The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

To be fair why should WWE put sting over? He didn't want anything to do with them and finally came to get his wrestlemania moment.

Also triple H will still be part of it whereas chances are that's sting done.

I was so impressed with lesnar. Haven't watched wrestling for a long time but the way he just threw reigns around was impressive.

To be fair why should WWE put sting over? He didn't want anything to do with them and finally came to get his wrestlemania moment.

Also triple H will still be part of it whereas chances are that's sting done.

I was so impressed with lesnar. Haven't watched wrestling for a long time but the way he just threw reigns around was impressive.

They've been asking him for years so it's not like he was desperate to do it.

Vince has said a few arrogant things about him apparently in a stakeholders meeting. Saying he dragged sting out of obscurity and the wwe made him relevant.

It may be the case that hhh would be fine laying down for sting our that sting may not have wanted to go over but I still believe this was simply nothing more than an ego boost for Vince.

Edited by Ingram85

was reading other day about what they did to Steiner and Goldberg and even Booker T when Vince got them. Also it was HHH who made them look awful especially as was done so quickly together

that was my 1st point though he made Booker, Goldberg and Steiner look bad so I dont think a coincidence if tried do the same to Sting ;P

Vince did that with a lot of WCW wrestlers, intentionally or not.

When the invasion happened the whole WWF universe was against WCW. You had these WCW and ECW guys coming in, and everyone hated them. Nobody wanted them to win, naturally, and they were nearly all big heels purely because of where they came from.

Then once the invasion was over, we were supposed to like these guys. Even as heels wrestlers can be liked or respected. But with the WCW guys that didn't really happen because WWF fans had been programmed to hate WCW and all their wrestlers. Most of them never had a chance in the WWF for that reason.

that was my 1st point though he made Booker, Goldberg and Steiner look bad so I dont think a coincidence if tried do the same to Sting ;P

Vince did that with a lot of WCW wrestlers, intentionally or not.

When the invasion happened the whole WWF universe was against WCW. You had these WCW and ECW guys coming in, and everyone hated them. Nobody wanted them to win, naturally, and they were nearly all big heels purely because of where they came from.

Then once the invasion was over, we were supposed to like these guys. Even as heels wrestlers can be liked or respected. But with the WCW guys that didn't really happen because WWF fans had been programmed to hate WCW and all their wrestlers. Most of them never had a chance in the WWF for that reason.

Actually not all of them were hated. DDP got an enormous pop when he turned up during the invasion, and then NWO, Steiner and Goldberg were very popular when they arrived later on. I feel it was more of a problem with how they handled the Invasion, they should have just bought out the bigger names at the time rather than waiting for their AOL-Time Warner contracts to run, and then they totally dropped the ball on the Invasion angle. 

Perhaps, in retrospect, they could have switched the Smackdown brand to Nitro, or something akin to that...

Yeah it was a problem with the way they handled it. They should have made more of an effort to build up the wrestlers coming in.

Like I said, if you spend months telling fans that they're evil and the WWF are great then it's no surprise that the fans ultimately don't take much of a liking towards the invasion wrestlers.

Yeah, and the likes of Lance Storm, Hugh Morrus, Buff Bagwell, Chris Kanyon were basically mid-carders, so they were never going to get over anyway. 

And then you take a main eventer like DDP, put him in a BS angle with Undertaker, have him lose on PPV in what was basically a squash match, and then he's wrestling for the European title like a week later. 

Just terribly handled. 

• Like 1

They should have waited a year then all the big guns would have been out of contract and they could have had proper WWF versus WCW, and Austin could have fronted the WWF.

It may have been the initial plan, as they were going to run WCW as a separate entity until that Buff Bagwell v Booker T match got booed out the building.  Had they been able to run WCW as it's own brand for some time and introduced the big stars gradually as their contracts expired then they could have started challenging WWF for supremacy and a proper invasion angle could have begun.

WCW would have been strong enough on it's own which meant ECW could have operated as a third wildcard entry rather than joining up with ECW.  I still get goosebumps watching that segment where ECW reformed and Heyman went to the ring to announce it.

• Like 1

To be honest, they should have just bought out all the contracts, the returns would have more than justified it. What they did was just rank short-termism, and it meant that potentially the greatest storyline in the history of the business turned out to be a total dud.   

• Like 1

Â