General Chat

Stevo985

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

So, over Christmas I decided that I miss my family and friends in the UK more than I love my fancy job title.  Since becoming a Dad at the end of August I seem to have developed a laser focus on what my real priorities are and they're a lot different than they were a couple of years ago.

On January 4th I resigned my position and will move back to England in February.  I really like Vancouver, and have made some good friends in my 18 months here, but my parents are in their early 80s and my wife's family have no other grandchildren / nieces or nephews.  I just see far more value in spending time with those who are important to me than the life I lead over here.

It's a gamble, but I'm planning to create a new life that has all the things I really enjoy and include my favourite elements of my work. Ideally some consultancy, some lecturing, and still some work travel.

I've spent over half of my 15 year career living overseas in Nuremberg, Amsterdam and Vancouver but (for now at least) home is where the heart is.  I genuinely can't wait.

I think you've made a brilliant decision and a very wise decision.  Kudos to you.  Some people go a lot longer into life before realising what's truly important.  I hope and believe you will be much much happier in your own skin from here on in.  Bravo sir :thumb:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I think you've made a brilliant decision and a very wise decision.  Kudos to you.  Some people go a lot longer into life before realising what's truly important.  I hope and believe you will be much much happier in your own skin from here on in.  Bravo sir :thumb:

On the other hand, me and mine have been talking about moving to Canada with a 1 year old.  We'd have to wait until he is at school age, but we figured we'd be giving him a great start in life if he/we got Canadian citizenship.

Family is the only thing stopping us, and after reading that, it does make you realise how much you rely on your family.

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

So, over Christmas I decided that I miss my family and friends in the UK more than I love my fancy job title.  Since becoming a Dad at the end of August I seem to have developed a laser focus on what my real priorities are and they're a lot different than they were a couple of years ago.

On January 4th I resigned my position and will move back to England in February.  I really like Vancouver, and have made some good friends in my 18 months here, but my parents are in their early 80s and my wife's family have no other grandchildren / nieces or nephews.  I just see far more value in spending time with those who are important to me than the life I lead over here.

It's a gamble, but I'm planning to create a new life that has all the things I really enjoy and include my favourite elements of my work. Ideally some consultancy, some lecturing, and still some work travel.

I've spent over half of my 15 year career living overseas in Nuremberg, Amsterdam and Vancouver but (for now at least) home is where the heart is.  I genuinely can't wait.

Glad to hear it mate. I'm a bit behind you in terms of experience but I had a similar thought. I came back from Poland because I wanted to start a career in the UK. After 5 months back in the UK, I realised that I really missed Poland and my job. I think it's such an important lesson that it's okay to go back. It's okay to have made a decision and to go back on it. I'm the happiest I've been in months because of it.

I feel like it's implied that you're not allowed to change your mind these days. If I was telling kids coming out of high school one thing, it would be that it's fine to go back on a decision, even if it's uncomfortable and awkward in the short term.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

Absolutely Stefan.  And you'll still be richer for having gone in the first place.  At least you know then, rather than wondering.  Never let pride get in the way of anything.  It's such a horrible and unnecessary trait to carry around with you.

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Glad to hear it mate. I'm a bit behind you in terms of experience but I had a similar thought. I came back from Poland because I wanted to start a career in the UK. After 5 months back in the UK, I realised that I really missed Poland and my job. I think it's such an important lesson that it's okay to go back. It's okay to have made a decision and to go back on it. I'm the happiest I've been in months because of it.

I feel like it's implied that you're not allowed to change your mind these days. If I was telling kids coming out of high school one thing, it would be that it's fine to go back on a decision, even if it's uncomfortable and awkward in the short term.

So are you back in Lodz then? 

7 minutes ago, Eames said:

So are you back in Lodz then? 

Indeed. Hoping to carve myself a career in the technical side of service desk, then leading into management. Talked to my bosses about it so hopefully ir can become a reality :)

I left the UK in 2010 and never really missed it at all. All I really missed was bacon and HP sauce and now, living in Sofia, I can pop to the corner shop for.

What I really DO miss are my friends and life in Istanbul. Underneath it was the most incredible city in the world. I miss it more than England.

I do, however, believe in making your own experiences. I don't regret leaving Turkey but I do miss it. Bulgaria is a very different country but I have a very different life here, better job and more security. There's also the fact I have more money in my wallet and and beer is 90p.

I'm still young at 28 to do a lot more things. I quite fancy South America at some point but I want to buy 1-2 properties here first.

I want to go Rome but I want to have enough money to enjoy it properly.

I think, long term, that I will leave this country and not come back. I need the required qualifications to do what I wanna do before I can escape just yet, however.

By then I'll be 30ish, most likely. 30 years in the North is enough for anyone.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I'm 31 and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

I lived abroad for nearly 2 years and only missed friends, family and crusty bread.  I'd gladly leave again forever with only sporadic visits back but commitments etc. have me pretty much routed here for now.

2 hours ago, AVFCDECKY said:

Heading to Rome for the first time with my girlfriend tomorrow. We're staying close to the Termini station. Any suggestions of bars/ areas to eat or go to at night ? (Bear in mind we are 23)

Trastavere was the best nightlife area we found when we went (8 years ago), its a studenty, bohemian area. We walked it but it was a fair trek (we weren't staying too far from Termini). 

You might get more responses in the travel thread :)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I lived abroad for nearly 2 years and only missed friends, family and crusty bread.  I'd gladly leave again forever with only sporadic visits back but commitments etc. have me pretty much routed here for now.

I always thought I'd like a spell working abroad and applied for a job in Sri Lanka once and wasn't that far away from getting it. Always fancied Hong Kong or Singapore, working in the finance industry. However, as I fast approach 40, maybe my time has passed. 

I always thought I'd like a spell working abroad and applied for a job in Sri Lanka once and wasn't that far away from getting it. Always fancied Hong Kong or Singapore, working in the finance industry. However, as I fast approach 40, maybe my time has passed. 

Just think, you could have been Nick Leeson.

I had a few beers once in Leeson's local in Singapore. Harry's Bar in Clarke Quay. 

Mike, have you read Rogue Trader? I don't know how he coped with hiding his losses for so long! The stress would have finished me long before that. 

Edited by Xela

Depends on your commitments. Age is just a number.

Â