General Chat

Stevo985

Rugby was 'the' sport at my school and is probably 'the' sport on the IOM, especially among the schools. I'd never played properly before when I moved over and even the weedy kids in my year were like demons when it came to play, at the very least they had the technique. Unfortunately, I equalled the school 100m record in my first year meaning they thought I was ideal for the wing and I had to play. I had a few good games in fairness but it was pretty demoralising not having a clue of where to be, how to tackle properly and how go into a tackle when every git around you did.

I think it depends on what P.E teachers you had really. High school, had basically teachers mainly into football, therefore loads of football matches, enter most competitions, middle school, I'd say rugby was taken more seriously because teacher was more of a rugby man, although as a sporting year, we won pretty lots of things, so cricket/football/rugby were all taken seriously because we were good at all of them.

Rugby was 'the' sport at my school and is probably 'the' sport on the IOM, especially among the schools. I'd never played properly before when I moved over and even the weedy kids in my year were like demons when it came to play, at the very least they had the technique. Unfortunately, I equalled the school 100m record in my first year meaning they thought I was ideal for the wing and I had to play. I had a few good games in fairness but it was pretty demoralising not having a clue of where to be, how to tackle properly and how go into a tackle when every git around you did.

Isle of Man?

zu440k.jpg

The all weather pitch? Arrow Vale?

South Wales!

In the 70's and early 80's

Absolute living stereotype nightmare.

Oh :lol:

I was close! I just remember you said you lived in Redditch and my school was the only school in Redditch with an all weather (I think).

Funnily enough my old man's from Swansea, played a lot of ugby there when he was young.

I needed a pair of black/grey jeans so went shopping on the weekend. The CHEAPEST pair I could find (and apparently black jeans must not be "in" because it was bloody hard to find a pair unless I wanted ones that were like trying to squeeze a hosepipe over my rugby player legs!) were £45. Annoying!

I could have gotten you a pair for $20. And why has the skinny jean caught on so well? It's bad enough on women but on men it's just an upset.

^^^^ I was getting really concerned for the fellas because they are still very much considered high heels here. So it was painting a really interesting picture for me.

And I'm glad all is well Wiggy!

There is also a male pump in US English:

220px-Patent_court_shoes.jpg

It's somewhat archaic though (I only know this because I read a John O'Hara novella back in high school that featured a character (a young man going to a ball in a central Pennsylvania town) wearing pumps and I'm like :? ).

I believe the UK term for this is court shoe, though on both sides of the Atlantic they're not worn that frequently (basically only white tie and similar occasions).

Extremely gay. Do most countries listen to songs in English by the way? seems weird...

If this German Top 40 chart is any guide, yeah they do. Maybe 5 out of 40 tracks are German (judging from their titles).

Hell even the French chart is majority English language (at most 15 non-English tracks).

Anglo-American cultural imperialism, baby.

I needed a pair of black/grey jeans so went shopping on the weekend. The CHEAPEST pair I could find (and apparently black jeans must not be "in" because it was bloody hard to find a pair unless I wanted ones that were like trying to squeeze a hosepipe over my rugby player legs!) were £45. Annoying!

I could have gotten you a pair for $20. And why has the skinny jean caught on so well? It's bad enough on women but on men it's just an upset.

*laughing*

I really do feel that way.

*subject change*

So apparently some guy in a white van assaulted a man with a baseball bat 4 streets away from my house. Then a man of similar description was seen 2 streets from my house shooting another man, it seems at random. I have heard cop cars and ambulances off and on for the last half hour.

WTF is wrong with people!?!?!

Im still here. :D

We have had a few bad debts in the last 12 months (to the tune of £170k), so times are tough. We have loads of work on but with a hole of £170k and very very tight prices in the industry its all about cashflow issues.

Anyway, it was just to talk about the struggles ahead etc. cutting and managing costs.

Phew! Was genuinely worried for you :)

Cheers Bri. :)

I had you down as quick, Stevo. :)

Haha, nope. Not quick enough to be a centre.

I'm not exactly slow, for my size anyway (I'm 6'3"), but not quick enough to play in the backs particularly.

Rugby is too rough, I played fly half for about 3 years till people started stamping on my head. Then I stopped.

I've had my neck stamped on. And my knee was studded, of which there is a big scar present today. All part of the game!

The worst pains I experienced playing Rugby was a broken finger, and another time, we were doing line out practice at school and to lift someone, you had to grab them by the front and back of the shorts and this one time, someone caught up some pubes while grabbing my shorts before lifting me.

Yeah that one HURT!

Yeh the most painful injury I've had was what i thought was a broken pinky finger. I tried to tackle and somehow my finger ended up getting bent backwards.

My aunt, being a nurse, told me it was broken so just leave it until the swelling went down. Anyway, when it went down I couldn't straighten it. Turns out I'd torn the muscle under the second knuckle and it had healed back with a bent finger, so essentially the muscle thinks the finger is straight, when it's not...if that makes sense.

Anyway, I still can't straighten that finger.

But yeh, that's my most painful injury *touches wood*. I felt like a right pussy moaning about my pinky finger!

Extremely gay. Do most countries listen to songs in English by the way? seems weird...

If this German Top 40 chart is any guide, yeah they do. Maybe 5 out of 40 tracks are German (judging from their titles).

Hell even the French chart is majority English language (at most 15 non-English tracks).

Anglo-American cultural imperialism, baby.

Cool. :D

You just live in a rough 'hood, ME.

Back to Rugby, you are far more likely to pick up an injury in football than in rugby.

what are you basing this on? a large number of my friends are from a local rugby club, i would say they suffer as many injuries as those that play football. They certainly suffer more serious injuries. I would also say the long term affects of playing rugby seem worse. Ask anyone that has played for 20 years or so (you'll be able to tell who they are by the disfigured nose and ears), most of them can barely walk and suffer long term knee and ankle injuries.

Certainly the theme amongst most i know.

You just live in a rough 'hood, ME.

Back to Rugby, you are far more likely to pick up an injury in football than in rugby.

what are you basing this on? a large number of my friends are from a local rugby club, i would say they suffer as many injuries as those that play football. They certainly suffer more serious injuries. I would also say the long term affects of playing rugby seem worse. Ask anyone that has played for 20 years or so (you'll be able to tell who they are by the disfigured nose and ears), most of them can barely walk and suffer long term knee and ankle injuries.

Certainly the theme amongst most i know.

Rugby I played for a fair few years and the worst I picked up were a handful of scars and the odd shoeing in a ruck.

In football, I have had my knee ligaments ripped, my ankle almost broken, cracked my head open three times and almost snapped my wrist.

Add to that I've broken two people's ankles in a tackle/collision and someone's arm. (Bizarrely) As well as that, most of my friends have suffered similar things, the odd injury in rugby but far more in football.

There are more injuries in football then rugby because there's more twisting, it's quicker and in rugby your more prepared for the contact. Football is more unpredictable IMO. Thats what I think anyway :)

I don't remember having any bad injuries playing rugby. I got a couple of black eyes and got raked quite a bit, but the worst injury I got was just a bit of concussion after badly timing a tackle. Playing football I tore my hamstring, fractured my shin, strained my thighs and quads, had a really bad concussion and had all sorts of nasty knocks and strains to my knees and ankles.

Â