What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

All those saying that they do not want Villa to have the mega millions...

i'm not sure any sensible person who wants us to be successful would be saying that trickie.

I want Villa to spend within their financial capabilities

As do i. I haven't said otherwise.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man city will have a very good squad next season but we could use the money from the milner sale on 2 or 3 good players

Someone said that a minute ago :winkold:

Jon, I'd be happy for RL if he found another £500m under his bed. But it wouldn't make a difference to Villa (and I'm glad). He'd still invest in us in the steady way that he has been. Where's the joy in buying the league title?

Jon.. would you be happy if we spent £300m on players this summer then won the league. Then next summer we spent another £200m and win the CL ?

i'm not sure any sensible person who wants us to be successful would be saying that trickie.

Well, I mean within Villa's financial capabilities, you clearly mean Randy's financial capabilities, there's the difference.

Jon.. would you be happy if we spent £300m on players this summer then won the league. Then next summer we spent another £200m and win the CL ?

I'm not Jon, but I'll answer.

I would be happy, yes, IF Villa could generate a revenue close to these spendings ( + wages ) in the process.

Well done, you have more money than anyone else :hooray: :?

I don't believe you.

I do not believe for one second that whether we won the league through true grit and determination or through throwing £500M at it that the likes of you or anyone else on here wouldn't be wetting their pants through excitement and sheer unadulterated joy.

It really paints us in a bad light this many people spouting this kind of crap. You win the league because you have the best team that year, end of discussion.

I don't. I want them to spend within Randy's. There's a big difference (just ask Sepp). But I want them to spend within Randy's capabilities while putting in place a structure that increases Villa's own financial capabilities and puts us eventually (somewhere in the future) onto a much stronger and more powerful standing within the game. This is basically speculating to accumulate. At some point; especially while aggressively expanding; a club has to temporarily spend outside it's means in order to change what it's 'means' is. If all clubs were to spend within their means then I'm afraid we'd have introduced a cap - something the big clubs would absolutely love to see in place as it would make it massively more difficult for them to be caught by anyone - even more so than it already is.

Spending outside your means doesn't mean 'doing a Leeds' either. There are ways of achieving it more sensibly than that and I believe this is exactly what we are currently doing. Yes it assumes good faith on Randy's behalf not to bugger off and leave us high & dry, but I have not seen or heard anything that leads me to think otherwise. So on that basis I think we're doing fine.

Yes we are now behind Man Citeh, but we can hope that they will be a flash in the pan. A 'Leeds times ten' if whateverhisnameis buggers off and does something else. Even if Randy was to go, it would not be anything near the disaster that would happen up at Eastlands. That in itself is peace of mind. We're doing it the right way. The right way involves money. I'm sorry if that upsets some people but it just does. We are not being irresponsible with how we are doing things. Some people want it quicker; want it now. That is irresponsible even if it is understandable as a fan to want it. I'm just glad it's not those fans who are making those kind of decisions.

BOF say : Oops soz Trent :oops:

What I love about this is if it was Everton and Moyes selling a player for 16million profit it would be seen as genius. But its all doom and gloom if its MON and Villa?

Lets be honest, (and Im a massive fan of James Milner) the guy was not great in the 1st half of his 1st season, then he came good 2nd half and had a really good season last season of course.

But.....

Albeit in a poor team, he was out of his depth in the world cup. And while I was willing him on so much, I was expecting him to do something good more in hope than anything else.

£28milllion - Theyve clearly got more money than sense!!

Lets give credit to MON and how hes brought Jimmy (who also deserves some credit) on, and I see no reason why he cant do it with other players.

I wouldnt count out a huge season from Ash, Gabby and DJ - because I think them not going to the world cup is a blessing in disguise. That was an England team not to be in!!!!

If its true -

Good Luck to James Milner

SLOW CLAP TO YOU MY FRIEND!

What I love about this is if it was Everton and Moyes selling a player for 16million profit it would be seen as genius. But its all doom and gloom if its MON and Villa?

Lets be honest, (and Im a massive fan of James Milner) the guy was not great in the 1st half of his 1st season, then he came good 2nd half and had a really good season last season of course.

But.....

Albeit in a poor team, he was out of his depth in the world cup. And while I was willing him on so much, I was expecting him to do something good more in hope than anything else.

Lets give credit to MON and how hes brought Jimmy (who also deserves some credit) on, and I see no reason why he cant do it with other players.

I wouldnt count out a huge season from Ash, Gabby and DJ - because I think them not going to the world cup is a blessing in disguise. That was an England team not to be in!!!!

If its true -

Agree, but i cant bring myself to wish him nor City luck if it goes through.

Good Business by Oneill though, and in fairness, i think we'd make a similar profit if City came calling for (god forbid) Young.

MON has a proven track record of turning coal into diamonds. Look at what he did for the players at Leicester, Celtic and at Villa. He will be able to replace Milner. I will be disappointed in Jimmy if he goes because he just seemd to be the loyal type but hey ho, money talks!

MON has a proven track record of turning coal into diamonds. Look at what he did for the players at Leicester, Celtic and at Villa. He will be able to replace Milner. I will be disappointed in Jimmy if he goes because he just seemd to be the loyal type but hey ho, money talks!

Loyalty doesnt necessarily come into it. He only goes if we accept a fee. He can obviously play his card but i havent heard any transfer requests going in.

Loyalty doesnt necessarily come into it. He only goes if we accept a fee. He can obviously play his card but i havent heard any transfer requests going in.

Barry didn't put one either, doesn't really mean much.

The only point which concerns me about all this is the naivity of the club in letting him enter his final 24 months, it kind of puts the player in the driving seat as it did with Barry.

I dont know this for a fact, but im under the impression that Milner is earning less than Heskey, and substancially less than Young. He may be thinking that we're only offering him a contract because City have all of a sudden shown an interest. So we're left in the situation that we were with Barry, whereby we stand to lose a lot of money if we keep him and he doesnt sign a new deal. Had Milner been approached in January with a £70,000 per week 5 year deal I think he probably would have signed it. Thats not to say that he still wouldnt have wanted to go, but it would have put us in a stronger position to negotiate.

That said, £28m is still a tidy piece of business.

The only point which concerns me about all this is the naivity of the club in letting him enter his final 24 months, it kind of puts the player in the driving seat as it did with Barry.

I dont know this for a fact, but im under the impression that Milner is earning less than Heskey, and substancially less than Young. He may be thinking that we're only offering him a contract because City have all of a sudden shown an interest. So we're left in the situation that we were with Barry, whereby we stand to lose a lot of money if we keep him and he doesnt sign a new deal. Had Milner been approached in January with a £70,000 per week 5 year deal I think he probably would have signed it. Thats not to say that he still wouldnt have wanted to go, but it would have put us in a stronger position to negotiate.

That said, £28m is still a tidy piece of business.

It would make bugger all difference if he was into a 5 year deal, look at Fabragas at Arsenal and Ronaldo had 3/4 years on his deal at Man U.

Unfortunately players rule in this day and age, and if they want to leave, it's just a mater of getting as much money for them as you can.

Not doubting that, but Ronaldo and Fabregas did / will go for a lot more money than £28m. Partially becuase they're better players, but also because Oneill knows that if he doesnt sell now, then Milner will be worth half the amount of money in a years time. If he was tied into a contract, he could tell City to sod off, knowing full well that Milner is far too professional to sulk on the sidelines for a year.

I do agree though that player power usually wins out in the end.

but i havent heard any transfer requests going in.

That would be the final card for him to play cheltenham-villa as he would lose money if he did that and if money is the driving force behind the move James can afford to sit tight and wait for something to happen. I don't think that the same applies to us. We need to offer a new contract give him a week to decide whether to sign it and if he says he wants away move on to our own targets. We do not want this dragging into mid or late August.

But.....

If its true -

I'm almost certainly having a severe 'blonde' moment but who the feck is DJ? (as in "Ash, Gabby and DJ")