General Chat

Stevo985

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which was made in China

While fraudulently casting a ballot for Trump in their deceased wife's name, before attending a Trump rally and unironically cheering when he accused the Democrats and RINO' from cheating to steal the election.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I must have been under a rock the last few weeks since when has big brother been brought back and why the **** did they bring it back ??

Some things just be left dead 😒 

do you know what, if its done to the original format it has a place. Its supposed to be a group of people that are representative across society just asking each other questions and trying to co-exist. I always found it a fascinating insight into people and why they react the way they do.

I was watching last night and they have a muslim female from Wolverhampton talking to a trans female. She had some really basic questions like "if you have sex with a man, is he gay?". And i loved it, was apologetically ignorant and just wanted to use the experience to ask things she just didnt understand. 

This for me was classic big brother, it went wrong when they got obsessed with personalities, celebrities and hoping people had sex live on tv.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

do you know what, if its done to the original format it has a place. Its supposed to be a group of people that are representative across society just asking each other questions and trying to co-exist. I always found it a fascinating insight into people and why they react the way they do.

I was watching last night and they have a muslim female from Wolverhampton talking to a trans female. She had some really basic questions like "if you have sex with a man, is he gay?". And i loved it, was apologetically ignorant and just wanted to use the experience to ask things she just didnt understand. 

This for me was classic big brother, it went wrong when they got obsessed with personalities, celebrities and hoping people had sex live on tv.

To me, like all these types of shows, it went wrong when we somehow made celebrities of all the contestants

When it was normal people trying to win the prize then it was ok

When it was people finishing 6th and getting their own TV show afterwards it became complete bollocks because they were no longer normal genuine people they were fame seeking weirdos trying to be outlandish on purpose

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yeah i agree with your points about old format CV. It was all aboyt creating drama and having detestable people on it.

I probably wont bother watching the reboot either as i think BB has had uts day

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To me, like all these types of shows, it went wrong when we somehow made celebrities of all the contestants

When it was normal people trying to win the prize then it was ok

When it was people finishing 6th and getting their own TV show afterwards it became complete bollocks because they were no longer normal genuine people they were fame seeking weirdos trying to be outlandish on purpose

The fame thing kinda almost happened immediately. The first series winner Craig had a stab at a Christmas single, he was a sort of Handy Andy type character for a brief while. 

The second series winner, Brian Dowling had a relatively successful tv career afterwards. It could be argued he legitimately was a good tv host for the sort of stuff he was doing (the Saturday morning kids tv, music chart stuff).

I suppose the point where it kinda flipped with what you’re saying was the third series and Jade Goody. Not the winner, but she kinda became the archetypal BB contestant. The blueprint for wannabe celebrities. You don’t have to be particularly likeable and you can be a success.

I think this was compounded by the fourth season which had a group of people who weren’t massively confrontational, they were by and large relatively normal. That didn’t make for great tv, let’s make sure going forward there are at least four or five Jade Goody esque individuals to piss people off and if you’re more of an outrageous character, Heat magazine are going to pay you more money for an interview, regardless of whether you’re winning the show or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The fame thing kinda almost happened immediately. The first series winner Craig had a stab at a Christmas single, he was a sort of Handy Andy type character for a brief while. 

The second series winner, Brian Dowling had a relatively successful tv career afterwards. It could be argued he legitimately was a good tv host for the sort of stuff he was doing (the Saturday morning kids tv, music chart stuff).

I suppose the point where it kinda flipped with what you’re saying was the third series and Jade Goody. Not the winner, but she kinda became the archetypal BB contestant. The blueprint for wannabe celebrities. You don’t have to be particularly likeable and you can be a success.

I think this was compounded by the fourth season which had a group of people who weren’t massively confrontational, they were by and large relatively normal. That didn’t make for great tv, let’s make sure going forward there are at least four or five Jade Goody esque individuals to piss people off and if you’re more of an outrageous character, Heat magazine are going to pay you more money for an interview, regardless of whether you’re winning the show or not.

yeah im sure kate or whatever here name was had a radio show on something like absolute radio

jade goody is a good shout as probably the turning point for me, nothing to her, if anything i could be very detrimental about her as she wasnt attractive and had no discernable skill set and she was worth circa £3m when she died, she was followed by the likes of nikki, the facist whatever her name is on the apprentice etc etc people who dont win but go on to find huge amounts of fame for not actually doing anything - which i would put in the things id get rid of thread - the whole concept of famous for being famous

that's what killed reality tv in general for me (and why i like bake off of all things because i think the show avoids it completely)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I agree it just became a vehicle for people trying to become famous, which is ironic because you can count on one hand the people who actually became famous out of it. And yet that third series probably created the 3 biggest careers in Jade Goody, Kate Lawler and Alison Hammond.

Sidcow's useless but mildly interesting fact is Nasty Nick Batemen worked for the company I was working for at that time.  You could view his details on the incredibly primitive fledgling intranet we had until the powers that be removed it. 

He kept referring to himself vaguely as a "broker" kind of insinuating stock broker, but he was actually an insurance broker. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I mentioned our new kitchen knives set I stupidly cut my thumb on.

We knew our knives were in a state but I didn't realise just how bad. Proper sharp kitchen knives are a real joy to use.  Plus they're far better quality than previous knives we've had.

Especially that dangerous bread knife.    I've taken to buying fresh farmhouse loaves from a delicatessen round the corner and I hadn't realised how bad our knives were struggling to cut it, now it's like going through a loaf with a power saw.

And chopping vedge, oh - like butter.  Great stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I agree it just became a vehicle for people trying to become famous, which is ironic because you can count on one hand the people who actually became famous out of it. And yet that third series probably created the 3 biggest careers in Jade Goody, Kate Lawler and Alison Hammond.

Sidcow's useless but mildly interesting fact is Nasty Nick Batemen worked for the company I was working for at that time.  You could view his details on the incredibly primitive fledgling intranet we had until the powers that be removed it. 

He kept referinng to himself vaguely as a "broker" kind of insinuating stock broker, but he was actually an insurance broker. 

Bubble?

Captain Tom’s family caught picketing more money raised by him intended for charity

The family of Captain Sir Tom Moore kept the profits from his books for themselves, they have said.

Hannah Ingram-Moore told TalkTV's Piers Morgan Uncensored there had been no agreement with her father that book money would go to charity.

Capt Sir Tom's autobiography, Tomorrow will be a Good Day, came out in 2020.

He writes in the prologue that "with the offer to write this memoir I have also been given the chance to raise even more money" for his foundation.

Ms Ingram-Moore claimed they had kept the profits from the captain's three books - reportedly £800,000 - at his request. 

She said her father wanted his family to keep the money in a company separate to the Captain Tom Foundation.

There is no suggestion that Ms Ingram-Moore acted illegally by keeping the money from the book sales, rather than donating it to her late father's charity.

In the prologue to the 2020 autobiography, Capt Sir Tom wrote: "Astonishingly at my age, with the offer to write this memoir I have also been given the chance to raise even more money for the charitable foundation now established in my name.

They must have millions off him

link

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

Finally bothered to find out when I opened my hotmail account. 31/10/97. Must be one of the oldest still-active accounts they have.

I have a feeling mine may narrowly predate that. But I'll never know, as I've completely forgotten both my login and password. Think I've got a Yahoo! Mail, too. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Captain Tom’s family caught picketing more money raised by him intended for charity

They must have millions off him

link

They always felt a bit....odd.  I couldn't warm to his daughter at all over the TV reports, don't know why, it's illogical to feel like that about someone you've never met.  Spidey senses maybe.

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This seems to havw whats happwnwd in apprentice.  1st season was probably the best then aftee each year they seem to find bigger idiots for 'entertainment value' then thwy tend to keep thw useless people on for longer for the 'entertainment value'

With jade goody she built a great career out of it until she stupidly went back on BB and destroyed her career with the whole shilpa thing.

Reality TV as a general is really **** terrible

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

How do you find out the opened date?

Click on Help in the top taskbar (lefthand side), then click on the "? Help" sub-option.
Stick any old junk in the search bar that pops up, hit return and under the results you'll get "Still need help?". Click yes on that. Now click on the support option "Chat with a support agent in your web browser". Now put your proper question into the dialogue box. You'll go into a (small) waiting queue and then you'll get an (I presume) AI bot that will answer your question.

You used to be able to access the date via your profile/account, but they took that away years ago.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

I have a feeling mine may narrowly predate that. But I'll never know, as I've completely forgotten both my login and password. Think I've got a Yahoo! Mail, too. 

Not active then ;) :P

• Like 1

Â