Moyes

I read all of the '30m is a fair price' and 'yeah 30m would be a good deal'. To be brutally honest it is Man City, if Milner agrees to go, then we should milk them for all the gold in China. Especially if he has a good World Cup, we're in the driving seat and the way i see it, 30m would be good, but its Man City, if they want him, which they do, let's push the boundaries. This will also make it all the more sweeter if he flops next year and is on the subs bench.

At £30m so is MON

At £30m so is MON

I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for £30m at all!

We're talking about Man City.. the richest team in the prem and one of the richest in the world. We're not going to say to them "Well.. Milner is worth around £17m.. so you can have him for that" are we?

The price should go up a couple of million because he's YPOTY, a couple of million because it's Man City, a couple of million because they're a direct rival of ours, a couple of million because he has 2 years on his contract.

It's a stupid price but that's modern football. We have to move with the times and, though it's stupid, we shouldn't accept a penny less than £30m.

Rob

I agree, when in a position where by you dont want/have to sell. then it will always take something silly for owner to sell.

My point was simply, that for milner £30m is silly.

At £30m so is MON

I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for £30m at all!

We're talking about Man City.. the richest team in the prem and one of the richest in the world. We're not going to say to them "Well.. Milner is worth around £17m.. so you can have him for that" are we?

The price should go up a couple of million because he's YPOTY, a couple of million because it's Man City, a couple of million because they're a direct rival of ours, a couple of million because he has 2 years on his contract.

It's a stupid price but that's modern football. We have to move with the times and, though it's stupid, we shouldn't accept a penny less than £30m.

Go up another couple of million because they took Barry for an absolute steal last year. Go up another couple of million because they wear stupid scarves in the middle of April. AND go up another FIVE million because he is ENGLISH.

...so at my bad count that comes to, 31m, plus Ireland :D

of course , If more than one club is interested then it could prompt City into doing something stupid to see the other clubs off and ensure they get their man .. which is what they did with Barry ..£12m cash up front ..nobody pays up front in football these days

Rob

I agree, when in a position where by you dont want/have to sell. then it will always take something silly for owner to sell.

My point was simply, that for milner £30m is silly.

:!:

In todays market, not wanting/needing to sell and with city being the interested party, its fair for the club to require such a figure.

Just as it was for everton to hold out for a huge sum for lescott.

Thats not to say however i think Milner is worth £30m