• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Pterov
    • Carew
    • Heskey
    • Albrighton (for Dunne 72)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 77)

again mon gets the use of youngsters all wrong. you shouldnt be throwing kids like albrighton in to games like that where they are under pressure to pull rabbits out of hats. he should have already been given game time in matches that were already won. but it all been said before...

cant even get annoyed about the 60 minute patch of dross that was served up between the bits where we looked half decent, we've seen it before, we've talked about it before, we all know that certain things never get changed and it leaves me overwhelmed with indifference because its so frustrating watching a team every week that is so contradictory in its performances.

A lot of over reactions on this board. I saw Charlie Nicholas on SSN before this talking about how quick we are to get on our teams backs, and he's right unfortunately. Some of you lot are pathetic.

It wasn't our best performance today for sure, but it wasn't out worst either. In the end I'm glad not to have lost, Wolves aren't as poor as some people have made out, and they were up for this one, and had a full week to prepare. They got very lucky but defended well. We would have won with Gabby, I'm quite sure of that.

That said we are just a bit one dimensional. We can't rely solely on crosses into the box, particularly when Heskey is never about to get on the end of them. And we should have seen Delfouneso, Albrighton was the wrong change and didn't impress, we had plenty of wingers on at that stage. I can't understand how he gets left on the bench time and again when we need a goal.

Ratings:

Friedel - 6

Cuellar - 5: Got done today too often by Jarvis (who looked good btw). I think Young would have been a better choice for this game. I wish our manager was prepared to rotate occasionally.

Collins - 6

Dunne - 6

Warnock - 5: Has developed a tendency to do rash things in the last few games, lots of hoofed slices and a terrible back pass today. I like his overlapping, but he hasn't been as solid since his injury.

Downing - 5: Poor.

Petrov - 7: Fought hard today

Milner - 6: Quiet.

Young - 8: He was excellent all game, worked exceptionally hard and really gave their full backs a tough time, putting plenty of good deliveries in.

Heskey - 6: Often ineffectual and perpetually frustrating, but he made a few crucial touches today, like in the build up for our second. He has no goal threat though, and should lose his place again when Gabby is fit.

Carew - 8: Not only the goals, he worked really hard today and was often isolated up front. If he can keep playing like this we can still snatch 4th.

I thought carews hold up play was immense today. I think he has been really good lately and has been banging in the goals.

Some idiot behind me kept shouting and gobbing off ALL match about how shit carew is. Everything carew did he kept saying, I could have done that.

He said it about the reading goals... I could have scored that from 6 yards bla bla bla. Plus many fans slating and even calling oour players names was just disgraceful. I'm so **** off. Not about the match but how these people call themselves suppoorters.

**** disgraceful!

We have some shit fans tbh, plenty of great ones too, but you only have to look on here to see how shallow some of the support is.

Disagree with nearly every moan on here. We started with reckless aggression on the attack. Looked like world beaters at first. The problem was that our defenders played with the same reckless aggression and over-ran things. On the first goal, Petrov was overly aggressive for a needless tackle from behind to give the kick, then our defensive line attacked about 2 yards in front of where the ball actually came down. More calm patience in defense and this would have been 3+ to 0 to us as Wolves would not have been able to park the bus.

Albrighton showed me what I have suspected. The constant calls to play more of the fringe players are misguided. MON knows they're just not ready yet. He's not being stubborn when he doesn't play them, he's being right. Albrighton, Fonz, Delph, have great potential for the future. But not yet.

I'm not all rosy and positive, just think that most of the moans on here are way off the mark. I have two. The back line, and Petrov, played with too much frantic aggression. CALM DOWN and play safely. We need a new way to break down a defense that packs it in.

Disappointed with only one point, it's not the end of everything good. We've still got a decent shout of Europe next year.

Very good post.

Wouldn't say we were reckless though, the defence was a bit lax and we do have a habit of our defence being greater than all it's pieces, and one piece is off form the rest falls down a tad.

But otherwise, agree wholeheartedly, especially on the kids comment. Massive potential in them, but they're not going to be making the difference yet.

Gutted as well.

Really thought the Fonz for Heskey could have done it. Wrong match to enter Albrighton. Downing mostly invisible, Warnock was atrocious, Cuellar really isn't an attacking force. I'm a bit worried about the season. Right now.

Positives: We DID manage to fight back and at least equalize. Carew stands up and proves himself where it counts most. That's it.

Over the past few games I think it's been made pretty clear that Heskey is the one who should go this summer and not Carew.

100% yes. Heskey at his best is Carew having an average game.

Carew doesn't have average games. He's either woefully poor (lazy) or excellent. Recently we've been seeing his excellent side.

Really disappointed with the performance today, if we want that 4th place this is the sort of game we should win. But it's not over yet because the others will drop points, hopefully this weekend.

Friedel - 6 - Not much for him to do.

Cuellar - 4 - Awful, both in defence and attack. He's not a right back, everyone knows that except for one man.

Dunne - 7 - Best defender today.

Collins - 6 - Was OK, but his performances have dropped lately. I think Cuellar should get a chance here.

Warnock - 5 - Poor display from him today. Made a few mistakes which could have cost us.

Downing - 5 - Once again anonymous. I think we'll see the best of him next season when he gets a proper pre season and has settled in.

Young - 7 - MOM for me. Our only real attacking threat today along with Carew. Top, top player.

Petrov - 6 - Not the best game from Stan. Clumsy tackles and he looked tired.

Milner - 6 - Average display from Milner. Just not his day.

Heskey - 5 - Started well but faded. No threat at all and his hold up play wasn't the best. Why the **** didn't Delfouneso get at least 10 mins?!

Carew - 7 - Does what you want from a striker - scores goals! Played well today.

Albrighton - 5 - When he finallly gets a chance, he's put at right back! He's not a right back and so I dont blame him for looking nervous.

Sidwell - 6 - Finally did something useful.

I hope Gabby is fit for Wednesday and Cuellar isn't playing RB.

Heskey was back defending also at set pieces

Heskey doesn't work as hard as Carew in tracking back, simply because he doesn't have the engine, pace or qualities to do so.

Carew was immense today.

Btw a little side note, that striker that Wolves sent on the 88th minute looked like a Carew clone ... lol.

Anyway I'm feeling a lot better now after watching this again ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbAiaIqOMHo

Watch it and you will feel happier! :D

1509: Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill after the draw with Wolves: "They were not the best goals in the world but to fight back when we had to throw everything at it, I've got nothing but admiration for the players. I couldn't have any more respect and regard for the team." And on the Champions League: "The race is well and truly on and we are not out of it."

1509: Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill after the draw with Wolves: "They were not the best goals in the world but to fight back when we had to throw everything at it, I've got nothing but admiration for the players. I couldn't have any more respect and regard for the team." And on the Champions League: "The race is well and truly on and we are not out of it."
Imagine sending that team out in the Champions League? we couldn't handle Kevin Doyle and Matt Jarvis.