468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Every player has their price,

Milner is a good player is he replaceable? for 30 million we could strengthen a number of positions however this damages the club in terms of our ambition letting one of our best players go to one of our closest rivals we may as well ring the dinner bell to other clubs to snap up yet more of our brightest talent.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every player has their price,

Milner is a good player is he replaceable? for 30 million we could strengthen a number of positions however this damages the club in terms of our ambition letting one of our best players go to one of our closest rivals we may as well ring the dinner bell to other clubs to snap up yet more of our brightest talent.

I think that's a fair point but a couple of things I'd say; If MON spends it wisely (it's a big IF I know), then it moves us forward too. Secondly, Villa and Man City are both heading in the right direction, it's just that they'll get there a lot quicker than us. Finally, I think it's massively important that MON signs replacements before he lets Milner go, that way, the other players attracting interest know we are trying to be ambitious and will want to stay.

Gone to ground? He's said we're not a selling club and that reads to me that Jimmy is not for sale

He didn't actually say that. He said we are not a FEEDER(sic) club. I think there is a distinction. I may be wrong but I don't think the club has said at any stage he is "not for sale". Arsenal have said that in relation to Fabregas but I don't think we have issued any such unequivocal statement.

Therefore I read it differently to you. I read it that the club is keeping its options open regarding a sale. If the price/deal is right I think they will sell.

daily express

JAMES MILNER has refused to commit himself to Aston Villa and could join Manchester City for £30million after the World Cup.

Milner held talks with Villa about a new £70,000-a-week deal but has not given them an answer. If he decides to go, Villa would hold out for £30m.

Returning from England’s training camp in Austria to meet Villa owner Randy Lerner, chief executive Paul Faulkner and manager Martin O’Neill, Milner, who was with his agent, was told Villa want to keep him and that he is an important part of the team.

Lerner also spelt out his ambitions for the club and that money would be available for O’Neill to strengthen the side for another tilt at Champions League football next season.

Villa asked for talks with Milner after rejecting a £20m bid from City and were braced for an increased offer, but City have waited for Milner to meet with the Villa hierarchy.

Milner has not committed himself and said he wanted to go to the World Cup before making his decision.

O’Neill hoped to have the matter sorted out before England fly to South Africa today and is now in a difficult position as he does not know whether to plan for Milner being part of his team or whether he has to find a replacement, as he did when Gareth Barry left for City.

Villa are prepared to play hardball with City. O’Neill held out until he got £12m for Barry from City and they will have to almost treble that for Milner. O’Neill would consider £30m a good price, but only if Milner wants to leave.

ah the negative spin on the meeting had to be reported - no one was expecting Milner to sign his contract before the World Cup...

No quotes, not even a made up 'close friend' to add fuel to the fire.

Did this 'meeting' actually happen? The club have never changed their statement that they intended to talk with Milner after the World Cup, IIRC.

I smell bullshit.

Did this 'meeting' actually happen? The club have never changed their statement that they intended to talk with Milner after the World Cup, IIRC.

I smell bullshit.

Mr Lerner was here for a couple of days this week, with the timing suggesting that he was here specifically for that meeting.

AMES MILNER has refused to commit himself to Aston Villa

I stopped reading there. Absolutely shocking journalism. I don't know how they get away with it. At least use correct words that don't 'spin' the story. They're just adding fuel to the fire. Cockroaches the lot of 'em.

""Returning from England’s training camp in Austria to meet Villa owner Randy Lerner, chief executive Paul Faulkner and manager Martin O’Neill, Milner, who was with his agent, was told Villa want to keep him and that he is an important part of the team. ""

Also it says "with his agent"? ^^

Didn't think he had one?! :?

I think O'Neill should forget about Milner now. He's gone to the WC and we wont do any deals until he's back.

I hope that O'Neill is now concentrating on looking for players to buy to show Milner that we have ambition to compete next year - I think this could be what Milner signing an extension will rely on.

The story doesnt even mention that the talks were deemd positive by all parties.

Im not an expert in football contracts but I assume that they cant be read properly, understood and all agreed for within an hour (which is how long the meeting is said to have last).

I think the meeting was put into place, not to get James to sign a contract, but just to assure him that he is wanted at villa before he goes away for a month.

James Milners focus will be on the world cup, but in his mind he will also have the knowledge that he is valued very highly by Aston Villa. Remember Tevez's transfer comments saying that he never felt wanted by Man Utd??

The story doesnt even mention that the talks were deemd positive by all parties.

Im not an expert in football contracts but I assume that they cant be read properly, understood and all agreed for within an hour (which is how long the meeting is said to have last).

I think the meeting was put into place, not to get James to sign a contract, but just to assure him that he is wanted at villa before he goes away for a month.

James Milners focus will be on the world cup, but in his mind he will also have the knowledge that he is valued very highly by Aston Villa. Remember Tevez's transfer comments saying that he never felt wanted by Man Utd??

Totally agree Woody these things take more than an hour to sort out. Its a positive thing that he was willing to come for a meeting and at least I'm sure everyone knows where they stand now.

Totally agree Woody these things take more than an hour to sort out. Its a positive thing that he was willing to come for a meeting and at least I'm sure everyone knows where they stand now.

Keep saying it Jimbo - your the only one round here who talks any bloody sense :D

I think O'Neill should forget about Milner now. He's gone to the WC and we wont do any deals until he's back.

I hope that O'Neill is now concentrating on looking for players to buy to show Milner that we have ambition to compete next year - I think this could be what Milner signing an extension will rely on.

O'Neill hasn't mentioned him, all he's done is place a price tag on him.

O'Neill hasn't mentioned him, all he's done is place a price tag on him.

I didn't say he had...

That would have read "O'Neill should stop mentioning him".

I was simply posting my opinion.. that Milner staying will rely on us bringing in some good signings to show our ambition.. and that O'Neill should get onto it straight away.

click the sun

MANCHESTER CITY are poised to renew their interest in James Milner as soon as his World Cup is over.

Eastlands boss Roberto Mancini wants the Aston Villa star, 24, alongside Barcelona's Yaya Toure in a new-look midfield next season.

City were interested to hear that Milner had talks with Villa boss Martin O'Neill earlier this week.

And the fact Villa have placed a £30million tag on his head is unlikely to deter City's moneybags owners.

Rivals Manchester United are also interested but City are confident they will be able to secure the services of the former Newcastle favourite.

City have also been keeping a close eye on talks between Toure - brother of their captain Kolo - and Barca.

Sources at the Premier League club have denied they have already struck a deal for the Ivory Coast ace, 27.

But Mancini has been keen on Yaya since he arrived at Eastlands in December and that has not changed.

Meanwhile, Villa are eyeing a move for Anderlecht midfielder Mbark Boussoufa IF they lose Milner.

But O'Neill's men would face stiff competition from Hamburg and Bayer Leverkusen for the £10m-rated Morocco international, 25, who has been player of the year in Belgium for the past two seasons.

£30m and Ireland - nothing less.

Think thats taking the piss a bit.

If they offered us Ireland, we'd only get another 10-15m cash.

I'd rather a straight cash deal, 25m, use the money to sign Jamie O'Hara at Tottenham and a few others. There was talking of Avram Grant taking O'Hara to West Ham for as little as something like 6m. Bargain if you ask me, really good player, and plenty to spend on other areas of the side that need attention, such as a forward.