The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

So we're either gonna see the rubber match or Naito's redemption at WK12, with an EVIL title shot in the meantime? Not sure which I would prefer...nah, gotta be Okada v Omega IV, hasn't it? 

Fantastic wasn't it. The whole final day, top to bottom. KES return, Suzuki-gun making roads to be top dogs, the tag title matches, the final, **** SHIBATA. So glad I put the time in to watch every day of it, really paid off in the end. I'd never done that before. 

The best promotion? Without question. For me they're hitting heights not seen in Japanese wrestling since AJPW, the King's Road, and the 'Four Pillars of Heaven' in the 90s. Further to that, the way they operate with other promotions is raising the game everywhere. It's also very clear that the style of wrestling resonates massively with the fanbase, so promotions all over the world are trying to put their own spin on it. 

I'd recommend a sub to NJPW World for any wrestling fan asap, some of the content demands to be seen. A lot if it, in fact. The future is very, very bright too. Some of the young lions are already awesome (Kitamura!). 

22 hours ago, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

Corbyn cashed in...and lost :lol:

Spoiler

I don't think that's the end of the story with regards to that one.

I think JBL kinda gave away the angle they are likely going with here by focusing on how "Corbin was screwed" and "That it's not in the rules that the opponent has to be ready when cashed in on". Normally when the commentators plant those seeds it's so the following show when Corbin is complaining it's not out of the blue.

This could very well be the end of the MITB story for Corbin, but I feel that he'll complain to Daniel Bryan at Summerslam and the match with Cena will become a "if Corbin wins he gets the briefcase back" match. 

Spoiler

Edit: Mahal's foot was under the rope during the pin. In fact Mahal positions himself during the pin to make sure his foot is under the ropes. I feel there is more to this failed cash in yet. 

Edited by Daweii

Just had the pleasure to watch what may be my MOTY, Zack Sabre Jr. v Chuck Taylor from PWG's Pushing Forward Back :D Last 10 mins in particular were crazy, it had everything!

Summerslam was actually awesome. Probably best PPV of the year although

The bad

Spoiler

Mahal winning the title. His reign has been a disaster, should ahve put Nakamura over

the good

Spoiler

Lesnar being power slammed through announce table. Superb main event

The shield winning tag titles

Surely has to be Lesnar vs Strowman at Survivor Series now

Enjoyed Summerslam a lot; loved the main event, great match between Bliss and Banks, good tag-team action, decent stuff between Styles and Owens, and some great lines from Cory Graves on commentary. If anything, seeing the two brands side by side really demonstrated how much better the Raw commentary is - even Booker. Plenty of bad stuff too, though - I almost feel asleep during Corbin/Cena, which isn't great for your opening match, and what was the point of the Orton/Handsome Rusev match?

Best moment - Cesaro vs beachball.

Worst moment - The Heartbreak Kid, Mr Wrestlemania, dressed as Colonel Sanders. Can't JBL give him some stock tips or something? Guy must be desperate for money.

15 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:
  Hide contents

Big Cass looks like he just suffered an ACL tear a couple minutes ago, tough break for him. 

Yeah it looked painful and the footage they have on the website of him getting checked over it doesn't look good. 

Anyone keeping up with the WCPW World Cup? It's the finals tonight, all events have been, and it will air live, on YouTube. Here's the last 16 matches 

Spoiler

Mike Bailey (Can) v Travis Banks (NZ) 

Bad Bones (Germany) v Penta el Zero M (Mex) 

Hiromu Takahashi (Jap) v Lucky Kid (Ger) 

Angelico (SA) v Richochet (USA) 

Joe Coffey (Sco) v Joseph Conners (Eng) 

Kenny Williams (Sco) v KUSHIDA (Jap) 

Jay Lethal (USA) v Zack Sabre Jr (Eng) 

Rey Mysterio (Mex) v Will Ospreay (Eng) 

It's a promotion set up by wrestling fans, basically, and as such they consistently put on dream match ups. Some of the above are really good, and if you don't watch ROH/NJPW/LU/WXW/PROGRESS, etc. then this also serves as a great intro to some incredible wrestlers you may not know. More so if you go back to the earlier rounds too. So if you have some spare time this bank holiday weekend you could do worse than watch some if this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Anyone keeping up with the WCPW World Cup? It's the finals tonight, all events have been, and it will air live, on YouTube. Here's the last 16 matches 

Hide contents

Mike Bailey (Can) v Travis Banks (NZ) 

Bad Bones (Germany) v Penta el Zero M (Mex) 

Hiromu Takahashi (Jap) v Lucky Kid (Ger) 

Angelico (SA) v Richochet (USA) 

Joe Coffey (Sco) v Joseph Conners (Eng) 

Kenny Williams (Sco) v KUSHIDA (Jap) 

Jay Lethal (USA) v Zack Sabre Jr (Eng) 

Rey Mysterio (Mex) v Will Ospreay (Eng) 

It's a promotion set up by wrestling fans, basically, and as such they consistently put on dream match ups. Some of the above are really good, and if you don't watch ROH/NJPW/LU/WXW/PROGRESS, etc. then this also serves as a great intro to some incredible wrestlers you may not know. More so if you go back to the earlier rounds too. So if you have some spare time this bank holiday weekend you could do worse than watch some if this. 

Damn, Angelico v Ricochet should be insane. 

Edit: Apparently these matches already happened? It's really hard to find any info on this tournament

Edited by Phumfeinz

• 2 weeks later...

I caught up with the 3 most recent GCW shows over the weekend. If you're a fan of death match wrestling, they're a must. I haven't seen death matches consistently this good since the ultra violent heyday of CZW. 

They're booking some great matches (Nick Gage v Matt Riddle, Joey Janella v Teddy Hart, Violento Jack v Danny Havoc, Lio Rush v Keith Lee) and booking those matches incredibly well, building SHLAK, Jimmy Lloyd and Marcus Crane into legimate stars over their last few shows. 

Probably not worth going near if you don't like death matches though, they produce entire cards full of them - which included Matt Riddle taking light tubes to the head against Gage! 

Edited by hogso

Â