The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

All the major names released from WWE yesterday.

• Aiden English

• Curt Hawkins

• Drake Maverick

• EC3

• Epico

• Eric Young

• Heath Slater

• Karl Anderson

• Kurt Angle

• Lio Rush

• Luke Gallows

• Maria Kanellis

• Mike Chioda

• Mike Kanellis

• No Way Jose

• Primo

• Rowan

• Rusev

• Sarah Logan

• Zack Ryder

• Billy Kidman

• Dave Finlay

• Lance Storm

• Mike Rotunda

• Pat Buck

• Sarah Stock

• Scott Armstrong

• Shane Helms

• Shawn Daivari

I would only really care to see Rush sign with AEW, I would love them go all in with a fued between him and Janela. Their series for the Wired title in CZW are amongst the best ever matches in that promotion. 

Lio Rush may wind up in AEW as Janela has a fair bit of pull in the company. Cody especially trusts Janela's opinion when it comes to new acquisitions.

I think the front runners to join AEW at some point are;

• The Revival 
  • Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson 
  • Zack Ryder 
  • Sarah Logan 
  • Deonna Purrazzo

I'm not sure AEW will go for anyone else. They may scoop up Rusev, but I'm not 100% convinced they will. I also don't see AEW going for the backroom staff that WWE just released either because a lot of those are likely just furloughed until this blows over.  

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I'd say Gallows and Anderson will be a shoe in.

I'm not so sure. They loved their time in Japan ('Machinegun' Anderson in particular), so they'd be welcomed back with open arms in NJPW, although it could just as easily be NOAH or AJPW.

On the other hand, Japanese wrestling has more or less completely shut down for the time being, and if AEW seriously want to make their tag team division a big deal, then the more established teams, the better. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Has anyone seen the latest Dark Side of the Ring? It looks at the murder of Nancy Argentino at the hands of Jimmy Snuka in 1983, Vince McMahon does not come off in a good light.

Neither did that cop, Either the stupidest person ever or someone needs to look at his bank account.

5 minutes into the aftershow thing they do for this series you have Greg Valentine saying Snuka also got busted going through customs with a load of weed taped to him & Vince paid 80 grand to squash it

Edited by LakotaDakota

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Has anyone seen the latest Dark Side of the Ring? It looks at the murder of Nancy Argentino at the hands of Jimmy Snuka in 1983, Vince McMahon does not come off in a good light.

I haven’t but I’ve made my way through the first season of Dark Side of the Ring

Its ok. Some episodes better than others. I’d like some more footage in there rather than their reconstructions but understand why that might not be possible. 

One thing I’d say is it’s the first account of the Montreal screwjob that puts Brett in as bad a light as it does. 

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Neither did that cop, Either the stupidest person ever or someone needs to look at his bank account.

5 minutes into the aftershow thing they do for this series you have Greg Valentine saying Snuka also got busted going through customs with a load of weed taped to him & Vince paid 80 grand to squash it

That was one of the best 'gotcha' moments I've seen in some time! That officer couldn't look at the camera. Poor Sam Fatu though when that realisation hit him about his idol. I didn't know that Vince story but that's so shocking (though not surprising). 

Nancy's family were a pillar of strength and dignity in that doc and deserve justice.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven’t but I’ve made my way through the first season of Dark Side of the Ring

Its ok. Some episodes better than others. I’d like some more footage in there rather than their reconstructions but understand why that might not be possible. 

One thing I’d say is it’s the first account of the Montreal screwjob that puts Brett in as bad a light as it does. 

They’re great but I think series 2 has been better.  A lot of new anecdotal stuff in the Benoit ones, the New Jack one is good and does actually give a bit of insight into why he’s such a bastard.

Also the Brawl for All one is great because you get another round of Jim Cornette ranting about Vince Russo and I could watch that all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They’re great but I think series 2 has been better.  A lot of new anecdotal stuff in the Benoit ones, the New Jack one is good and does actually give a bit of insight into why he’s such a bastard.

Also the Brawl for All one is great because you get another round of Jim Cornette ranting about Vince Russo and I could watch that all day.

Yeah the second season is about a lot more stuff that I can relate to and care about. 

As interesting as it is, I don’t really care about the Von erichs or Moolah. Or even macho man and Elizabeth. 

Anywhere I can watch the second season? Or you know... small rivers and that

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah the second season is about a lot more stuff that I can relate to and care about. 

As interesting as it is, I don’t really care about the Von erichs or Moolah. Or even macho man and Elizabeth. 

They’re all on YouTube although the Benoit and New Jack ones are really bad uploads that are just about watchable

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

if you click on the video posted by the_steve a couple of posts above yours the same guy has most of season 2 uploaded too (seems to be missing part 2 of benoit)

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

For those curious, the next Dark Side of the Ring episodes are;

Dino Bravo (pretty famous WWF wrestler until the early 90s, when he was murdered) 

David Schultz (Pro wrestler who slapped a news reporter twice when they told him wrestling was fake) 

Herb Abrams / UWF (short lived promotion which wanted to rival WWF in the early 90s)

The Road Warriors 

Owen Hart

Last two should be self explanatory. I appreciate there's a massive focus on North American wrestling for the series, and that's understandable, but I would love to see them expand a bit in a third series. The story of Antonio Inoki (kind of maybe accidentally invented MMA, they could do a whole episode on him v Ali alone) and Atsushi Onita (definitely accidentally started the whole 'extreme' / attitude thing) would be fantastic, as would the story of ECW and especially the first PPV. 

11 hours ago, hogso said:

For those curious, the next Dark Side of the Ring episodes are;

Dino Bravo (pretty famous WWF wrestler until the early 90s, when he was murdered) 

David Schultz (Pro wrestler who slapped a news reporter twice when they told him wrestling was fake) 

Herb Abrams / UWF (short lived promotion which wanted to rival WWF in the early 90s)

The Road Warriors 

Owen Hart

Last two should be self explanatory. I appreciate there's a massive focus on North American wrestling for the series, and that's understandable, but I would love to see them expand a bit in a third series. The story of Antonio Inoki (kind of maybe accidentally invented MMA, they could do a whole episode on him v Ali alone) and Atsushi Onita (definitely accidentally started the whole 'extreme' / attitude thing) would be fantastic, as would the story of ECW and especially the first PPV. 

Something on NOAH, the Yakuza, the career of Mitsuhara Misawa (and his untimely death), would be a great watch or several episodes. Though it may prove risky to the safety of some if they went in too much on the Yakuza elements.

Don't forget Shoichi Arai of FMW and the Yakuza.

I'd love some in-depth stuff on Inoki for sure.

Â