The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

It's a good strategy for Apple in relation to profit margins. Basically they stop making the iPhone 5 replace it with a plastic version of the same phone which will be cheaper to make yet sell it at the same price.

What this will do is bring a "new" iPhone which will generate interest a cutting of the price of the iPhone 5 wouldn't have. This should increase sales and given it's cheaper to make it'll mean more profit for Apple.

The finger print scanner is nothing major but it's handy addition imo. Especially as the phone replaces the credit card. I think combined with nfc in a few years time it would be very useful.

Apple hate nfc though. Which is slowing the progression of contactless payments.

Anyway iPhones run iOS and have tenny tiny screens and bad battery life. So total non runner for me. But expect these to sell well.

People must be stupid to buy the 5c.

If it was £200 cheaper than the 5s then I could understand why.

I wouldn't call them stupid. The hardware has plateaued so there isn't much new anyone will get from a new iPhone 5S. But some people may really want a yellow phone. It's the same hardware as the iphone 5 internally and it's priced the same as the iphone 5 would be priced now as the older model.

It's just apple will make more money per device. While people will get to pick a colour.

I just don't understand why anyone would want a bright coloured toy looking phone when you can pay £80 more and have a premium looking phone. They should of just kept the 5 on sale.

Lots of people want colourful phones and it also makes your phone a but different.

Remember a large amount of iphone users are never leaving apple ever. So for them it's something new. I'd imagine that the 5C will drop in price when the iPhone 6 comes out with a 4.5 inch screen next year.

They'll cover it with one of Apples new colourful cases. They have holes in the back so you can see the colour back underneath. Apple know how to make money off their brand. They deliver a standard of device both in build and in OS experience. It's not good value for money but then again neither is a pair of Gucci shoes for example. Apple sell of their brand

Reduce the ridiculously sized bezels at the top and bottom, give it at least a 4.5 inch screen, make iOS more customisable and knock a couple hundred off the price then I'll at least start to think about it. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

They'll cover it with one of Apples new colourful cases. They have holes in the back so you can see the colour back underneath. Apple know how to make money off their brand. They deliver a standard of device both in build and in OS experience. It's not good value for money but then again neither is a pair of Gucci shoes for example. Apple sell of their brand

I know they do. My mate has the 4 and was going to buy the 5 once the 5s cane out. He doesn't want the 5c due to the colours so he said he'll just get the 4s. I just don't get it!

He's an idiot if he's going to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S now. Why?

I think it's stupid to be confined by what apple supplies to its fanatics.

I pick devices based on my needs. I'll do a bit of research or ask some people who are informed better than I am.

But your friend is just proving my point. Constrained by his need to own an iPhone so much he'll buy an absurdly over priced 2 year old phone to stay with Apple. It makes my head hurt.

Edited by CVByrne

He's an idiot if he's going to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S now. Why?

I think it's stupid to be confined by what apple supplies to its fanatics.

I pick devices based on my needs. I'll do a bit of research or ask some people who are informed better than I am.

But your friend is just proving my point. Constrained by his need to own an iPhone so much he'll buy an absurdly over priced 2 year old phone to stay with Apple. It makes my head hurt.

I've tried telling him. I asked him why he feels he can only buy an iPhone and his response was 'its easy to use, stick to what I know'. He recons he's desperate for a new phone and that's the 'easy' option.

Tech sites, particularly in America have to defend Apple iphones or simply ignore the negatives in order to placate the ifans as it is directly related to sites traffic. So you just say apple products are the best, then move on with the rest of your sites reporting.

Take the verge, Josh tore iOS to pieces, then slapped 8.8 score on the iphone saying it's just him that needs Jellybean. So he reviews the phone but ignores his own views and defaults to most people will be happy.

It's pathetic, but he has to do it. A large number of Apple fans that read tech sites are in a large part irrational and don't accept negative criticism of Apple, they will only read sites that praise apple.

That's why techradar produce the best reviews, they mocked the Galaxy S2 for being too light and what do you know they did the same to the iphone. The criticised Android keyboard 2 years ago about speed of typing compared to Apple and low and behold they mention that they can type 30% faster with SwiftKey on an S3.

It's refreshingly objective.

But what's worse is how apple only gave review units of the iphone 5 to their tech press alies. So if you want to a review unit in future you need to maintain the positive iphone reviews.

There is no level playing field in terms of reviews yet. But it's getting closer to the time when there will be.

As a relative internet retard, this was interesting to read

I'm no 'Apple fanboy' but I do own a Mac and an iPhone. I know there are better alternative for less out there but I stick with Apple because I have NEVER had a problem with them and I find their products really user friendly. I have an iPhone 4 and an old white Macbook and I won't get anything new until they explode. And when they do I'll probs just get a Mac and an iPhone again as it seems to just work for me.

I can hear the scoffing and incredulity from here and I totally get that but I have no good reason to use anything else when my current set up works fine and I've had 4 years free from technological hassle.

It's called brand loyalty. Apple have very high brand loyalty as the majority of the people who buy their products are not concerned with getting the best they're more concerned with getting consistency and reliability.

You look at the landscape 3 years ago. Android was just starting to get traction, windows laptops were in a race to the bottom and the only option for getting quality was Apple. So that's what people did. But like everything people cop on and catch up.

The current crop of high end Android phones are superior to the iphone. The current crop of Ultrabooks wipe the floor with the Macbook Air. It's a completely different landscape to what it was 3 years ago.

The only place Apple still lead the curve is with the ipad. When the refresh comes next month it'll maintain its position especially with the 2nd gen ipad mini.

Â