The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

Moxley tagged with Okada yesterday at the first 'main' New Beginning show, against Suzuki and Taichi. Moxley wore an eyepatch, maintaining the kayfabe injury inflicted by Jericho in AEW. 

Moxley and Suzuki beat the shit out of each other, obviously, including a portion of the match outside the ring where they effectively jousted with guard railings.

They meet in a singles match next weekend, the first time a Japanese wrestler has contested the US title on Japanese soil. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this clip is 5 years old, but this sums up a lot of what turned me off of WWE.

Maybe my memory is deceiving me, but back in the 90's it seemed like the crowd were hot for everything. Didn't matter if it was a midcard or lower card thing, the crowd got into it.

And if the crowd were subdued the commentators, even if it was Michael Cole instead of JR, got you hyped because they were so excitable and seemed so invested. They made you care.

But look at this clip. The crowd don't care. And the commentators sound like they've just got it on in the background while they're doing something more important.

AEW is so close to what 90's WWE was for me. The crowd are always white hot all night which in turn makes the matches so much more fun, exciting and engaging. When the crowd is asleep it doesn't matter what the wrestlers do. I could be witnessing a 5-star classic, a clinic in wrestling prowess and if the crowd don't care it's all for nothing. AEW fans give a shit and it's not because AEW is new, it's because those in charge of AEW respect the fans and make the fans feel like they are part of the revolution. This weeks episode of AEW Dynamite was at the State Farm Arena which WWE runs quite regularly and I don't think I have heard it sound so loud in a decade, the AEW fans brought the noise and it made a great episode even better. 

I know it's an entrance and fans tend to pop for those more, but Darby Allin had only been out of action for 3 weeks and he comes back to the kind of pop usually reserved for those out for 6 months. I love the AEW crowds.

On 17/02/2020 at 18:33, sharkyvilla said:

The internet has killed a lot of what made it great when I first watched it when Channel 4 started showing it.  I've tried watching it since it's gone to BT but it's pretty painful viewing.  The worst bit for me is the scripted promos and commentary.

Yep. I think people knowing what's going to happen via the internet and also having such a massive opinion on who should and shouldnt' be pushed and not pushed ruins a lot of it.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 14:59, Daweii said:

AEW is so close to what 90's WWE was for me. The crowd are always white hot all night which in turn makes the matches so much more fun, exciting and engaging. When the crowd is asleep it doesn't matter what the wrestlers do. I could be witnessing a 5-star classic, a clinic in wrestling prowess and if the crowd don't care it's all for nothing. AEW fans give a shit and it's not because AEW is new, it's because those in charge of AEW respect the fans and make the fans feel like they are part of the revolution. This weeks episode of AEW Dynamite was at the State Farm Arena which WWE runs quite regularly and I don't think I have heard it sound so loud in a decade, the AEW fans brought the noise and it made a great episode even better. 

I know it's an entrance and fans tend to pop for those more, but Darby Allin had only been out of action for 3 weeks and he comes back to the kind of pop usually reserved for those out for 6 months. I love the AEW crowds.

I need to watch more AEW. It's on UK television now right?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I've been meaning to do the same. 

A friend of mine, who has always been into wrestling, tells me it's the best thing out there right now and very similar to the glory days of WWE. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You'll be able to catch up with the Dynamite shows on ITV Hub. They air weekly on ITV4. The Dark stuff is on YouTube, and the PPVs are that on ITV Box Office.

I've been following Mance Warner's career over the last few years, mostly in CZW and GCW, but I think he's had a decent run in MLW too. The guy is such a good fit for AEW, a fued with Moxley simply must happen. He reminds me of Mox from his CZW title run, relentless, brutal, skilled, cuts a great promo...he'd be a great fit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There are two ways to watch in the UK.

The first way is via ITV4 where it airs at 11pm on Friday night.  

The second way is via Fite TV. This requires a $4.99 monthly sub to AEW+, but you get to watch Dynamite live at 1am on Wednesday if that's your thing, or on-demand at any time after the initial airing.

Ok so caught up with a few episodes of AEW and then watched dynamite Friday. Just caught revolution this morning. 

Officially hooked. **** brilliant and so much better than WWE. I've tried to get back into wwe at times but its unwatchable. The way they talk to each other and do promos is like a Saturday morning kids show. And the 25 camera cuts per move make me feel sick.  

I only watched 3 episodes of dynamite but they do such a good job, characters were easy to pick up on quickly and the feuds were easily explained. 

Revolution was superb. The tag match was amazing, main event excellent and I think orange cassidy might be the best thing I've seen in wrestling for years. 

It was entertaining. Interesting feuds. Good matches with some genuine holy shit moves and at times hilariously funny. 

Very impressed. Hope they can keep it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anybody notice hangman page performing a few of Marty Scrull’s moves at revolution kick off the apron and chicken wing? I know Marty has signed a massive contract with ROH and is now head booker, but due to so many hidden references to him as of late wandering if RoH and AEW might form a working relationship? 

Â