General Chat

Stevo985

i can think of at least one thing worse than trick or treaters; a chubby middle aged woman scantily clad whilst claiming to be either a) a kitty (it is not nor ever has been cute) or B) a school-girl.

and where did you happen to meet this woman? :winkold:

i can think of at least one thing worse than trick or treaters; a chubby middle aged woman scantily clad whilst claiming to be either a) a kitty (it is not nor ever has been cute) or B) a school-girl.

only chubby?

I would - I'm not fussy......

The Museum of Natural Sciences of Vienna, Austria have on a display a recent find from Columbia.

It appears to be some form of a "genetic disk" dating from about 6,000 years ago. Made from Lydite, which IIRC is extremely hard to carve, the disk shows male & female genitalia, sperm and a foetus.

Fascinating object.. about 22cms in diameter, which obviously was attached to something which it turned upon.

fp4eadd1bf.JPG

Blog

It will probably go down as an OOPART (Out of place Artifact)because yet again it shows that ancient civilisations appear to have had far more knowledge than we realise.

And I suppose that's a car at the bottom?

Sperm, schmerm, it's a snake - there's another one that's just eaten something as well (S. American Anacondas, presumably).

What is so fascinating about all of these Lydite artifacts is not just the carvings themselves but how ancient people were able to carve anything on it......... Basanite stone (lydite) is almost as hard as Granite and would have been impossible to carve with the copper or iron tools available at the time, and because the stone is brittle, as it is made up of tiny quartz crystals layered like leaves, they would have shattered from the pounding chisel blows. Nor can the rock be attacked with acid. Due to the difficulty of carving basanite stone these objects could not be made today even with modern technology. So the question remains....how did ancient people carve deep, detailed designs in rock like lydite or make tools from the substance?

ancient-lydite-stone-objects.jpg

No one has a clue what these esquisitely carved tools were used for except that it has been tendered that they were surgical instruments of some description.

I reckon modern technology could make those quite easily.

I also am slightly perplexed as to why we're supposed to be confounded as to how these things where made - we've carved 'difficult' materials for thousands of years. We've carved granite for time immemorial. We've carved brittle objects for as long - slate is one of the most brittle stones around yet we've been able to carve it.

Basanite is simply a form of jasper, which we've used for everything from jewellery to boxwork and quite intricate carving, for quite some time as well.

Signed for Burscough tonight after one training session, payed if I play. Evo Stik Prem, (bottom mind, which is why they've sunk to new lows by signing me but still....have to start somewhere)

So I'm happy, although **** up with some really amazing girl the other night, too drunk, didn't even realise what I did and now i'm in her bad books ..

so content.

I also am slightly perplexed as to why we're supposed to be confounded as to how these things where made - we've carved 'difficult' materials for thousands of years. We've carved granite for time immemorial. We've carved brittle objects for as long - slate is one of the most brittle stones around yet we've been able to carve it.

Basanite is simply a form of jasper, which we've used for everything from jewellery to boxwork and quite intricate carving, for quite some time as well.

Nope. Magic

Nope. Magic

Jasper and other forms of Basanite rocks have been worked for eons, nobody is disputing that in fact one of the most beautiful statues there exists is a Roman Basanite statue of Agrippina the Younger.

However form what I have read Lydite is a completely different kettle of fish. The only use appears to have been as a touchstone for testing Gold.

These ancient Lydite artifacts have perplexed many researchers because of the materials structure and some have mused that to make such tools and intricate carvings using this material the stone must have been liquified, which would have involved extremely high temperatures. Some far fetched theories have even said these artifacts were made by alien technology. Had the material been easily carved, why would anyone question how they had been made?

I can't find anything to back up Chindie's hypothesis of how Lydite artifacts are NOT a mystery at all. All I've seen so far is that they remain a bit of an enigma.

Nor are Lydite artifacts the only enigma from the Ancient World. No one can explain how an ancient civilisation managed to

haul huge stones from a quarry use them to build the Pre Roman Trilithon at Baalbek near Beirut in Lebanon, dating back perhaps some

5,000 years. The Romans then built further upon these massive foundations.

"The massive stones of the Grand Terrace of Baalbek are simply beyond the engineering abilities of any recognized ancient or contemporary builders"

Baalbeck

BaalbekQuarryMegalith.jpg

Not moved by magic or anything supernatural, just a mystery and possibly proof that ancient civilisations were far more advanced than we think.

Just gone and gobbed it in the street. Went for about 2 metres on an impressive

powerslide then finally succumbed. Knee stings like buggery.

I gobbed it at VP a few weeks ago, was a bit drizzly outside, was walking through the behind terrace area where several hundred people were enjoying a pint and a pie, and I took a slow motion tumble. Amazingly nobody took the piss.

Signed for Burscough tonight after one training session, payed if I play. Evo Stik Prem, (bottom mind, which is why they've sunk to new lows by signing me but still....have to start somewhere)

Nice one mate, I think it was Burscough that broke Tamworth hearts a few years back beating them in the FA Vase (could have been a different cup) final at Villa park. A mate of mine was playing up front for Tamworth and had a shocker.

Nice one mate, I think it was Burscough that broke Tamworth hearts a few years back beating them in the FA Vase (could have been a different cup) final at Villa park. A mate of mine was playing up front for Tamworth and had a shocker.

FA Trophy.

The blow was softened by this man lifting the trophy for them on his return to VP though.

_39619511_teale203.jpg

Â