General Chat

Stevo985

I get some sort of allergic reaction to chillis and other spices found in curries. The result is, even the mildest of spicy dishes brings me out in sweats. I mean, to the point where a tin of red kidney beans in a mild chilli sauce from the supermarket, included as an ingredient will have me sweaty. Chilli flavour crisps and I’m dabbing my sweaty brow.

As a result of this, if I’m out for a curry, I have to order a hot one to ‘justify’ that I’ve got the sweats. People are ok with you going red midway through your madras, but its less socially acceptable if you’ve gone for the korma and some starter pickles.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I get some sort of allergic reaction to chillis and other spices found in curries. The result is, even the mildest of spicy dishes brings me out in sweats. I mean, to the point where a tin of red kidney beans in a mild chilli sauce from the supermarket, included as an ingredient will have me sweaty. Chilli flavour crisps and I’m dabbing my sweaty brow.

As a result of this, if I’m out for a curry, I have to order a hot one to ‘justify’ that I’ve got the sweats. People are ok with you going red midway through your madras, but its less socially acceptable if you’ve gone for the korma and some starter pickles.

My son had a funny moment on holiday, had a slice of pizza and thought the green bits on top where peppers but in fact they were jalapeños :lol: 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I sweat eating a packet of Thai Sweet Chilli crisps so my choice on curry night is always the mixed grill tikka  .. I daren't go anything spicy 

Few years back I was testing a concept for a client and we had these red hot tortilla chips  , I opened the packet and was almost in trouble at that point from the smell alone  , but a small nibble on the corner and I looked like I'd been in a sauna , my mate called me a tart and shoved a couple in his mouth and the next I saw him he was running to toilets or looking for a fire extinguisher  ... that said I gave them to the regular curry guys who ate them said , Hmmm they aren't bad and ate the whole packet  .. 

I guess I'm just a bit soft 

• Like 1

Trouble is, I really love the stuff. At home I like to make a curry from scratch and make my own breads n things as well, I love experimenting with all the different versions. At home, I can sit there being a hot mess and it doesn’t matter.

’out’ then I have to think it through and plan ahead even down to what I’m wearing, avoid a shirt that’s going to look like I’ve worn blotting paper to run a marathon, if its up to me, I avoid Indian restaurants as a social thing.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Madras is the hottest I go 

Same. I've had a vindaloo and a phaal but they don't actually taste nice.

Madras is still hot and is actually delicious

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah yes I've heard of this condition. I believe it's called "being an absolute pussy"

;) 

We went for a Curry at the Agra just off Tottenham Court Road, one of those original first generation type curry houses. Pictures on the wall of it opening in the late 1940’s or whenever.

Anyhoo, one of the guys there it was his regular. We were all ordering our meals and he asked for the ‘special naga sauce’ and the waiter said they didn’t do such a thing. He insisted they do, the owner was called over and she said he could have it but nobody else could!

When it turned up, I asked the waiter what it was like why it was such a big deal, to which his answer was ‘please don’t try any, it will **** up your life’.

lamb madras for me, this pussy knows his limits.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of vindaloo's and they are really tasty, but then about 2 thirds of the way in the burn just takes over the flavour, so I tend not to have them.

Not really fussed about madras.  I'll happily have a korma or tikka masala just because they taste nice and sweet. 

Not fussed about the meat (in increasingly small portions) in the sauce either.  Just give me curry sauce and naan bread and I'm happy. 

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 20:31, Xela said:

Bit of an emotional week for my Mom. As you may know, my Nan died just before Christmas last year. My Nan's house has now been sold, completing yesterday. My folks went up on Thursday, for a last look around and to hand the keys to the estate agents.

My Mom has known that house since around the early 60's, when they moved there, when my Mom was little. Previously they lived in the next road in a rented house, which is where my Mom was born. Her whole childhood and young adult life was based in Ladywood. Sad times. 

Coincidentally my Dad was also born in Ladywood, although they didn't know each other as kids. 

Same happened when my Nan passed last year.  She moved into it in 1960 when my Dad was two.

I'd known that house ally my life, used to go there every Saturday.  When I went to see her when she was really ill I made sure I took one last walk around the house and just took everything in.  My other Nan hasn't lived in her house as long but still for the entirety of my life so hold a similar value to me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Same happened when my Nan passed last year.  She moved into it in 1960 when my Dad was two.

I'd known that house ally my life, used to go there every Saturday.  When I went to see her when she was really ill I made sure I took one last walk around the house and just took everything in.  My other Nan hasn't lived in her house as long but still for the entirety of my life so hold a similar value to me.

I did same when my grandparents house went up for sale when my grandad passed. It was my childhood home many find memories of the house and street. One morning when I went out for a run I bypassed the house and went and sat in the back garden for 10/15 mins just to say my goodbyes . 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m a jalfrezi man.

Don’t tell anyone else because I think this is a bit bad in curry aficionado circles, I tend to be a cumin / turmeric / coriander / chilli / paprika / ginger / stock cube / Elmlea double cream kind of man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Don’t tell anyone else because I think this is a bit bad in curry aficionado circles, I tend to be a cumin / turmeric / coriander / chilli / paprika / ginger / stock cube / Elmlea double cream kind of man.

Where the hell are the onions, no curry can start without onions.

Just now, Seat68 said:

Where the hell are the onions, no curry can start without onions.

Well yes, I wasn’t listing the actual total content, I was listing a curry sauce. It would have onions yes, and very likely a whole load of green spring onion too to give it a bit interesting colour, celery (proper home grown stuff including the leaves) and bright red peppers so my misses can push them to the side of her plate like a ten year old. Possibly peas and carrots. And turkey. Proper manly chunks of turkey. 

But basically, that sauce, and then a tidy up of the fridge. Cauliflower curry is excellent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Well yes, I wasn’t listing the actual total content, I was listing a curry sauce. It would have onions yes, and very likely a whole load of green spring onion too to give it a bit interesting colour, celery (proper home grown stuff including the leaves) and bright red peppers so my misses can push them to the side of her plate like a ten year old. Possibly peas and carrots. And turkey. Proper manly chunks of turkey. 

But basically, that sauce, and then a tidy up of the fridge. Cauliflower curry is excellent.

My daughter does this, who is also an adult and I think how can you not eat them, they aren't offensively flavoured.

• Like 1

Â