The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

Haha, yeah! It was actually a 3v3 match believe it or not. I think this is not long after the match ended, and to say it was chaotic is an understatement. That scene went on for at least 15 minutes until Onita finally left the ring, and even then it was a real stuggle to actually get him away from the ring as you can imagine. Incredible atmosphere, and very emotional - I can only imagine what it must have been like in person. The guy was a legit (punk) rock star of the Wrestling world, and his fans treated him as such.

That match has potential to be the semi-final for the Tokyo dome show for sure, and it's absolutely massive for NJPW's presence in North America. I don't think anyone really saw it coming, most people were expecting Omega v Ibushi, so they could fulfil their 'promise' from when  the Golden Lovers left DDT...which would've been huge (maybe 2019? But who knows with Ibushi), but this! Wow. I don't know the how yet, I don't think anyone does, but what must WWE management be thinking? 

WK12 is going to be insane. And I haven't even finished watching Power Struggle yet! 

WWE need to change the way they run things, but that's not an easy task.

For one they are beholden to their shareholders and sponsors who dictate much of WWE programming these days. They are locked in with the USA Network for at least two more years so if their plan is to go back to edgier more "dangerous" TV-14 content they have to wait. WWE have gotten so big that they can start turning the rudder on this ship now, but it will take years for things to truly start turning around and who knows where NJPW will be by then. 

WWE is huge and a decade ago they had nothing to worry about and financially they likely still don't, but it won't be going unnoticed by many on the WWE roster that they could get paid more, get better merchandise royalties and have vastly more creative freedom over their brand and character outside of the WWE. There are guys wrestling night after night on the Indies likely getting paid more at the end of the year than 80% of the WWE roster right now. Why would anyone wrestle for WWE these days? Sure if you make it to the top you may make more money in WWE than on the Indies, but even then it's not guaranteed as I am sure Young Bucks are making similar cash to Roman Reigns.

Chris Jericho in NJPW even if it's a one night only deal is just another sign of a bigger problem in WWE right now. 

12 hours ago, Daweii said:

WWE need to change the way they run things, but that's not an easy task.

For one they are beholden to their shareholders and sponsors who dictate much of WWE programming these days. They are locked in with the USA Network for at least two more years so if their plan is to go back to edgier more "dangerous" TV-14 content they have to wait. WWE have gotten so big that they can start turning the rudder on this ship now, but it will take years for things to truly start turning around and who knows where NJPW will be by then. 

WWE is huge and a decade ago they had nothing to worry about and financially they likely still don't, but it won't be going unnoticed by many on the WWE roster that they could get paid more, get better merchandise royalties and have vastly more creative freedom over their brand and character outside of the WWE. There are guys wrestling night after night on the Indies likely getting paid more at the end of the year than 80% of the WWE roster right now. Why would anyone wrestle for WWE these days? Sure if you make it to the top you may make more money in WWE than on the Indies, but even then it's not guaranteed as I am sure Young Bucks are making similar cash to Roman Reigns.

Chris Jericho in NJPW even if it's a one night only deal is just another sign of a bigger problem in WWE right now. 

Beats me but there has to be some pull considering the amount of Japan and indie stars they've hoovered up over the last few years.

I will give it 2-3 years and the WWF/WWE will proberly stop and cease.

I stopped watching this back in 2002 once wcw/ecw/wwf all merged.

I personally think it's getting worse by the year from low attendance records to poor talent on the books, shite gimmicks and piss storylines.

It looks nowadays like over hyped crap and clutching at straws. Added also the behind the scenes corruption that goes on too.

80's/90's & Attitude era where the best and I doubt it will ever get to them heights again.

WWE folding in 2-3 years? Not a chance. WWE never reaching the heights of the Attitude Era again? It's possible. NJPW are setting out their stall with an all North American semi-final for Wrestle Kingdom, and WWE will need to react to their growth on what is effectively their turf sooner or later. The reason the Attitude Era was as good as it was was due to them taking risks (some of which really didn't pay off!) thanks to the Monday Night Wars. WWE definitely have the talent on the books to challenge the expansion of NJPW - but they don't have the booking clout. At least not at the moment.

Oh, and in other NJPW news, the teams for World Tag League have been announced - the debutants are; Sami Callihan (teaming with Juice - weird), Jeff Cobb (teaming with Elgin instead of Riddle - yeesh), and Chuckie ****' T reuniting the BEST FRIENDS with Trent. IF they go down the somewhat comical route they are going to be soooo over.

WWE's other big issue is that they don't see competition as a good thing anymore. 

WWE wouldn't be where WWE is now without the Monday Night Wars, but now WWE seem scared of that kind of competition. My fear is that anyone that gets too big will just get bought out, or stripped of its assets through WWE just luring all their talent.

WWE needs NJPW, but I think a post-WCW WWE will do everything in their power financially to make them go away before they have to win a ratings or quality war again. We win if WWE and NJPW go to war, but WWE will do everything to make sure that won't happen.

What were we saying about WWE needing to react? :lol: I wonder if the booking was changed after Monday mornings news from Japan? "Look! We can do dream matches too! And you don't even have to wait very long for this one!"

• Like 2

Well Jinder is losing his appeal, Kenny Omega v Chris Jericho does sound pretty cool, but Y2J is getting on abit now, the match itself i don't think will be as epic as it is made out.  The hype will be bigger than the match i feel (hope i am wrong).

On 11/7/2017 at 11:32, hogso said:

WWE folding in 2-3 years? Not a chance. WWE never reaching the heights of the Attitude Era again? It's possible. NJPW are setting out their stall with an all North American semi-final for Wrestle Kingdom, and WWE will need to react to their growth on what is effectively their turf sooner or later. The reason the Attitude Era was as good as it was was due to them taking risks (some of which really didn't pay off!) thanks to the Monday Night Wars. WWE definitely have the talent on the books to challenge the expansion of NJPW - but they don't have the booking clout. At least not at the moment.

Attitude Era was great at the time but when look back was a lot of bad storylines involved. They did create solid superstars like Edge, Kane, Mankind etc  but without Steve Austin and The Rock and lesser extent D-X the popularity wouldnt have got taken off and have not produced anything on that level since

Football equivalent would be Barcelona having once in a generation talent like Xavi, Iniesta and Messi come out of there academy through pure luck with the timing

11 hours ago, hogso said:

They're really going all out for this. 

I am really looking forward to SS now, some great matchups. Obviously the raw women team will win the womens match as aksura is on it, which I think will mean the SD men will win the SS match. AJ vs lesnar will be awesome. Be great if Aj got the win but i have a felling they will just feed another to lesnar (yawn) 

if they really want to elevate AJ to cena level they need AJ winning 

How long until the world of professional wrestling gets embroiled in the current sexual assualt and abuse story in the states? Vince at the very least has quite a storied past in that regard.

Â