The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I've just watched a load of post fight stuff and both Joshua and Hearn allude to a rematch.   Ruiz will probably want it in LA or Vegas where the Mexican support will be strong. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He brings nothing to the table so decreases. Not even clear there will be a rematch with Ruiz, depends on the contract.

You'd imagine Joshua was safe guarded with a water tight contract. Ruiz jr was plucked from relative obscurity and wasn't mandatory with any of the governing bodies. Hearn said nov/dec in the UK.

He’ll (AJ) look weak bringing the rematch to the UK. It’ll spin more money for them though. If he wants to be the real deal he should insist on it being in the US, maybe even MSG again, can then try and file the first fight away as a blip.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

You'd imagine Joshua was safe guarded with a water tight contract. Ruiz jr was plucked from relative obscurity and wasn't mandatory with any of the governing bodies. Hearn said nov/dec in the UK.

Lots of things can happen, clauses may not always be honoured and may not always be immediate.

There's a massive opportunity here for Fury. Fury is fighting a bum shortly and will be free for late this year, if his team can find away to usurp Hearn and secure a fight for Ruiz's titles, win that with ease, the rematch with Wilder next year suddenly becomes a fight for the undisputed heavyweight crown and from that POV, the biggest and most important heavyweight fight since Lewis Holyfield.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’ll (AJ) look weak bringing the rematch to the UK. It’ll spin more money for them though. If he wants to be the real deal he should insist on it being in the US, maybe even MSG again, can then try and file the first fight away as a blip.

The right thinking but I think Joshua is lacking in the heart department and will want to go back to the UK in front of his mindless, seal like fans. He certainly didn't want to go out on his shield last night and allowed the ref to stop the fight. He's just too manufactured rather than being cut from the sort of cloth that the greats were cut from.

I would t go as far as say AJs finished as there isn't many big name heavyweights over there. 

I suspect hearn inserted a uK rematch which is a farce as ruiz should get the choice. 

But I did notice as well he has trouble fighting shorter fighters as well. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Lots of things can happen, clauses may not always be honoured and may not always be immediate.

There's a massive opportunity here for Fury. Fury is fighting a bum shortly and will be free for late this year, if his team can find away to usurp Hearn and secure a fight for Ruiz's titles, win that with ease, the rematch with Wilder next year suddenly becomes a fight for the undisputed heavyweight crown and from that POV, the biggest and most important heavyweight fight since Lewis Holyfield.  

Possibly but just my opinion that there wasn't a hope in hell ruiz got this fight unless he made lots of concessions contractually. I've heard comparisons drawn this morning that joshua has to do a Lewis with Rahman kinda thing now. Miles off. When Lewis lost that fight he was the man at HW. That wasn't in doubt. So he basically just righted a wrong in the rematch and was rightly regarded as the best again. For the last 2 to 3 years Joshua, Wilder and Fury have been jockeying for position as number one and it was subjective who people would regard as best. Joshua is in a terrible position now. Even beating Ruiz won't do anything for his status. He can have 3 or 4 of those belts drapped around him and he's basically number 3 or 4 even in the division now and that will never change unless he beats wilder or fury. They are ahead of him now. No question.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Possibly but just my opinion that there wasn't a hope in hell ruiz got this fight unless he made lots of concessions contractually. I've heard comparisons drawn this morning that joshua has to do a Lewis with Rahman kinda thing now. Miles off. When Lewis lost that fight he was the man at HW. That wasn't in doubt. So he basically just righted a wrong in the rematch and was rightly regarded as the best again. For the last 2 to 3 years Joshua, Wilder and Fury have been jockeying for position as number one and it was subjective who people would regard as best. Joshua is in a terrible position now. Even beating Ruiz won't do anything for his status. He can have 3 or 4 of those belts drapped around him and he's basically number 3 or 4 even in the division now and that will never change unless he beats wilder or fury. They are ahead of him now. No question.

Ruiz is also an Al Haymon fighter I think so actually could have Wilder fighting Ruiz later this year, again, depending on the contract. There's a possibility that a rematch clause wasn't considered as the fight supposed to be a foregone conclusion, the flip side is that refusing a rematch might be viable depending on the compensation required, or, the rematch clause isn't 'immediate', freeing up Ruiz to fight other boxers. The incentive for Al Haymon here is to keep all of the belts under his stable and effectively make Wilder the undisputed champion as far as the 4 main belts go. I'm sure they're all pouring over the possibilities. 

I agree that the Lewis - Rahman situation doesn't compare. Not only for your reasons but also because Rahman took Lewis out in one shot, the narrative as a result was easier to spin, 'everyone at heavyweight can punch, especially Rahman, I just got caught by a lucky shot'. Lewis I think also blamed the altitude. Whereas Ruiz - Joshua was more of a deconstruction and there's really no obvious excuses.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ruiz is also an Al Haymon fighter I think so actually could have Wilder fighting Ruiz later this year, again, depending on the contract. There's a possibility that a rematch clause wasn't considered as the fight supposed to be a foregone conclusion, the flip side is that refusing a rematch might be viable depending on the compensation required, or, the rematch clause isn't 'immediate', freeing up Ruiz to fight other boxers. The incentive for Al Haymon here is to keep all of the belts under his stable and effectively make Wilder the undisputed champion as far as the 4 main belts go. I'm sure they're all pouring over the possibilities. 

I agree that the Lewis - Rahman situation doesn't compare. Not only for your reasons but also because Rahman took Lewis out in one shot, the narrative as a result was easier to spin, 'everyone at heavyweight can punch, especially Rahman, I just got caught by a lucky shot'. Lewis I think also blamed the altitude. Whereas Ruiz - Joshua was more of a deconstruction and there's really no obvious excuses.

If your Wilder your getting on the phone to Haymon right now telling him " We've no date for Ortiz, no venue , pay him step aside money and give me Ruiz next " 

17 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

If your Wilder your getting on the phone to Haymon right now telling him " We've no date for Ortiz, no venue , pay him step aside money and give me Ruiz next " 

Yes that's true! He can then turn around and say that he beat the guy who beat Joshua. 

• Like 1

Joshua will get a rematch and it will be in London.

Ruiz should insist on it being in Mexico City, that would really test Joshua’s metal.

I’m waiting for the conspiracy theories to start, people are already saying Joshua’s dad was really angry at Hearn over something.

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Ruiz should insist on it being in Mexico City, that would really test Joshua’s metal.

I’m waiting for the conspiracy theories to start, people are already saying Joshua’s dad was really angry at Hearn over something.

Would make Joshua look extremely weak if true.  No heart.

Word on the undercard. Buatsi is the real deal. Punches very precisely, wastes nothing. Josh Kelly. ? He's a KO waiting to happen. General rule of thumb in boxing is if you carry your hands that low , showboat and rely on reflexes you had better be a puncher. He isn't. Taylor was very lucky. Thought the Belgian shaded it. Callum Smith - very Callum Smith performance really, not much to say. 168lbs is weak so he could clean up .

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hearn has done a terrible job with Joshua since Povetkin. It's the arrogance of Hearn i hate. From last November he had Wembley booked for Joshua for an April date. Never had an opponent but thinks Joshua v Anyone sells out Wembley. I've heard they gave tickets away for Povetkin because they couldn't shift them. Sky must be pissed that AJ is locked into this DAZN deal. If he wasn't Fury and Wilder negotiations be much easier.

35 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Word on the undercard. Buatsi is the real deal. Punches very precisely, wastes nothing. Josh Kelly. ? He's a KO waiting to happen. General rule of thumb in boxing is if you carry your hands that low , showboat and rely on reflexes you had better be a puncher. He isn't. Taylor was very lucky. Thought the Belgian shaded it. Callum Smith - very Callum Smith performance really, not much to say. 168lbs is weak so he could clean up .

Still in that zone of uncertainty for me. For 10 fights in, wins over Periban and Quinlan in the manner he won those fights in is very good, but there's a lot of talent in that division and the step up from those guys to the top tier is an enormous one. Also worth noting that neither Periban or Quinlan are proper lightheavyweights having had their careers at lighter weights, so that fact alone needs to be factored in. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â