What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

I think that Ireland is every bit as good as Milner, and has the advantage of having that extra spark of creativity that Milner lacks.

The thought of a Petrov/ Ireland central pair scares the shit out of me... that is one half paced midfield right there!

I don't think Ireland is particularly slow. I bet he's a lot faster than Barry, anyway, and Barry did OK next to Petrov. We've got plenty of pace in the team anyway, we need someone who can pass the ball to create chances. Not every single player we buy has to run with the ball at every given opportunity. At home especially, teams have figured that tactic out.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Ireland is every bit as good as Milner, and has the advantage of having that extra spark of creativity that Milner lacks.

The thought of a Petrov/ Ireland central pair scares the shit out of me... that is one half paced midfield right there!

I don't think Ireland is particularly slow. I bet he's a lot faster than Barry, anyway, and Barry did OK next to Petrov. We've got plenty of pace in the team anyway, we need someone who can pass the ball to create chances. Not every single player we buy has to run with the ball at every given opportunity. At home especially, teams have figured that tactic out.

Barry and Petrov - the midfield duo that was at the heart of our great run at the end of 08/09? We only gained 6th spot because of the points we picked up through the 4-5-1.

Petrov + 1 is wrong IMO, unless you are prepared to sub Petrov after 45mins. Petrov + a low energy (it is not necessarily speed but energy as far as I am concerned) is a disaster.

Well surely then it doesn't matter who partners Petrov if he's the problem? He's partnered Barry (slow but a decent passer) and Milner (much quicker) and we've still only finished 6th.

Well surely then it doesn't matter who partners Petrov if he's the problem? He's partnered Barry (slow but a decent passer) and Milner (much quicker) and we've still only finished 6th.

Barry wasnt/isnt slow where did you get that from?

Watching him for 10 years. You're not arguing that Barry was by any stretch of the imagination quick are you? That was always the reason given for his lack of England call ups, his lack of pace.

You're rather dismissive of a sixth placed finish Risso. Don't you think that it's about right given the current strength of the premiership?

I think that part of the reason that we've finished as high as sixth for the last couple of seasons is because Petrov is a damn good player by the way.

Sorry but the record with Barry and Petrov next to each other and Petrov and Milner is alot different. Barry and Petrov central midfield together, we won about 7 games out of 25 or something those two centrally.

Ireland, Petrov isn't good because Ireland isn't exactly supremely hard working, cover alot of ground or defensively disciplined like Milner is when we don't have the ball. Plus being in a 4-4-2 can remove your creativity a tad because your not always in a free role, you need to defend and then attack, basically a box to box role. Ireland isn't a box to box player, more of a playmaker who should be given freedom.

Watching him for 10 years. You're not arguing that Barry was by any stretch of the imagination quick are you? That was always the reason given for his lack of England call ups, his lack of pace.

Not quick not slow, at the same age I'd have said him and Milner were about the same.

You're rather dismissive of a sixth placed finish Risso. Don't you think that it's about right given the current strength of the premiership?

I think that part of the reason that we've finished as high as sixth for the last couple of seasons is because Petrov is a damn good player by the way.

So do I. I was just responding to the poster who said that Ireland and Petrov couldn't play together becausde they're both slow. I think thye could.

So do I. I was just responding to the poster who said that Ireland and Petrov couldn't play together becausde they're both slow. I think thye could.

Apologies Risso, that will teach me to read previous posts. :oops: Petrov is a favourite of mine, and a good club captain imo.

If you want the opinion of an outsider (which very probably some of you don't), then I think that if you're offered the reported 28m you should take it gladly ... provided the deal is done early so that you have plenty of time to consider your options and spend the cash wisely:

1) If player wants to leave, it's usually better for all concerned if he's allowed to do so. Having said that, I've no idea if Milner want to leave for City and the probably higher wages involved.

2) Most importantly, Villa lack squad depth. Yes Milner is a fine player, but 28m would allow you to sign (for example only) Parker + Jenas + striker X ... possibly (depending on the identity of striker X) with a 4 or 5m thrown in on top by Lerner. Overall, you'd end up better off.

If you want the opinion of an outsider (which very probably some of you don't), then I think that of you're offered the reported 28m you should take it gladly ... provided the deal is done early so that you have plenty of time to consider your options and spend the cash wisely:

1) If player wants to leave, it's usually better for all concerned if he's allowed to do so. Having said that, I've no idea if Milner want to leave for City and the probably higher wages involved.

2) Most importantly, Villa lack squad depth. Yes Milner is a fine player, but 28m would allow you to sign (for example only) Parker + Jenas + striker X ... possibly (depending on the identity of striker X) with a 4 or 5m thrown in on top by Lerner. Overall, you'd end up better off.

Nearly all of that is correct and common sense apart from the example of Jenas. Spurs do not have enough money to pay us to take him.

You really think MON would solve our squad depth problem after/by selling Milner!

Common sense my ass, we should sell MON. Maybe then they would want to stay.

i have no idea why we wouldnt ask for ireland if true mm. he is exactly the kind of replacement we need

We don't like to do swap deals , Ireland will be treated seperately but be prepared for a long wait on him it won't be done just yet .

i have no idea why we wouldnt ask for ireland if true mm. he is exactly the kind of replacement we need

We don't like to do swap deals , Ireland will be treated seperately but be prepared for a long wait on him it won't be done just yet .

Have you heard we're interested in Ireland as a replacement for Milner IF he does go?

His head has been turned it's money simple as :!:

just out of interest how has his head been turned, i guess we havent excepted a bid or given him permission to talk to other teams, so are you saying the press speculation has turned his head or has he been tapped up.

And if so is MoN and Randy going to stand there and let it happen.

Now im not saying that tapping up doesnt go on, but its still not allowed in football and if teams are doing it and are caught then they need to be punished.

His head has been turned it's money simple as

if he goes to City then yeah he's a money grabbing clearing in the woods but assuming club X have made their interest official then there is also a hint of ambition and not just money ..

Have you heard we're interested in Ireland as a replacement for Milner IF he does go?

Local talk up here is that Ireland has a screw well and truly loose. Based on O'Neil's past signings that doesn't rule him out, but I would be wary of him as a signing as part of any Milner swap.

I reckon they give us Ireland on loan for the year and if he steps up to the plate an proves he's worth what City value

him at (which I think he will),then that fee comes off the Milner money. If not we get it all in cash.