Dunne, better than Laursen?

PompeyVillan

Who's better?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Laursen
    • Dunne

laursen when he played, however there is no point having the worlds best player if he never plays.

i liked laursen, i said we should off load him due to injury and replace, i made a mistake because he played most of the next season and was awesome, but that was his last season unfortunately.

dunne is playing well, he is lucky that collins and cuellar are both also good in the air and quick tackling, im sure he would not look half as good playing next to curtis davies when he his head isnt right.

If it isnt difficult enough to compare players then this one is very dificult as one has very good fullbacks and the other had little or none.

Both made/makes mistakes. Martin was quick (not as quick as Davies) Dunne reads a little better.

Dead heat

If it isnt difficult enough to compare players then this one is very dificult as one has very good fullbacks and the other had little or none.

Both made/makes mistakes. Martin was quick (not as quick as Davies) Dunne reads a little better.

Dead heat

A couple things?

Bouma and Mellberg were hardly bad full backs to play with!

Also, Dunne reads it a little better, Martin was quick?

Surely that's the other way round? Dunne's deceptively very quick while Martin was fairly slow but read the game so well.

I think Laursen was a better player with the right partner BUT I think Dunne can play alongside anybody. The two together would have been fanstastic.

There's a lot in this. You are right Dunne, like Macca, can not only play alongside anybody but he also lifts his partner's game several notches.

Depends which Laursen you mean.

The laursen we had at the start of last season? Not a chance, he was awesome.

After contract talks? Dunne is miles better.

Hard to compare really so Im gonna go with Laursen only cause we saw more than half a season of him.

Dead heat

A couple things?

Surely that's the other way round? Dunne's deceptively very quick while Martin was fairly slow but read the game so well.

The quick thing is debatable and I know Dunne isnt a sloth.

Now then, Melberg was a shocking fullback and although Bouma's a fan fav he isnt a patch on Warnock, or Young for that matter.

Melberg and Petrov used to have massive rows during the game which came to a head during the 4-1 win over Newcastle.

Whilst I loved Mellberg here right back was never his position. He did a job there just like Cuellar is now. Bouma is a very good defensive fullback but didn't have too much going forward.

Laursen was not slow.

He wasnt very quick on the turn, granted. But in a straight pelt for the ball not many would beat him.

What let him down towards the end was being alongside Davies, it seemed ML had been told win every header. Whether it meant losing position or barging other players out, he went for everything.

Bit playground type football really. Shame.

Laursen was not slow.

He wasnt very quick on the turn, granted. But in a straight pelt for the ball not many would beat him.

What let him down towards the end was being alongside Davies, it seemed ML had been told win every header. Whether it meant losing position or barging other players out, he went for everything.

Bit playground type football really. Shame.

Laursen told Davies that every ball coming into the half was his, Davies said this in an interview at the time.

The Davies - Laursen partnership was very good, with no full backs to boot. (save Bouma at times)

Dead heat

A couple things?

The quick thing is debatable and I know Dunne isnt a sloth.

Now then, Melberg was a shocking fullback and although Bouma's a fan fav he isnt a patch on Warnock, or Young for that matter.

Melberg and Petrov used to have massive rows during the game which came to a head during the 4-1 win over Newcastle.

I don't think it's debatable, just look at Laursen get absolutely paced by Fuller last year at the start of the season when he was 100% fit and then look at Dunne keep up with the likes of Rooney who is very quick. Dunne's also far more composed on the ball. Laursen was more of an attacking threat though. I'd still go Dunne for sheer ability.

also they aren't a patch on Young and Warnock no, however Luke Young has started something like 11 games out of 23 this season, so alot of Dunne's games have been with Cuellar RB and Warnock LB, or in the last two games, Luke Young.

I don't know if someone's got the proper statistics but I don't think he's played more than 9 games with the pairing of Young and Warnock.

I don't think it's debatable, just look at Laursen get absolutely paced by Fuller last year at the start of the season when he was 100% fit and then look at Dunne keep up with the likes of Rooney who is very quick.

Fuller is very quick and has outpaced a lot of defenders in this league. Also it was quite simply a brilliant turn and probably would have fooled most defenders, not just Laursen.

I don't think it's debatable, just look at Laursen get absolutely paced by Fuller last year at the start of the season when he was 100% fit and then look at Dunne keep up with the likes of Rooney who is very quick.

Fuller is very quick and has outpaced a lot of defenders in this league. Also it was quite simply a brilliant turn and probably would have fooled most defenders, not just Laursen.

Yes but still, Dunne is alot quicker, than pretty much 90% of Premiership defenders. :lol:

Nah.

The way I'd put it is like this

Richard Dunne is a 90% version of Shaun Teale

Martin Laursen was a 50% version of Paul McGrath

But 50% of Paul McGrath is worth far far more than 90% of Teale.

Do you get me ?

So what percentage is Dunne of McGrath? And what percentage was Lauren of Teale?

And surely Dunne is more like McGrath and Laursen like Teale?