General Chat

Stevo985

I live in fear that my organs will be harvested before the doctors have checked that I'm really dead.

I mean, what if someone has my eyes? Will they see what I see? OMG, what if they have my heart? They'll feel what I feel?

Cobblers.

I can understand privacy concerns given the current climate but questioning doctors' integrity is something that reeks of paranoia rather than an opinion backed by evidence.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

I can understand privacy concerns given the current climate but questioning doctors' integrity is something that reeks of paranoia rather than an opinion backed by evidence.

As opposed to an opinion that reeks of naïvety. IMHO of course. Organ operations == money. It would be in the hospital's; and therefore the doctor's; interests to have the organs and by extension be less vigourous with treatment of the inevitable donor. Or do people really need it spelt out in the form of more hidden-camera documentaries exposing malpractice. It's that head-in-the-sand everyone-else-is-a-conspiracy-nut thinking that has let people in positions of power abuse it :-/

As opposed to an opinion that reeks of naïvety. IMHO of course. Organ operations == money. It would be in the hospital's; and therefore the doctor's; interests to have the organs and by extension be less vigourous with treatment of the inevitable donor. Or do people really need it spelt out in the form of more hidden-camera documentaries exposing malpractice. It's that head-in-the-sand everyone-else-is-a-conspiracy-nut thinking that has let people in positions of power abuse it :-/

But wouldn't those problems (harvesting and not being treated vigorously when a donor) already exist for those that have opted in under the current system?

More so possibly because there are less donors (in theory), so more of a need to "hurry things along" to make organs available.

Edited by Stevo985

But wouldn't those problems (harvesting and not being treated vigorously when a donor) already exist for those that have opted in under the current system?

More so possibly because there are less donors (in theory), so more of a need to "hurry things along" to make organs available.

Yes. And you've actively chosen that route. These would be people who perhaps didn't choose it. They found themselves in the situation.

If it is regulated correctly then there is less of an issue.

Abuse of power comes from poor regulation & as a consequence no one being held to account (particularly in large organisations like the NHS).

It reminds me of the old euthanasia debate wherein 'panels of death' would inevitably decide who could die and fears that people who could still live comfortably for x amount of years would be killed 'for their own good' but really the nasty doctors and politicians just want them dead for their organs or other such nonsense.

It's fine to be cautious but to stand strongly against a good policy (in my opinion) based largely on mistrust can't do anyone any favours.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Euthanasia is a similar debate but instead of doctors, it becomes family members who stand to inherit who are putting emotional pressure and guilt onto someone to end it before their time. Making a very fragile and vulnerable person feel like they're being a financial burden by stubbornly staying alive. So similar reasoning but a different 'panel of death' :)

You're also not taking into account the 50-50 decisions where both courses of action could be justified medically and all of a sudden there's a bias towards one route over the other where there wasn't before. Those intangibles aren't taken into account by correct regulation. A lot of it happens 'on the ground' and as such the abuse of power wouldn't need to be held to account because, by the letter, nothing wrong would have been done.

Basically, by implementing it you are giving them a system that can be abused, whether you try to regulate it or not, and we've seen over and over again that opportunity will be seized.

On the Benefits vs Work debate, I can see why he has a decision to make. Imagine all the things you could do with your life if you didn't spend the best part of every week doing meaningless work for someone else? 

I could definitely see why he might not take the job as he'd basically be giving up his free time for £70 a week.

It sucks, and it's completely wrong, but it's the fault of the 'system' rather than the individual. As Meath says, he should be given no choice about the matter.

I see what you are saying but how many people on benefit actually do anything constructive with their free time, or could afford to? Its not as though they are learning or bettering themselves is it? Its what me and you might do but they wouldn't have the same view on things. The fact the person is having to think about taking the job says more about the person. 

I moan about work etc but it gets me out the house, I get on well with most people and in truth, i'd miss it if i was off on long term sick or was made unemployed. 

I hate the idea of my carcass lying on a slab having my organs harvested. Stupid, I know, but it really bothers me. 

I'd hate the idea of someone's loved one dying because they needed an organ and there wasn't enough to go around. If I was in need of kidney or whatever, then I would gratefully accept a donated one. Saying that, I don't carry a donor card. Mainly as I have never got around to signing up!

• Like 1

On the Benefits vs Work debate, I can see why he has a decision to make. Imagine all the things you could do with your life if you didn't spend the best part of every week doing meaningless work for someone else? 

I could definitely see why he might not take the job as he'd basically be giving up his free time for £70 a week.

It sucks, and it's completely wrong, but it's the fault of the 'system' rather than the individual. As Meath says, he should be given no choice about the matter.

I see what you are saying but how many people on benefit actually do anything constructive with their free time, or could afford to? Its not as though they are learning or bettering themselves is it? Its what me and you might do but they wouldn't have the same view on things. The fact the person is having to think about taking the job says more about the person. 

I moan about work etc but it gets me out the house, I get on well with most people and in truth, i'd miss it if i was off on long term sick or was made unemployed. 

I 100% agree with everything you've said, I just felt that I'd made enough disparaging comments towards the jobless for one week.

Edited by Shillzz

I hate the idea of my carcass lying on a slab having my organs harvested. Stupid, I know, but it really bothers me. 

I'd hate the idea of someone's loved one dying because they needed an organ and there wasn't enough to go around. If I was in need of kidney or whatever, then I would gratefully accept a donated one. Saying that, I don't carry a donor card. Mainly as I have never got around to signing up!

'zackly. and there are millions in the same boat .... this new measure saves lives, and thus i'm all for it. When you're dead, well .... you're dead!

Slightly academic argument on in / out donors if you already carry the card. The small print on that Welsh thing is that they will still seek family consent wherever possible.

The missus and me have an agreement, on death they can have any bits that are useful or frankly just get students to practise surgery on the body. Disposing of the remains will be by the cheapest means available at the time, not worth spending good mourning party money on a fancy coffin or whatever.

Â