General Chat

Stevo985

11 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

Gift of Gab from Blackalicious. /done.

He's very good but not better, although with Blackalicious he's made better albums than Thug has with his releases. I could name an whole host of rappers better than Gab.

Young Thug makes some of the names mentioned so far sound bourgeois, including ones I cited. They're good and will have put out better albums than YT but for vocal delivery he's better

actually Elizabeth Claire Prophet

is the best.

3 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

So the gist of this is that he's not as good, but he's better.

No, Young Thug has done more decent songs than Blackalicious have done, just that his haven't been properly yet, (they were all leaked last year).

My favourite Hip Hop album is 'Loaded with Power' LP version by 'Sensational', with that you couldn't get any further away from Young Thug. Sensational isn't what most would call a good rapper but I just like the overall sound, the otherworldly sound that he puts into the production is what makes it.

Hip-Hop is definitely one of those things that falls in the "things you don't get" thread. Just makes no sense to me at all. I just can't even remotely fathom the attraction to it. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

KRS One. FTW!

"I'm not saying I'm number one, oh sorry I lied, I'm number one, two, three, four and five!"

I've seen KRS live a few times, incredible ability to move a crowd, he also has a great ability to shut down a posse cut, I'd recommend people listen to 'Heal Yourself' KRS just takes OVER on that one. 

• Like 2

Must admit, my knowledge of the current Hip Hop scene is pretty limited. It’s a big area of neglect on my behalf, as I travelled down other avenues for my musical kicks. The last time I was keeping up to date, was when I got big into the UK scene of the early 2000s. Was well into the likes of Task Force, Braintax, Jest, Mud Fam, Tommy Evans etc. On the US side, I was also really into the stuff Rawkus were doing around then too. Mos Def and Talib Kwali being among my favourites. My absolute favourite time in Hip Hop is late 80s to late 90s. I posted about 6 or 7 videos of the stuff I’m talking about in the “What Song are you listening to” thread. So many fantastic MCs and producers though, I’d be here all day listing my favourites.

Just now, dAVe80 said:

Must admit, my knowledge of the current Hip Hop scene is pretty limited. It’s a big area of neglect on my behalf, as I travelled down other avenues for my musical kicks. The last time I was keeping up to date, was when I got big into the UK scene of the early 2000s. Was well into the likes of Task Force, Braintax, Jest, Mud Fam, Tommy Evans etc. On the US side, I was also really into the stuff Rawkus were doing around then too. Mos Def and Talib Kwali being among my favourites. My absolute favourite time in Hip Hop is late 80s to late 90s. I posted about 6 or 7 videos of the stuff I’m talking about in the “What Song are you listening to” thread. So many fantastic MCs and producers though, I’d be here all day listing my favourites.

Reflection Eternal is probably one of my all time favourite albums. 

• Like 2

Definitely generational. When I was a kid, my parents would hear (for example) The Rolling Stones, and cover their ears in pain. If I then played them, let's say, Bob Dylan, The Four Tops, Pink Floyd, The Doors and Fairport Convention, they literally couldn't hear any significant difference; it all just sounded horrible to them. 

I'm like that with hip-hop. I compare these tracks that some of you are disagreeing about, and I can only hear the most minimal differences in what is overall a horrible sound. You may as well be comparing the differences in flavours of vomit. 

I realise, of course, that this is subjective...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Was just listening to Black Star yesterday actually. Great stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Was just listening to Black Star yesterday actually. Great stuff.

That's a GREAT album. Kweli and Mos Def never really topped their debut albums (Reflection Eternal and Black on Both Sides) IMO. Kweli's sophomore effort was very good ('Quality') but his albums after I always found to be quite mixed. Mos Def jumped the shark a little bit.  

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Reflection Eternal is probably one of my all time favourite albums. 

Oh McGrath yes!

"This is Nelson Mandela. I represent Johannesburg, South Africa. When in Africa chilling out, I listen to Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek, Reflection Eternal"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That's a GREAT album. Kweli and Mos Def never really topped their debut albums (Reflection Eternal and Black on Both Sides) IMO. Kweli's sophomore effort was very good ('Quality') but his albums after I always found to be quite mixed. Mos Def jumped the shark a little bit.  

Agreed. Even though BoBS grew off me over the years, Black Star is always fresh. They really found the sweet spot with that one.

He's pretty terrible, but surprisingly good on features like Nasty Girl and Shake Ya Tailfeather for example. The worst for me is Birdman/Baby. Just horrible. He even managed to sound terrible on the We Fly High remix which is some feat :lol: 

Â