General Chat

Stevo985

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

On the TV just now they just mentioned that Lulu has announced a tour next year and it got me thinking, has anyone ever achieved more than her with so little?

She has one hit song, from 1965, but has managed to keep getting work off the back of it nearly 60 years later.

Harsh. She's had 7 top 10 singles excluding Take Pratt and 4 of them charted higher than the song I'm assuming you're referencing, Shout. 

55 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have never heard “To Sir, With Love” before (just listened - nope)

I am amazed you have never heard of it before. She was the lead actress in the film of the same name and Sydney Poitier was the lead actor.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I am amazed you have never heard of it before. She was the lead actress in the film of the same name and Sydney Poitier was the lead actor.

Yeah, it seems like something I would have heard before as my folks played loads of stuff from that time but no, that one has passed me by. Looks like it was a bigger hit in the US than it was here, in fairness. Never seen the film. 

I think I also sometimes conflate Lulu with Cilla Black so I might think “Lulu, oh yeah that version of Anyone who had a heart…” and then (surprise surprise) I realise my mistake.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

With a name like that it bloody better have been. 

It was pretty much the original stupid Eurovision title/lyric, spawning a whole sequence of twaddle. 

And it's Lulu's birthday today - 75. 

44 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think I also sometimes conflate Lulu with Cilla Black so I might think “Lulu, oh yeah that version of Anyone who had a heart…” and then (surprise surprise) I realise my mistake.

The Big Four of 60s UK pop divas were Cilla Black, Lulu, Sandie Shaw and Dusty Springfield. In the intervening years, Dusty has become the one with the serious reputation among music critics. Twas not always thus. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Big Four of 60s UK pop divas were Cilla Black, Lulu, Sandie Shaw and Dusty Springfield. In the intervening years, Dusty has become the one with the serious reputation among music critics. Twas not always thus. 

Interesting, I know Dusty had her wilderness years, or at least I think she did. 

But yeah she is the one who is held up alongside the likes of Aretha Franklin.

There’s a certain Welsh diva not in the top four there. Would she be in at number five? With Petula downtown at number six?

21 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Interesting, I know Dusty had her wilderness years, or at least I think she did. 

But yeah she is the one who is held up alongside the likes of Aretha Franklin.

There’s a certain Welsh diva not in the top four there. Would she be in at number five? With Petula downtown at number six?

Shirley Bassey? Hmmm, yeah, but she and Pet Clark were basically considered 'mums and dads music' by my generation. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

On the TV just now they just mentioned that Lulu has announced a tour next year and it got me thinking, has anyone ever achieved more than her with so little?

She has one hit song, from 1965, but has managed to keep getting work off the back of it nearly 60 years later.

This may be unpopular, but Motorhead

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

This may be unpopular, but Motorhead

Kiss as well. Although not sure they are rated, they just seem to have made a long and successful career out of a look. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Kiss as well. Although not sure they are rated, they just seem to have made a long and successful career out of a look. 

Yep. Utter, utter shit band. 

• Like 2

Had a proper lazy day today. Weather shit, so had a lie in and only got dressed about 3pm. 

Now I feel as i've wasted a day, after a hard week at work. 

Â