General Chat

Stevo985

Why thank you sir! God bless a dignitary such as yourself helping out a lowly pauper such as me self, being five social classes below you an' all like.

I don't understand the non-prole use of "supper", which is why I left it out.

For my working class family it was always breakfast - dinner - tea (main evening meal) - supper (small snack before bed).

I later discovered the middle class sequence of breakfast - lunch - dinner (main evening meal). With a possible "high tea" in between lunch and dinner. I assumed they didn't do supper.

However, I have now discovered (via the likes of Nigella "would" Lawson) that posh people have something called "supper", which seems to be the main evening meal.

Is this only for VERY posh people? And does it mean that they don't have "dinner"? 

All very "U and Non-U", fish knives and all that.

It's bizarre to me.

The lunch/dinner thing is fine. I go breakfast - lunch - dinner

but I can undersand the dinner being in place of lunch.

But I though Supper, by it's very definition, was a small meal, or a snack, in the late evening. SO calling your dinner supper doesnt make any sense (to me)

For me it's breakfast → brunch → elevenses → lunch → snack  dinner → dessert → tea → supper → wafer thin mint → barf.

Edited by GarethRDR

Breakfast -dinner -tea, although I have been eating 2 meals a day for at least the last 6 years .I can't eat anything until I have been awake for about 4 hours and then I have a big meal about 6pm.

I can't eat anything until I have been awake for about 4 hours and then I have a big meal about 6pm.

I'm like this too, can't face eating anything when I get up, breakfast for me is Tea/Coffee. 

@BOF dinner for me is evening time, for my country bumpkin parents/grandparents Dinner was always in the middle of the day.

Edited by Corcaigh

I can't eat anything until I have been awake for about 4 hours and then I have a big meal about 6pm.

I'm like this too, can't face eating anything when I get up, breakfast for me is Tea/Coffee.

I used to be like that back when I was at my least healthy. I'm not saying that was the sole reason. It wasn't, but it was a contributing factor. Now I always have something however small, just to kick start the aul' stomach; and therefore my system; in the morning. Even if it's a breakfast bar in the car.

@BOF dinner for me is evening time, for my country bumpkin parents/grandparents Dinner was always in the middle of the day.

Cheers. That's odd. For me the terms supper and tea can go anywhere in the day but terms like breakfast, lunch and dinner are not interchangeable so it's odd to see someone refer to what is 'lunchtime' (as in the common workplace understanding of the word) as being when they have their dinner. Crazy bar-stewards :)

For those who have dinner as their second meal of three, what time would that be at?

Dinnertime, obviously.

Duh. :)

Y I oughta ...

Primary school day was always: Breakfast, (lessons), morning playtime, (lessons), dinnertime, (lessons), afternoon playtime, (lessons), hometime,  tea, family stuff, supper, bedtime.

In primary school they called lunch 'dinners'. Often I would have lunch in school, then get home and ask what was for dinner, only to be answered with "Why? You had dinner in school."

No I bloody didn't! I had lunch, goddammit!

See? See? Ambiguous!

Cheers. That's odd. For me the terms supper and tea can go anywhere in the day but terms like breakfast, lunch and dinner are not interchangeable so it's odd to see someone refer to what is 'lunchtime' (as in the common workplace understanding of the word) as being when they have their dinner. Crazy bar-stewards :)

You probably find it odd BOF as you're an urbane city slicker type :D, I think its an Irish country thing to say you're having your dinner in the middle of the day.

School is different because in school your lunch WAS your main meal, so in that context it was dinner.

#nowweareoveranalysing #hashtagsoutsidetwitterftw

Â