• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll sell him. But I think it will MON's choice and personally I think it will be the rigth choice. You will great crazy money for him and replace him with a player that will do just as well, but only cost 40% of what you get for Milner. I don't want it to happen, but I think you'll buy Jenas. Most of you will go mad and say he's shit, but after 6 months, I think opinion will change. He'll score as many from CM as Milner, create as much, pass as much, tackle more and cover more ground. I'm sure you'll all shudder at thought of replacing Milner with Jenas, but in my opinion Jenas is the most under rated player around. He's always being called shit, yet so many top mangers seem to rate him and it's because of his all round contribution. For the money you get for Milner you can buy Jenas and Parker and still have money left over for an attacking fullback.

How good are Spurs that a player like can't get in the team? :shock:

''Fantastic club to be, couldn't imagine myself anywhere else etc.''

Exactly and if Milner had said that it would not have affected his bargaining position at all. Infact quite the opposite. He could say "look I have shown my commitment to the club here, now where is the committment back"

I think that's a very naive viewpoint Richard and is, in my opinion, totally at odds with your views in your later post about needing lots of money to be successful.

Football no longer has any room for sentiment and with Milner being one of,if not the most sought after commodity in the Premier League this summer, I expect his contract negotiations to be very very tough. He holds all the cards and I'm sure, if he didn't know it last week, he does now.

No player is bigger than the club is right. If he wants to sod off to City for the money and all that then **** let him.

Where did that come from? :lol: He hasn't said anything to suggest he's on his way. If anything he's been taking lessons from Martin on saying loads without saying anything.

I think that's a very naive viewpoint Richard and is, in my opinion, totally at odds with your views in your later post about needing lots of money to be successful.

I dont see the dichotomy to be honest.

On one hand I am saying you needs loads of money to be successful and then on the other saying Milner would demonstrate his committment and then say now show me the money

If we do let Milner go, and at the moment I think its a possibility, then what sort of message will that send to the other players.

Will they think that we are not serious about progressing any further and are happy to see our best players leave. Cant imagine it will do much for the morale of the rest of the squad

If we do let Milner go, and at the moment I think its a possibility, then what sort of message will that send to the other players.

Will they think that we are not serious about progressing any further and are happy to see our best players leave. Cant imagine it will do much for the morale of the rest of the squad

What do you suggest doing then if he wants to leave, and someone is prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money for him?

I dont see the dichotomy to be honest.

On one hand I am saying you needs loads of money to be successful and then on the other saying Milner would demonstrate his committment and then say now show me the money

What I'm saying is that football is not show-friends, its show-business. And in negotiations, if you want to win you don't surrender your power. Milner would surrender his power if he was equivocal about wanting to stay, especially with rumours of other, bigger, clubs circling.

No mention of any specifics indicates to me this was in the can prior to recent speculation / bids. Milnet couldn't win whatever he said, given the need for contract talks his answer merely showed an intelligence lacking in others.

IMO Milner will leave, and it will continue to happen (players leaving) until we have owners as rich as Man City's. I don't like it but its the harsh reality. Football has been ruined by money, so if you can't beat em, join em. As much as I love Randy, he doesn't have enough money for us to compete properly with the other top 6.

I think you'll sell him. But I think it will MON's choice and personally I think it will be the rigth choice. You will great crazy money for him and replace him with a player that will do just as well, but only cost 40% of what you get for Milner. I don't want it to happen, but I think you'll buy Jenas. Most of you will go mad and say he's shit, but after 6 months, I think opinion will change. He'll score as many from CM as Milner, create as much, pass as much, tackle more and cover more ground. I'm sure you'll all shudder at thought of replacing Milner with Jenas, but in my opinion Jenas is the most under rated player around. He's always being called shit, yet so many top mangers seem to rate him and it's because of his all round contribution. For the money you get for Milner you can buy Jenas and Parker and still have money left over for an attacking fullback.

Well I'll happily fall into the category of person who doesn't rate Jenas. Even with Stephen Ireland's myriad of problems and question marks over him I would still take him ahead of Jenas because he at least has that something about him where, if he fancies his surroundings, he can be a genuine match-winning quality player. Jenas is being kept out of Spurs by Huddlestone. Now don't get me wrong, I like Huddlestone and wouldn't mind having him here, but if Spurs really rated Jenas they'd have used him more than they did this season. Even before his injury in February he was being used sparingly by candleface.

I'm not going to argue the merits of Jenas (though i rate him highly), but just wouldn't be at all surprised if he does end up at Villa. And if he does, i think within 6 months the general concensus will be that you've got a bargain. I've even read on here people comparing him to Sidwell and Reo Coker, which shows to be the low expectation your fans will have of him. But, he's in a different class to them. I'd be gutted if he leaves Spurs, though I'm sure he will. I genuinley don't think there is much between him and Milner. Obviously no one is going to agree with me and I'm not going to argue with those people. But I really think Jenas will be the bargain buy of the summer and my gut feeling it will be for you.

What do you suggest doing then if he wants to leave, and someone is prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money for him?

Well if thats the case we better have some quality lined up to replace him with. Someone who will get people excited not just a promising young kid or someone elses cast offs.

No player is bigger than the club is right. If he wants to sod off to City for the money and all that then **** let him.

Where did that come from? :lol: He hasn't said anything to suggest he's on his way. If anything he's been taking lessons from Martin on saying loads without saying anything.

It was an 'if'. Hopefully a massive IF that is off the mark.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if theres any point in following football anymore with clubs like man city about.

Football is about more than just the money.

Unfortunately, however, if you want to be really successful you have to have loads of it!

The question is, would you swap what we have for what city have?

Never.

How could we feel proud if we won the league after buying a squad of £20m-£30m players?

I play in a band and people ask "would you go on X Factor" or "Are you going to send your songs off to Simon Cowell?"... :? .. no I'm not. Going on a reality show is a fast-track to being famous. What is your legacy? A few number one hit singles and then people forget about you.

Man City are the same in my opinion. If they win the league in the next 3 years... what are people going to say? ... "Wow! What an acheivement!!! You won the league and you only spent £350m !!... How ever can we live up to that?"..

I hate to refer to spurs .. but they go about things a better way.. investing in talent, selling them on for £20m/£30m... continuing to invest in quality. Now they've broken into the top 4, will probably buy a few players of a higher quality - and then they will probably aim to break into the Top3.

That's what we should be doing - and it'd be much more of an achievement. (I know that what I am explaining - sounds a lot like "sell James Milner"... but it didn't mean to :winkold: )

frustrated by the doom and gloom but spose its part of being a villa fan, i think 2 things -

if jimmy says no im definitely staying, and MON decides to cash in on him, he looks a tit and no doubt gets booed at VP next season

if he says he's definitely staying then the ball is in MONs court for the contract negotiations

its not as bad as people are making out, just (unlike SSN of course) spin it in our favour rather than city's

IMO Milner will leave, and it will continue to happen (players leaving) until we have owners as rich as Man City's. I don't like it but its the harsh reality. Football has been ruined by money, so if you can't beat em, join em. As much as I love Randy, he doesn't have enough money for us to compete properly with the other top 6.

if that is the case, why haven't Arteta and Cahill left Everton?

Money talks, but not to everyone.

As Ian Taylor said, if we sell Milner it sends a big message out to everyone that we are nowhere near a top 4 club. It would put us down the ranks big time.

Selling the PFA player of the year who was our best player last season would be a sin. Unless we get £40m I don't want him to go. Even £30m isn't worth it.

Fecking Berbatov was £30m.

It was an 'if'. Hopefully a massive IF that is off the mark.

I saw the 'if'. It was more the 'sod off' and the '**** let him' that I thought was a strange choice of language against a player who is a) currently ours b)currently a fan favourite and c) hasn't suggested he wants to go anywhere.