General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm like that with hip-hop. I compare these tracks that some of you are disagreeing about, and I can only hear the most minimal differences in what is overall a horrible sound. You may as well be comparing the differences in flavours of vomit. 

I realise, of course, that this is subjective...

same here.

Chaps we have a "things you don't get " thread for Hip Hop discussion  :) 

P.S failing that we have "The Other Music Thread - DnB, Dub, Reggae, Techno et al" , "What song are you listening to"  , "The good the bad and the ugly"   or "best decade for music" threads 

anyway carry on .....

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Chaps we have a "things you don't get " thread for Hip Hop discussion  :) 

P.S failing that we have "The Other Music Thread - DnB, Dub, Reggae, Techno et al" , "What song are you listening to"  , "The good the bad and the ugly"   or "best decade for music" threads 

anyway carry on .....

OK, getting back “On Topic”, who is your favourite General?

I’d go for General Levi…. Oh no! I’ve started talking about MCs again!

Sorry Tone!  ;)

19 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

OK, getting back “On Topic”, who is your favourite General?

I’d go for General Levi…. Oh no! I’ve started talking about MCs again!

Sorry Tone!  ;)

I literally have no idea who you are talking about but there's only one Levi as far as I'm concerned and he's the one who posts 20,000 words on a topic when 15  will do  :) 

• Like 2

I literally have no idea who you are talking about but there's only one Levi as far as I'm concerned and he's the one who posts 20,000 words on a topic when 15  will do  [emoji4] 

Don't pretend you've never made little squeaky noises accompanied by, "wicked! Wicked! Junglist massiv!"

We all did it Tony.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

1. Erwin Rommel 

2. Pyotr Bagration 

3. Bill Slim 

As with all lists, subject to change.

Cromwell would make any top 3 list for me , but he was a Lieutenant general and I'm not sure if they are the same thing ?

4 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

Don't pretend you've never made little squeaky noises accompanied by, "wicked! Wicked! Junglist massiv!"

We all did it Tony.

Delbert Wilkins was the only person I ever heard use the word "wicked" and needless to say you wont catch me using any TV stars catchphrase ya know what I mean

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Lieutenant generals count. 

Let's say Brigadiers and up. 

Ok

1)Tran Hung Dao - he was about the only general to defeat the Mongolians .. and he did it 3 times

2) Napoleon - yeah pains me to say it but having watched the BBC documentary on him a few months back he has to be in the list

3) Oliver Cromwell - mainly because he accomplished so much for someone with no formal military training ..close-order cavalry formations with discipline and quick reactions in battle

I was thinking of Saladin as well , I went to his tomb once in Damascus and I swear even standing by you kinda get a sense of awe about the person , he accomplished loads on the battle field  and also didn't butcher everyone in sight in an era when it was kinda the done thing

alas that still  that overlooks the obvious in Alexander  the Great , Caesar (the roman not the talking Ape)  plus a few other Romans for that matter and the Mongols as well of course  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

True, but most are.

I'm going to put in a shout for "Stonewall" Jackson.

Worst general in history has to be Haig.

Don't be fooled by Blackadder's portrayal of him  :) 

WW1 was a huge shift in the way war was fought (tanks , new tactics etc)  so I think he cops a lot of criticism unfairly  , He may not be a great General but he wasn't the worst one to ever take command either

Don't be fooled by Blackadder's portrayal of him  [emoji4] 

WW1 was a huge shift in the way war was fought (tanks , new tactics etc)  so I think he cops a lot of criticism unfairly  , He may not be a great General but he wasn't the worst one to ever take command either

I can't even remember the portrayal in Blackadder. I have more of a problem with him seeming to not understand that underground reinforced concrete withstands explosive bombardment and walking in lines across mud after blowing a whistle to let the enemy know you're coming when they're armed with Maxim machine guns is incredibly stupid.

3 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

. I have more of a problem with him seeming to not understand that underground reinforced concrete withstands explosive bombardment and walking in lines across mud after blowing a whistle to let the enemy know you're coming when they're armed with Maxim machine guns is incredibly stupid.

If you take something like the Somme , British causalities were on a par with  the losses which German, Austrian, Russian and French troops all suffered .. he made mistakes for sure , he kept changing Rawlinson's plan for example  but as I say I think it was that war changed as much as anything  ... I seem to recall that something like 30% of British shells failed to explode during the aerial bombardment on the German defences ..he probably couldn't have foreseen that either

Â