The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Bad defeat for Joyce. I don't see him coming back from that to earn a title shot. He's going to need several months off at the minimum if the eye socket isn't damaged. If it is then he's looking at 6 months min. At 39 he's going to struggle getting back in the frame.

Great win for Zhang! Always thought he would be dangerous for Joyce due to his lack of defence. 

No way does Joyce get a crack at the big guns, he’d be toast.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You have to feel for Joyce, should have had a title shot a while ago, but now will likely never get one. Definitely underestimated his opponent. 

His career as a pro has actually moved at pace, it just looks like it’s slow because he’s old. Joyce’s problem isn’t that he’s been moved too slow as a pro, it’s that he stayed amateur far too long. 

• Like 1

I thought Hrgovic just had an off night and didn’t take Zhang that serious ( the Croatian should not of won that fight ) but Zhang is obviously pretty good. Bet the shit outta Joyce really, some feat when you consider Joe has pissed it as a pro up to now. 

I’m still trying to fathom what the game plan was from Joyce.  I don’t want to insult the man’s intelligence by suggesting it was to walk through Zhang until he gassed, but that appeared to be the case.  Zhang was definitely slowing down after four rounds, but he’s also a massive heavyweight (and a southpaw!) so could just do so much damage in the first quarter of the fight that the outcome was inevitable.  Imagine Joyce trying that against Wilder.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I’m still trying to fathom what the game plan was from Joyce.  I don’t want to insult the man’s intelligence by suggesting it was to walk through Zhang until he gassed, but that appeared to be the case.  Zhang was definitely slowing down after four rounds, but he’s also a massive heavyweight (and a southpaw!) so could just do so much damage in the first quarter of the fight that the outcome was inevitable.  Imagine Joyce trying that against Wilder.  

He’d be sleeping inside the first round. 

Got to say I am somewhat excited by the fight this weekend. Change my mind four times in the last week. Proper 50-50 in my opinion even though tank is slightly favourite. Bring it on. Someone’s 0 has got to go, or has it ??

Edited by Follyfoot

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Got to say I am somewhat excited by the fight this weekend. Change my mind four times in the last week. Proper 50-50 in my opinion even though tank is slightly favourite. Bring it on. Someone’s 0 has got to go, or has it ??

Good point! Wouldn't surprise me one little bit were it to end in a draw. 

I'm leaning towards Garcia, and you have to give him credit for taking this fight when most thought it wouldn't happen. What a will say, there is no sweeter left - hook in boxing than Garcia's. 

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fury - Ruiz announced for July.

I can't shrug loudly enough to express my excitement for that one.

Hoping Tank delivers a real statement performance at the weekend.

Fury is such a joke. I'm sure the PPV numbers will absolutely suck and rightly so. Better still Ruiz gets lucky and knocks him out. 

I'm still on the fence with this one. I think it will either be Davis by late stoppage or Garcia beats him on points. Garcia looked pretty drained in the final presser imo, where as Davis looked fully hydrated already. It's an exciting fight though and hat boxing needs. 

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fury - Ruiz announced for July.

I can't shrug loudly enough to express my excitement for that one.

Hoping Tank delivers a real statement performance at the weekend.

What has happened to Fury? 

Either make the fights people want to see or bugger off.

Â