The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Crawford, but ever so slightly. Great fight. 

Yeah, I got Crawford too on ring craft and that lefty awkwardness. He's also good in a shootout but very close fight to call confidently. 

Edited by avfc1982am

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If that one happens we've got a great set of fights coming up; Tank-Garcia, Haney-Lomachenko and then Spence-Crawford would be a fantastic run.

Inoue - Fulton too. To the casual means nothing but elite level trade fight. Inoue could lose - a sign of how highly Fulton is rated. 

I can’t believe how much the boxing world thinks Haney beating Lomachenko is a sure thing. This will be a really tough fight for him. Let’s look at facts. Far too much stock was placed in Lomachenko’s loss to Lopez and Lopez’s loss to Kambosos. Hype went into overdrive with Kambosos ( Haney’s best win ) and it seems EVERYTHING that happened before is forgotten. The fact Kambosos needed two SD to beat lee selby and mickey bey. Haney getting badly hurt and having difficulty with Linares. Yes, Lopez beat Loma fair and square but to suggest he isn’t a live dog in this fight is absurd. Easily the highest ring IQ Haney has been in with. I’d be shocked if he pissed this. 

Just now, Craigyh74 said:

They're not fighting, they're going up against each other in Soccer Aid I'm led to believe

Ah ok… tbh, nothing is surprising anymore. We could see Floyd Mayweather versus Rita from Coronation Street and it be a possibility.

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ah ok… tbh, nothing is surprising anymore. We could see Floyd Mayweather versus Rita from Coronation Street and it be a possibility.

Rita would give him problems if one of the pre-fight conditions was he had to eat one of Betty‘s hotpots

• Haha 3

Speaking of new lows, Jake Paul is now fighting Nate Diaz (in boxing) in August.

So the guy fights an actual boxer by trade in Tommy Fury (who isn't even very good), gets utterly outclassed, and is now back to fighting smaller, older MMA fighters.

The whole charade will continue ad nauseum as long as people keep buying it. Diaz will pull a lot of numbers in so it's bound to be a box office success.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Speaking of new lows, Jake Paul is now fighting Nate Diaz (in boxing) in August.

So the guy fights an actual boxer by trade in Tommy Fury (who isn't even very good), gets utterly outclassed, and is now back to fighting smaller, older MMA fighters.

The whole charade will continue ad nauseum as long as people keep buying it. Diaz will pull a lot of numbers in so it's bound to be a box office success.

It’s not really a proper fight and does nothing to improve the dwindling reputation of boxing but it’s certainly a fight I would like to watch.

Edited by AVFCDAN

People like Jake Paul pull big numbers. Even ex-boxers like Froch and Bellew who seem well retired have been tempted to get back in the ring for a big payday against a weak fighter. It’s a no brainier if offered isn’t it?

I definitely don't blame Diaz, or any fighter for that matter, for taking the fight if offered. He'll probably earn more money from this than he did for any of his fights in the UFC.

But for Jake Paul, it's not going to help his boxing reputation (which already took a massive hit in his last fight).

Ultimately, it's very nearly impossible to begin training in a sport in your twenties and expect to compete at the highest level against guys who've been doing it their entire lives.

16 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

I definitely don't blame Diaz, or any fighter for that matter, for taking the fight if offered. He'll probably earn more money from this than he did for any of his fights in the UFC.

But for Jake Paul, it's not going to help his boxing reputation (which already took a massive hit in his last fight).

Ultimately, it's very nearly impossible to begin training in a sport in your twenties and expect to compete at the highest level against guys who've been doing it their entire lives.

But the longer he keeps trying, the more likely he is to get hospitalised.

Really looking forward to Zhang Joyce tomorrow. Proper old-fashioned slugfest. Neither will have problems hitting the other and I expect Joyce to wear him down in the mid to later rounds as Zhang does tend to fade later on in fights,

Zhang will be a danger for all the time he is in there as he can certainly bang a bit. This and the fact that Joyce has not fought a wrongun for some time makes it a good watch

Edited by Follyfoot

Â