PL: Wigan h 2009/08/15 Ratings and Reactions

bickster

One thing to say after this awful performance:

The players who were booed and the fans who booed them deserve each other.

Too bad for the decent fans, though. They did not deserve this crap.

The fans who booed that pile of shite off today are also 'decent' fans..... they also didn't deserve that crap.....shame you don't understand the difference.....

Enjoy your happy-clapping for the rest of the season - by the way, we're the team in claret and blue....

But surely booing the team you support sort of contradicts the term 'supporter' no? I'm all for people being pissed off about today and rightfully so. But it was funny around me seeing some tossers stay around for the final whistle for the sole reason of booing them, just so they could feel happy inside and then leave. :crylaugh:

Well anyone who pays money to watch that utter dross deserves to boo. Personally I blame Oniell loose 2 of our best players and they are still not replaced its a farce

Friedel - 6

Beye - 2

Davies - 5

Cuellar - 4

Shorey - 4

Milner 6

Young - 6

Petrov - 4

Delph - 4

Heskey- 2

Gabby - 2

Albrighton - 5

Sidwell - 5

I really could not understand MON's tactics today absolutely mind bogoling....biggest disgrace was NRC not starting.

The fans who booed that pile of shite off today are also 'decent' fans..... they also didn't deserve that crap.....shame you don't understand the difference.....

Enjoy your happy-clapping for the rest of the season - by the way, we're the team in claret and blue....

But surely booing the team you support sort of contradicts the term 'supporter' no? I'm all for people being pissed off about today and rightfully so. But it was funny around me seeing some tossers stay around for the final whistle for the sole reason of booing them, just so they could feel happy inside and then leave. :crylaugh:

What an utterly self-righteous view-point to have. The term 'supporter' means paying money to watch your team, are you telling me that someone who goes to every home & away game would not be classed as a 'true supporter' because 'he' decided to boo a completely abject performance? Of course not, so stop spouting shite.

It seems that some people can't win... you get tossers moaning when people leave before the end... and now we've got you saying some fans stayed behind to boo just to make them feel better? What **** planet are you on? :lol:

For the record, I don't boo. But as a fan supporting the wages of gutless individuals wearing the colours that most of us would LOVE to play in, if they play as utterly shite as they did today, a rational person would both expect and accept a certain amount of booing from other fans.

Comprende?

Well anyone who pays money to watch that utter dross deserves to boo. Personally I blame Oniell loose 2 of our best players and they are still not replaced its a farce

Gotta agree with that....where is the world class defender and midfielder signing bcoz thats what the players we lost were.

The worst performance since Randy arrived.

Friedel - 5 - Looked baffled.

As a unit I wouldn't trust our back four to defend Mother Theresa on an assault charge. As Individuals:

Shorey - 6 - The best of our back four for me today, at times he reached the dizzy heights of steady.

Cuellar - 4 - Not big enough, not quick enough, not good enough in the air, not a leader and not good enough on the ball. Other than that...

Davies - 4 - A shambles today. Completely unable to judge the flight of a ball or read an opposition player. Dreadful.

Beye - 5 - One or two decent things, but doesn't look the solid defensive full back that this back four needs.

As a group, they received absolutely no cover at all from our midfield, which featured a 19 year old and three players who are really much more suitable for a 4-5-1

Young - 4 - Great with the ball at his feet, today his crossing wasn't good enough and his decision making was poor. That'll come I think as he settles into the season. What was much more worrying was his attitude, this was a player that seemed to think he was better than the game. He was eventually booked for a foul, but Mr Clattenberg would have been entirely justified in writing whingeing, diving, cry baby in the notebook. He's in danger of becoming a player I love, but don't like very much. He needs to catch a look at himself.

Petrov - 4 - not mobile enough for a 4-4-2 in my opinion. Solid on the ball, good passing, but can't follow runners and can't get into the box. Perfectly suited to a 4-5-1.

Delph - 6 - So-so debut, I thought he looked nervous but energetic and he got around the place and got involved. Not a great game to make a debut in, especially at 19.

Milner - 7 - Best of our midfield, so obviously a perfect candidate to go into the back four.

They received no support from a front two of

Heskey - 4 - Gave us a target, but looked as likely to score as Gordon Brown at Flares.

Agbonlahor - 1 - This is the worst performance I've ever seen from Gabby. I'm a big fan and come into this season with high hopes for him, but he'll need to do much, much better than this. Good players impose their personality on the game; there are games that revolve around Carew and his strength, Young and his trickery, even Reo Coker and his energy, good players make the game about the thing they do well. Nothing at all came from Gabby today, he may be capable of a lot more on a football pitch than Michael Gambon, but today either would have been equally effective.

Now, I'm not usually one for rants and I know this is one, but this is truly worrying. All credit to Wigan who performed well and should be comfortably safe from relegation this season, but we looked shambolic.

Disorganised, without a plan, lazy and unmotivated we look like an accident waiting to happen.

A crowd of a little over 35,000 suggests that the lack of enthusiasm on the pitch is reflected across the city. The Randylution has stalled.

Martin O'Neill will need to turn things around very quickly because I get the sense that he is losing the crowd very quickly and I'm not sure he's even noticed.

This is as bad as I've felt about a Villa side for several years.

Totally agree mate

Heskey- Not good enough. It's as simple as that. Squad player at very best.

You chat shit.

I agreed with one thing; what you said about Milner.

Heskey (closely followed by Sidwell) was our best player today by a mile, so i'm guessing you treat him as a scapegoat, just like Shorey.

You can tell them two are scapegoats, 'cause if they give the ball away, they get a mouthful of abuse, but if its Young or Petrov, no reaction whatsoever.

It appears that it is you that is 'chatting shit' as you are clearly forming incorrect conclusions about my opinion. :thumb:

Have I not just said how poor Petrov was and how over-rated Young is? So that puts your arguement to bed then.

And I fail to see how you can actually type that 'Heskey was our best player by a mile today' without a sly grin appearing across your face? "By a mile" would infer that he actually had quite a decent game, and as such, I'd love you to recall anything remotely productive Emily did in the game today or even better, provide me with some video evidence.

I obviously blink for longer than I thought because I missed what contribution he made to the game today? And no, he's not a scapegoat, he's just not good enough, as were the other 10 starting players today.

Well some wondered it before, did our brilliant preseason give a false sense of where we are...yes it did!

Defence

Shaky, shaky, shaky! Early on, Cuellar and Davies were brilliant aerially, won loads of tricky headers, but as the team faded and hid away, the defence stopped attacking balls and forcing the whole game forward. They dropped deeper and deeper meaning every time the ball fell to a Wigan player, which was quite a **** lot, they were already right up by our box.

Full backs not good at all. At Newcastle Beye always looked very dangerous bombing forward, did he cross the half way line? Has he been told to stay back? Won some nice tackles early on, but even they were last ditch after he'd been caught out of position.

Yes Martin we need a left back, we've needed one for 3 months, why the piss havn't we got one yet? Do you think Sam Allardyce would rather you'd started bidding now, or got it sorted a week into the window. Would you like it if Chelsea suddenly started bidding for Milner now?

Yes Martin replacing a brilliant player like Laursen is difficult why have you not gone out and found someone to come in?

Needs a hell of a lot of work, but can only see one more player, probably a centre half.

Midfield - THIS IS THE PROBLEM

We have good wingers, that is a fact. Milner chugged his way through, and aside from banging a few awful free-kicks over the bar, I thought tried to do the right thing and put a lot in. Still looks a shadow of what we saw in preseason.

Ashley Young can just go away if he thinks what we saw today is acceptable, I hope MON absolutely tore him apart in the changing room after. Yes it's not easy when you are constantly being marked by up to 4 men as he was today, but how dare you walk around the pitch not giving a shit about the game you’re being paid thousands of pounds to play in. I think he is a serious huff that Milner is getting national plaudits for coming on for England and showing him how to attack a player without hurling oneself to the deck as soon as any touch is applied. Ashley, dribbling up to a player, then kicking the ball past them, then falling over is not a foul. Squaring up to Michael Brown because you're having a bad game? Sort yourself out lad, would he ever go up broad street with that cocky little upstart attitude? He'd get his head kicked in. That episode where he was pretending to be injured for about 10 mins was a joke, turning his back on the ball so he basically launched a Wigan attack...utter joke. He's a class player, probably our best to be honest, but he'll get no where that's anywhere if this is going to be his attitude. You're close son, but not there yet, get back to trying to beat your man and put the ball in the bloody box and you will be on that plane to SA, any more of this hissy fit bollocks, and Capello will drop you quicker than you can say "Dive".

Albrighton wanted it. He came on, had a bit of a blergh 5 mins, then put in a lovely corner and constantly went searching for the ball. Start him at Anfield, get him in the side, get him closing players down, get him doing uncomplicated things wingers are meant to do.

The centre of the pitch is where we are desperate. I really like Delph, put in some nice tackles, couple of naughty ones, but I hope to God this is not what MON had planned for his MON replacement, oh wait of course it is, he does not look abroad and he is seriously reluctant if a player is not of British decent. Delph has a big future, I think he'll have a big season, but only in a 451 for me. He was terrified early on, a couple of times when he tried to take the ball on the turn he ended up getting the ball stuck and having to go backwards, putting us under more pressure.

Petrov looked very slow and pondering, but the worst thing from our entire play today was the hiding that went on. It was like some of the boys in the TA undercover the way we always managed to have no one in the centre of the pitch. Didn't want to have to mention it this early but my god how obvious was it Barry wasn't there! Yes he wasn't quick, yes he couldn't shoot very well, but he would ALWAYS show for the ball, he would ALWAYS take it in really tight situations, and 99% of the time he didn't lose it, and he found another player in our shirt. Need a big player to replace him or a change of formation. We won't get a player, we've been waiting 3 months, why would O'Neill bother now? So itll have to be change, hopefully to 451.

NRC has been mentioned. I despise him as a footballer. He can't control, pass, head, shoot, create, cross, take set pieces, not really very good for a centre mid. One of his best games for us was at Anfield 2 years ago (the Marlon Harewood Show) so he could be thrown in just to provide a bit of pressure on the ball, but personally I think Delph can do that, he just needs someone to take charge and go forward playing with him. We need a change, I don't know.

Strikers

Neither had a good game, but that really isn't the whole story.

Emile, why can you not stay on your feet? WHY!?

Gabby, did you hear that massive cheer when you chased Bramble right across their box and won a throw, do that more often mate cos you're a very limited footballer and you need to put pressure on the ball as it's donkey work and that is most of all you're good for. For the rest of the time you did nothing.

I will say this though, to all those people, having a go at them, all those people cheering when Gabby went off, screaming for John Carew as we're lining up for the start of a new season (what a joke that is, great way to boost their confidence, sing for a different striker who isn't playing, I bet they felt really good), what the HELL do you want them to do with the utterly repulsive service they had today?

We could have had Torres and Ibrahimovic up front today and we would have lost 2-0. I am not saying any of our forwards played well, they didn't. But all they got the whole game was huge 80 yard balls raped up the pitch to them, yes I hate it, to be honest, I bet they hate it, but it pissed me off people shouting "Stop flicking it on Heskey" and "Gabby what are you doing there?" as another stupidly massive hump up the pitch goes sailing over his head. No there is one man to blame for that style of play.

Martin O'Neill

I've been saying it all summer, but dearly hoped I'd be proved wrong first game and we'd be buzzing and...well, we'd have something. To be honest I feel a bit sick with it all. Everyone knew we had to strengthen, everyone, apparently, including O'Neill, because he comes out after we've just been embarrassed by a team that will finish outside the top 8 and says it will be difficult to replace the 2 players that needed replacing. Yes we know! That is why it would have been bloody marvelous if you could have sorted something out in the pissing 3 months you've had!

I said there would be value in O'Neill being gone before Xmas, and I may just stick a few quid down; thing is I'd love to keep the coaches, Robertson has made Young the player he is, and the players seem fit enough, and the youth all look good (more to do with youth academy I know). All the problems come from O'Neill. We sign no players, I believe Randy and the gen saying there are funds, it's O'Neill's doing. Garbage tactics, lack of ideas, no subs, no right back for 2 years, no squad after 3 years despite big money being spent, it's O'Neill's doing.

Right now, I'm watching wolves who also lost 2-0 at home, but if I was a wolves fan I'd be pretty damn happy with that. West Ham were lucky to get away with a clean sheet. What a bargain this Milijas looks, £2.3m? I'm 100% confident Martin has no idea who this man is, and he looks like someone who can play centre mid and play a good looks forward pass on the deck. I've never heard of him, but then again I'm not a prem manager, I'd be looking all over if I was not just, SPL and the football league.

Martin you've got 2 weeks to take a long hard look at this mess you've got yourself in and get some quality in. Sadly I can not see him doing this at all, and by the time January comes around, and he has the chance to bring players (ha, what a joke, O'Neill bring players in, in one month alone!), the season will be over.

Booing on the opening day during a game that we are trying to get back into is a disgrace, how on earth could you expect the players to fight back with over 30mins left in a game when there is a chorus of boos around the ground?

Everton got thumped 6-1, and were there boos going around the ground and everyone calling for Moyes to be sacked? I think not (and yes i watched the game live) Fickle fans that is what we mostly have.

One game doesn't make a season.

If we are still playing dross at Xmas and are mid table or worse then there may be some argument for the booing, but on the 1st day is (in the words of MON) Totally unacceptable, however poor we were.

Let's look on the bright side, it should spur MON to go out and buy!

UTV

My first match was 1996 and that was the first time i have left before the 90 was up. I left early due to a combination of fans getting on the players backs and the performance - we were abject but booing and abusing individual players really isnt going to help.

Although I don't condone it, I can fully understand people booing, and think it is their right considering they pay their money, but when a gentleman behind me unleashed a tirade against Heskey for not going for the ball when he was in fact in an offside position made me think that perhaps most of the people who boo are morons and the team would perform better without their 'support'.

HOW ELSE DO WE LET THE BOARD KNOW THAT WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH,I WONDER IF THEY READ THESE FORUMS.BY CHRISTMAS IT WILL BE TO LATE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT...IT NEEDS SORTING NOW AND MON HAD 3 MONTHS TO GET THINGS DONE AND WE ARE WORSE OFF THAN AT THE END OF LAST SEASON...WE NEED A TOP OVERSEAS MANAGER THAT WILL STOP BUYING UP ALL THE RUBBISH B CLASS ENGLISH "TALENT" AND GET SOME CLASS PLAYERS IN...CHRIST I COULD WIN THE SPL TITLE WITH CELTIC ITS A COIN TOSS EVERY SEASON UP THERE,AND WHY HAS THE FIVE YEAR PLAN DISSAPEARED ALL OF A SUDDEN,MON GO NOW

I think i posted whilst very drunk last night but can't find it so i will make a sober but hungover contribution.

Firstly the booing, people can boo if they want to in my opinion and yesterdays was fully justified unlike the booing when we played Wigan last season.

Young, he needs a reality check! poor crossing and though i think everyone should have some self belief he really thinks he is better than he is and really needs to be careful with his cry baby diving as we the fans will turn on him for that, its shameful!!

Gabby seems to have bulked up but not only lost pace but got worse asa player, bith him anf Heskey did nothing today.

Defence + Joke

Add this game to the list of end of season games and it does not make pretty reading, im losing faiyj in MON.

Just woken up, and the 1st thing I thought was... How must NRC and Sidwell feel having been benched for an unfit Petrov and a 19 year old with no prem experience?!?!

Now I think about it WTF is O'Neill on? I believe there is something about Delph, but in yesterdays team selection, he has more than likely pissed of 2 established team players and affected the confidence of another.

I keep thinking back to yesterdays game, I haven't been that disappointed in years. There was so much wrong with it. 1st time I haven't kept my tickets as souvenirs, they went in the bin, 1st time i've left my programme under my seat, 1st time in a long time i've left before the whistle too... So disappointed because like everyone else on here i dont think MON will/can get it right, hes had 3 years to get the bones of the squad together, 3 months to buy a sodding CM and CB and has done neither...

Were doomed...

People laughed in the summer when we were linked to Titus Bramble, one things for sure, we'd have done well to have him in our team yesterday, hardly put a foot wrong,

Scharner also showed why we tried to sign him, oddly enough in the position that we wanted him for.

i thought i would give it a while before i responded as i was so angry yesterday.

i am not suprised at all we lost this game. defensively i knew we wasnt good enough. you play a cb with a bad shoulder injury, a lb who is completely crap and a rb who was signed so late that like delph was thrown straight in what do you expect?

mon is being shown up to be an absolute baffon. he alwyas take his time signing these players who do not get a proper pre season. he plays a half fit petrov ahead of NRC who has looked very good in pre season. laughable

mon has wasted 12m on downing who isnt even ready to play until december was it worth it? we could possibly get van da vaart for less and at least we could have played him now not wait until january!

the worrying thing for me is in mons after comments he doesnt mention bringing in new blood at all. if he does not get at least 4 players in by the end of teh wiondown expect 8th at best

I'm probably more gutted now than after the match, we have been defending shite since December and still look clueless at the back. Shorey is a horrible little player, I have never seen the light at the end of the tunnel with Davies only a player that panics with the ball at his feet (instead of the cultured defender some think), and looks lost without Laursen to cover over his faults. Cuellar still hasn't done enough to make me believe he is the answer to our defensive problems and Beye was off the pace.

Defending starts from the front and our closing down is pathetic, we seem to let the opposition get in to our half and then start pressing. Its too easy for teams like Wigan to piss all over our midfield (Koumas, Brown, and Gomez dominated us heaven forbid we play against Chelseas'/Arsenals' midfield), we have to go to a 4-5-1 with NRC in for Gabby and Carew in for Heskey. We have enough in Milner and Young to create chances, and if we could only defend I'm sure we would create enough chances in a match to get at least one goal.

We need to get back to basics and as we are struggling to keep clean sheets put an extra man into midfield and try help our defence out. If that means we draw a few more games so be it, anything is better than being over ran game after game with 40% possession in games. Everyone can see our 4 man midfield is lightweight, yet MON baffles me with picking the same shit week in week out and some mind boggling substitutions. It seems apart from Beye/Shorey (Young/Bouma if he ever gets fit) this is how our team will line up for the rest of the season. I'm well past worried as how we will finish this year as for almost 9 months now we have been dreadful and things don't look like getting better.

I'm worried. Very worried. I never thought I'd say this, but I start to wonder if it isn't time for MON to step down. I admire the man and think he's a very good manager, but now we've been more or less awfull in more or less every game since about february. And that's not a good sign. Had it just been a loss where we at least played decent, or at least tried, I wouldn't say too much about it, but this game was one step down the ladder from the last games of the last season. And that's worrying. At the end of the last season I thought that MON would turn this around during the summer and get us back on track again, but this game showed nothing of the kind. The opposite, in fact.

For me it doesn't matter what he's done during the summer with new signings, or the lack of new signings. Not for this game. Almost every player were so bad that we should've needed to sign about 9-10 players to win that game. I think Milner, Sidwell and Albrighton would get about decent or maybe even half good. And maybe Friedel. The rest of them gets the rating "totally awfull" or "just bad" from me. They looked like boys trying to play football without know how.

Has MON done as good as he could for us and we both need to move on? Maybe. I'll give him one or two more games before I put my final judgement on him. We don't have to win for him to convince me that he still can take us further, I just want the players to try and actually play at least decent games.

Is there a curse lying over VP? I'm all for patience, but it seems like every Villa-manager can do a good job for about a little less than 3 years, and then he should be replaced. Was Ellis right...? :?