The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Even better then, mine is a second gen so it has a speaker unlike the first gen. I didnt know the third gen had a mic. Just avoid the camera and GPS apps. Dont pay for OS 4.0 either. When 3.0 came out they wanted iPod Touch users to pay a tenner for it, which was bullshit as you could just download the file for free from one of about ten thousand mirrors and execute it via iTunes.

Isimples is free and hilarious if you have a 5 year old who thinks getting it to say "What is that terrible smell" in the meerkat voice everytime he walk in a room with his little sister in

the "Simples" is rather good for annoying adults with as well

Agreed Tony, one of my housemates and I phoned my other housemate upstairs using 2 phones, 1 to call and one to use iSimples, just pressing 'WHO ARE YOU' and 'LISTEN UP YOU PANCAKE MIXTURE'

Unfortunately she knew it was us because we were laughing so hard she could hear us in her bedroom, but good fun all the same!

I tried icamcorder lite... on my 3g.. It only did 15 seconds but considering we had zero video before, this is cool. I just bought the full version with unlimited time and more effects. The reviews say it's better than cycorder etc on a jailbroken 3g. Works on 2G as well :)

I tried camera plus as well, seems like a decent free upgrade to the standard camera.

Confirmed new iPhone

What's new

• Front-facing video chat camera

• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)

• Camera flash

• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)

• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.

• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack

• Split buttons for volume

• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed

• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound

• An aluminum border going completely around the outside

• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)

• Everything is more squared off

• 3 grams heavier

• 16% Larger battery

• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

Everyone is backing the html5 bandwagon, just not h264 as a video codec for licensing reasons. (IE without chrome framework, FF and Opera)

Haven't read up on the latest news but last I heard Google released the source VP8 so we may see an end to the codec squabbling

/me waiting for the Don or Levi to correct me on errors.

Youtube is already running a HTML5 beta. I'd join it but currently it only works on IE, Chrome and Safari. If Youtube makes the switch, everybody will follow. I would imagine the two will run side by side for a while before HTML5 wins.

btw, does anybody know how HTML affects the filesize of a video? Assuming identical resolution and duration, is it smaller, bigger or about the same?

I tried icamcorder lite... on my 3g.. It only did 15 seconds but considering we had zero video before, this is cool. I just bought the full version with unlimited time and more effects. The reviews say it's better than cycorder etc on a jailbroken 3g. Works on 2G as well :)

I tried camera plus as well, seems like a decent free upgrade to the standard camera.

iVideoCamera is an excellent .59p app for turning the 3G into a video recorder.

It has an unlimited time feature and a few camera effects like vintage camera, heat vision, breaking news, snow globe etc.

You can share the videos immediately from the app to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, SMS, TwelveSeconds, Email, Save to Camera Roll, FTP and a Wifi sharing which is so amazingly easy.

I took some video on the low setting (without realising) and it is totally watchable on my PC screen, so I am excited to see how the high setting is.

Yes, I bought the full version too just after that post! I find it ok, good for a laugh, nothing super duper. But worth it definitely!

On the flash thing... try googling Apple vs Adobe.

Chaos Rings, its expensive but its a really cool game - made by square enix so you can guess what it is like, you're dropped into a room with other couples and have to fight to the death - a little more complicated as a storyline runs alongside it. (Its not all based in a room, like an orgy)

Graphics are very good.

Loving Pocket Legends at the moment. Like a very simplified Diablo.

It's quite samey at the moment but good fun. Works brilliantly online and has so much potential. Just hope they expand it to make use of it!

I have it on my Phone but am yet to really start anything other than choosing my character.

Â